oil change!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

I've been thinking it might be a good idea to switch to synthetics in my next oil change...

I'm planning on doing my oil changes every 3000 miles or so... did one a couple days after I bought it. :)

Only have a few miles on that oil. So it'll be a while. :)
genie47
Junior

Post by genie47 »

bluecube wrote:I agree with the 5000km (or 3000miles) oil change interval. It doesnt cost much and is well worth it. I change my oil religiously before 5000km every time. And I always use proper synthetic oils. It is true that some new cars have much longer oil change intervals but they are much newer and more advanced engines than the ones used in our Daewoos (not to mention these new cars are exactly that - new and not worn like ours).
Your comment here brings me to my next point.

Time based intervals are much better and distance based intervals. 2, 3 or 4 times a year is good. Why? Distance based intervals do not take into account usage styles. A soccer mom driving a Nubira estate will clock 3000 to 4000 miles in 4 months but she is usually raking up harmful short trips.

A sales exec in his Forenza will be raking up 5000 to 6000 miles in 4 months but he covers highway miles. Both are due for a change at the same time.

However, when the Daewoo/Chevrolet manual says 10k km or 5k miles. I believe the engineers are speaking in terms of maximum recommended interval in severe usage (short trips). So anything less is OK if you got the money or ready availability of good cheap dino. Any longer is not OK.
Max

is there any timing requirement for change oil ?

Post by Max »

I didn't change my oil for a year ,because I only drive only 3K km on it . Should I do it now or wait for 5k km to change it ?
Last edited by Max on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluecube

Post by bluecube »

are you saying your car has done 30000kms without a service and u want to wait till 50000 to service it?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Not changing your oil for a full year is a very, very bad thing to do to your car. It does not matter how much you drive the car. Oil is an organic substance (comes from natural sources) and even if left alone in an engine it will deteriorate and lose is lubricating abilities and will seriously lower your engine's life.

The age-old adage still stands, regardless of new oil types and engines. Change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles! Engines can last for many, many years if you simply change the oil!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

oil is a chemical products that disinigrates by time... i'd not keep it for more than a year.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Max

Post by Max »

Yeah.my car has done 3000kms only for the whole year. Sorry it is 3,000kms not 300,000 km.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Regardless of mileage, change your oil every 3 months. It is cheap and easy and will make driving a much better experience.