Removing Cat in Lanos

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

karim
Junior

Removing Cat in Lanos

Post by karim »

Has anyone removed the cat in Lanos. Have heard that it will improve performance, and does it have o2 sensor on it. Whar are other things that can be done in the car to improve either than exhaust, and cai.
darkw00

Post by darkw00 »

I removed the cat in my leganza and I can feel a lot of difference, and it doesnt have an o2 sensor
show it
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I removed the cat from my Lanos, but he was not very happy when I woke him up.

:D

Cliff
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

lol cliff!!!!

Mat 8)
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

karim...

have you read the older threads ? :roll:

---

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz.... lol you're nuts
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
karim
Junior

Cat

Post by karim »

No I didn't read any old thread
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I fabricated a cat bypass (large steel tube with matching flanges on each end) and I found it did absolutely nothing.

The catalytic converters really are just one part of a horribly designed exhaust system which has multiple changes in pipe diameters and sharp angle crush bend radius sections.

If you really want to improve the exhaust you should really look at doing it all the way from the front to the back....headers, aftermarket catalytic converter (or bigger stock one from a different car), larger mandrel bent tubing with a low restriction muffler.
karim
Junior

Cat

Post by karim »

I used to have Daihatsu Mira, and it used to have cat which is loctaed inside the iron exhaust manifold, so I broke it away from the manifold, and what a diffrence wow. My friends couldn't beleive it's only from the cat, so I was thinking maybe because the cat was inside the maifold it wasn't free flow at all. Anyway I will take it off, my friend have done it in his BMW M3, and he said the best free power you can get :wink:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

On my old Lanos there were two devices that look like Catalytic converters....one just below the exhaust manifold and one further back under the driver's seat.

When you take off the Catalytic converter from just below the exhaust manifold you will see it's not a normal design.... it has fairly large holes for the exhaust to go through.

To be honest I don't even think it's made from Platinum.... so I don't know if it's even correct to call it a Catalytic Converter.

The flow through it is very high (tested it with compressed air) and I found no restriction on the flow test.

My personal opinion is that this device is designed to absorb heat from the exhaust as soon as the car starts up so that it regulates both the temperature and oxygen levels (makes them very even) so that the second "true" catalytic converter can do it's job better (for emissions).

When cars first start up the catalytic converter doesn't work very well.... it needs to be hot to function correctly.... and the first Cat heats up very quickly being close to the exhaust manifold.

If anything I would call it a "pre-heater" for the Catalytic converter and again..... I found abolutely no difference with it in or out.

All your doing by removing it is wrecking the environment..... the catalytic converter is a very important part of the car's emissions..... and it shouldn't create much power unless the factory cat is plugged or is of horrible design.

If you get caught with your catalytic converter removed you will recieve heavy fines and they will force you to put one back on. (probably not in Egypt....but in Europe and North America it would be a big deal)
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

you are correct, the first "cat" looking thing is a pre-heater. It is also used to burn up anything that may come through.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Mike

Post by Mike »

Just something to consider.

Catalytic converteres are actually doing harm to the environment. So if you remove it, you harm the environment, and if you keep it on, you harm the environment differently, both just as bad.

This is old news but check out this article.

http://www.junkscience.com/news2/catalyt.htm
-Mike

2000 Lanos automatic (traded in)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a part of that study which specificly talks about the way in which the manufacturers want to decrease the amount of Nitrous Oxide coming out the tail pipe......

"Car industry experts, however, favor less drastic changes. They propose cutting nitrous oxide production by adjusting catalytic converters in future models. They suspect that the gas is produced when the converter is warming up, and believe the converters could be redesigned to reach optimum temperature faster. That would also help them destroy other pollutants better."

The primary purpose of this first "pre-heater" is to do just what the article suggests..... get the exhaust/catalytic converter up to temperature very quickly to reduce the amount of Nitrous Oxide produced.

Perhaps someone will come up with a smart way to remove the Nitrous Oxide and feed it back into the engine. :D
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Would that be something along the lines of hydrogen/oxygen engines? When the engine runs, it produces steam.

Both gasses are flamable, but when combined they make water.

I wish more research & development were available & not locked away in pattents held by the big car manufacturers & oil companies.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't want to get too off topic but there are two types of Oxygen/Hydrogen engines.... one is a mechanical device similar to that of a regular gasoline engine (not very efficent...30% efficency) and the other is a Hydrogen/Oxygen fuel cell which produces electricity to drive electric motors (high efficency in the 80% range).

Both produce the reaction 2 H^2 + 0^2 = 2 H20 and the water comes out as steam due to the temperature of reaction

I have a great deal of research on various fuel cells and my friend used to work for Ballard/Chrysler on a fuel cell project.

Let me know if you want any info.... I can post it in another link.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Erfinder wrote:The primary purpose of this first "pre-heater" is to do just what the article suggests..... get the exhaust/catalytic converter up to temperature very quickly to reduce the amount of Nitrous Oxide produced.
It still is not effective enough. The auto industry has been using these for a long time now and the problem persists. My old 88 Hyundai Excel had this setup.

Honestly I believe it has to do with the oil industry and not that that "they" (auto engineers) cannot come up with something better. I am sure they have more effective ways of reducing polutants than this old 70's/80's cat converter design. This converter setup makes it so cars are less efficient and use more fuel, thus keeping the oil industry happy. Another thing, honestly, it's 2004, back in the 80's economy cars got the same or only a little worse fuel mileage than now, you think auto engineers haven't designed better engines that use less fuel? Using less fuel also equates to less pollution. It's all a big crock if you ask me.
-Mike

2000 Lanos automatic (traded in)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier