Poorly Leganza = cannot start

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DaveH

Poorly Leganza = cannot start

Post by DaveH »

Hi My Leganza SX 2L petrol (1997) refused to start one evening. RAC said it was a problem with the fule pump. Since then i have had fuel pump replaced along with relay switch (by mobile mechanic). When trying to start he gets error code 13 and cannot find anything about this code. He also states that the "fan" kicks in on turning the engine over and may be causing the problem. I am at a loss, as the mechanic is. Cannot start the car and i am ready to give up and scrap the thing. Help before i lose my mind and car.

Cheers Dave

Further info. Car lay garaged for 6 - 7 months new battery fitted and car started. ECU resetting / learning process not completed as far as i know. Speedo packed in and CEL on for few days prior to break down. Anyone got any ideas?? Please!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I can't say for sure but it sounds like a damaged ECU or a case where the ECU is going into a "protective" mode.

The ECU probably isn't giving the fuel pump a signal to turn on.

As well the fan is controlled by the ECU..... so if it's turning it on right away there must be a significant problem.

The ECU turns on the fan based upon the voltage signal coming from the coolant temperature sensor.

If it turns on the car and thinks that the coolant is really hot it will immediatly turn on the fan.

So if it is a Coolant Temp sensor it's also possible that the ECU might not let the engine start due to the fact that it thinks there is something seriously wrong with the engine temperature.

I don't know the "software" programing in the ECU so I really have no idea what it would do if it thought the coolant temperature was dangerously hot.

It's just a theory...... hopefully it helps you out.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
tango

Post by tango »

The GM Trouble Code list says that a Code 13 is an oxygen sensor or oxygen sensor circuit fault. This indicates that there is a problem somewhere in that circuit. The technician now has to do various tests (checking the actual sensor or the wires connected to it, etc) in order to find what is going wrong.

See here for more:

GM Trouble Codes

Scroll down to the bottom for the generic OBD-II list.
Cogito ergo sum...
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

very good find Tango 8)
T18SED Engine.

RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Sonds like mixed up connectors to me. O2 sensor would not stop car starting! IF connector for it connected to other cct, and the O2 to another,.... maybe this is the cause!
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Further info. Have tried re-learning process but cannot get engine to start. When shorting out and turning engine on coolant fans start up and stay on draining the battery. When shorting wire removed fans stop. My mechanic thinks it has something to do with the coolant sensor but cannot find it, any ideas.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Dave
tango

Post by tango »

I agree, there seems to be more going on than just the oxygen sensor because a car runs "fine" without it at low engine speeds.

My first advice to you is to CHANGE YOUR MECHANIC! He seems rather slow to diagnosis. If he is getting a code then his FIRST resource is the internet. A good search engine is a mechanic's best friend. I use Yahoo religiously and it works wonders for me. The fact also that he cannot find the coolant temperature sensor is another indication that he is not all that great, and above all else knows little or nothing about Daewoos. The coolant temperature sensor on the DOHC engine is located on the cylinder head under the intake manifold.
Cogito ergo sum...
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Well, first of all, I do support Tango's opinion - do change your mechanic.

In the early models (including Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Pontiac Subird 2.0 SOHC/Pontiac Lemans 1.6 and 2.0 SOHC), shorting the ALDL connector to read the ECU codes will:

- engage cooling fans
- cycle code 13 to indicate the diagnostics mode is on

Also, on distributor-equipped motors, diagnostic mode is required to set the base ignition timing.

Code will be blinked in the following manner:
- digit of the first number
- short pause
- digit of the 2nd number
- long pause

At first loop, code 13 will be displayed 3 times, followed by the actual error codes. If no other error codes are stored, code 13 will be shown in the loop mode.

Check the following:
- check timing belt for broken belt, ideally alignement of the crank gear with the camshafts
- after cranking the motor, release valve on the side of your fuel rail (looks like a bicycle tire valve) and check for fuel (be prepared for fuel spill)
- remove one of the plug leads and check for spark while cranking

Tom

Below is complete list of codes. Some of them will not apply, but then again never displayed.

12 No reference pulses to Electronic Control Module (ECM)
13 Oxygen (O2) Sensor - signal stays low ("lean") during warm engine cruise
14 Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) - signal voltage is low
15 Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) - signal voltage is high
16 High battery voltage
OR Direct Ignition System (DIS) fault - line open or shorted to ground
17 RPM signal problem
21 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - signal voltage is high during engine idle or deceleration
22 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - signal voltage is low during engine idle
OR Fuel cutoff relay circuit - open or shorted to ground
23 Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) Sensor - signal voltage is low
OR Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) error
24 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - signal is constant (no pulsing) during engine deceleration
25 Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) Sensor - signal voltage is low
OR Vacuum Switching Valve Circuit open or shorted to ground
OR ATS Sensor - signal voltage is high
31 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor - signal voltage is low
OR Fuel injector
OR CAM diagnostic
OR Governor Malfunction
OR Wastegate overboost
OR Wastegate Eletrical Signal - open or shorted to ground
32 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor circuit failure
OR Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve diagnostic switch - closed during engine startup or open when EGR flow requested by ECM
OR EGR / EVRV (Electronic Vacuum Regulator Valve)
38 Brake switch circuit failure
39 Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) circuit fault
42 Electronic Spark Timing (EST) circuit - open or shorted to ground during engine run
OR Direct Ignition System (DIS) fault - bypass circuit open or shorted ground during engine run
OR Fuel Cutoff Relay Circuit - open or shorted to ground
43 Electronic Spark Timing (EST) Circuit - low voltage detected
44 Lean exhaust indication - Oxygen (O2) Sensor voltage stays low after on or two minutes of engine run
45 Rich exhaust indication - Oxygen (O2) Sensor voltage stays high after one minute of engine run
47 Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problems - Universal Asynchronous Receiver / Transmitter (UART) link
49 Vacuum leak
51 Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problems - Programmable Read-OnlyMemory (PROM)
OR Checksum errors
52 Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problems - fuel calpac missing, analog todigital converter (A/D) error quad driver module (QDM) fault
OR Oil Temperature Sensor - signal voltage is low
53 Over voltage condition
OR Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
OR Voltage reference error
OR Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS) problems
54 Low fuel pump voltage
OR Fuel pump relay
OR Quad Driver Module (QDM) output failure
55 Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problems - ECM failure, Serial Bus error, SAD error
OR Fuel lean malfunction
58 Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS) problem
63 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor - signal voltage is high
OR Small EGR failure
OR Right Oxygen (O2) Sensor failure
64 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor - signal voltage is low
OR Medium EGR failure
OR Right Oxygen (O2) Sensor - lean condition indicated
66 Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problem - internal reset occurred