Lite weight crank pully... is it worth it?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

karim
Junior

Re: performance Vs. engine life span

Post by karim »

Ok tell us the review and don't take your time :badgrin: .
Anything new about the NOS project.
Zikas wrote:thank you all fro the very nice technical info u gave me and i think i would go for it since that i sawped my 1.6 L engine to 2.0 L and the engine i got is not that perfect as of the internals and stuff like this but it was done coz i was looking for some performance increase so i will buy the pulley and give u some feed back later (and by the way when changing the pulley i already have to change the seals coz they leeking oil so new seals + a new light waight pulley will go longer than all ather parts in the engine )

and i am thinking of NOS so the hell with the engine life span
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the vectra one weights approximatly 2/3 of the Nubira one... assuming the nubi one is 2 kgm then the V one is about 1.4 kgm

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

That's not much diffrence but you guve it a try.
MMamdouh wrote:the vectra one weights approximatly 2/3 of the Nubira one... assuming the nubi one is 2 kgm then the V one is about 1.4 kgm

MMamdouh
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You probably won't gain much in the way of horsepower..... but the car will definitly feel like it has more power due to the quick throttle response.... the engine will rev up quicker and drop revs quicker after shifts.

My Optra 5 was horrible... it seemed like it took about 3 seconds for the RPM's to drop by 1500RPM (to match RPM on next gear)

With the lightweight underdrive pulley it has gotten better..... throttle response was noticeably crisper....but it still isn't as good as I would like.

Most of the weight is on the flywheel.... it's extreemly heavy.

I plan on using a lightweight flywheel.... on some cars you will find a slight drop in Torque and thus power.... but the car will feel way faster and perform better.

Personally.... I think the lighter the better.... but at the same time I could care less about engine longevity.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Better a lightened Flywheel, less weight to move for engine. better acceleration, rough idle speed though, and easier to stall.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

indeed we tried a fly wheel from a 1.5 as it was miles liter than the 2.0 one but the bolt pattern didn't match... i don't know if that was the case or we just compared them wrongly but the weight difference is very tempting.

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

Did you install the pulley.
MMamdouh wrote:indeed we tried a fly wheel from a 1.5 as it was miles liter than the 2.0 one but the bolt pattern didn't match... i don't know if that was the case or we just compared them wrongly but the weight difference is very tempting.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yes we did... Zikas will give feedback as he is the one that tested the car, no change in alternator charge whatsoever as i expected.

MMamdouh
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

If you can, go for it "M". get the old one to a machine shop, and get the metal removed via drilling, skimming etc... just be careful about the weakening effects. One of the best things you can do to a stock!! car mate, you will feel the results.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

our machine shops suck so probably they will mess up the fly wheel in the process... i really wanted the 1.5 fly wheel to fit as it is may liter than the 2.0 one.

MMamdouh
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Hummm... then we have a problem. BTW, does the layshaft fit in to the Flywheel center?, because this may be slightly larger diameter too!! Maybe a 1.8 ltr Opel one might fit, i remember one model had a lightened flywheel, or was it a 2.0 version of the Astra. they did a "Sporty" version, and i think there was a 1.6 version too. I know they had a closer ratio gear-box... all makes good acceleration, which by the sound of it, is what you are aiming to get.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

here is the thing... when we swapped the 1.6 with the current 2.0 we tryed to use the fly wheel off the 1.6 but the center hole for the crank shaft didn't fit the 2.0 crank... we had to use the fly wheel of the 2.0, the 8 holes arround the hole did alighen though.

when we compared the 1.5 and 2.0 fly wheels we saw that the center hole is a bit larger on the 1.5 so it will fit on the 2.0 crank... only the 8 holes arround it didn't alighn correctly.

i don't think the 1.6 fly wheel was lighter than the 2.0... the 1.5 is loads lighter.

MMamdouh
Zikas

feed back

Post by Zikas »

guys after swaping the pulley with a lighter one the feedback came to be very good the response time is better the top speed per shift was incresed and the top speed was some thing like 230 or somthing coz my speedo is 220 so it was going to break the needle so i backed off but after all it is better and also the fuel consumption was better i made 380 Kilos with 22 Liters of 92 octane fuel and this is gr8

and for the flywheel i hope it fits coz i think it will so next time me and MMAMDOUH will meet we will test it ISA
Zikas The Great (Nubira)
karim
Junior

Re: feed back

Post by karim »

That's good. Flywheel will be even better in response. have tried it before in my Toyota and found out that the rpm revs fast and lowers fast too but found the engine wasn't stable so I took it off but maybe mine was real light one it was made by TRD. Would like to know when you hit 225-230km where is your rpm.
Zikas wrote:guys after swaping the pulley with a lighter one the feedback came to be very good the response time is better the top speed per shift was incresed and the top speed was some thing like 230 or somthing coz my speedo is 220 so it was going to break the needle so i backed off but after all it is better and also the fuel consumption was better i made 380 Kilos with 22 Liters of 92 octane fuel and this is gr8

and for the flywheel i hope it fits coz i think it will so next time me and MMAMDOUH will meet we will test it ISA
karim
Junior

Re: feed back

Post by karim »

Wow that very good I make like 15KM per litter so u make better than me :)
Zikas wrote:guys after swaping the pulley with a lighter one the feedback came to be very good the response time is better the top speed per shift was incresed and the top speed was some thing like 230 or somthing coz my speedo is 220 so it was going to break the needle so i backed off but after all it is better and also the fuel consumption was better i made 380 Kilos with 22 Liters of 92 octane fuel and this is gr8