Over Heating??????????

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Vlatkovic2

Over Heating??????????

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

Yea I have a question, when I am driving my temperature gauge needle is a little bit lower than half ways. When I hit a red light and I stop the needle will start going up, pretty fast, and as soon as I press the gas again it goes back down to were it was very fast. I have a 2000 lanos

HELP!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

are your fans working behind the radiator? besides that do you have enough coolant in the resevoir? only other thing i can think of is a possible thermostat going out. not the housing but just the thermostat itself. if it is that you'll need to get the whole thing though.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Vlatkovic2

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

Yea I checked both of my electric fans are still going and I have plenty of coolant. Is it a bad thing when The thermostat goes out?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yes it can be. but usually in daewoos when the thermo goes out the whole housing busts open and sprays coolant everywhere. it happened to mine and a couple of other people. its a very weak point since its made out of plastic. besides that i can't think of anything else. do you get a CEL (check engine light) at all?

nick

Vlatkovic2

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

no my check engine light is not on.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

my only suggestion is to get the thermostat changed then to be on the safe side. they're only like $20 or so. if you can't get one from an old daewoo dealership get one from a chevy aveo. same part. don't tell them its for a daewoo or they'll probably try to over price it. someone else might be able to track it down but thats the only thing i can think of.

nick

Vlatkovic2

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

so does that mean that my car is actually overheating or not? and If I dont change it can it mess up my car?
Vlatkovic2

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well i'm not sure if it is actually overheating or not it might just be a faulty sensor as well but i'm not at home to look up where the sensor is. or it might even just be the needle is loose but i don't think it would move randomly only when you accelerate. and if it is over heating it can damage your engine. if i was you i would be safe and buy the thermostat housing, since its cheap, and replace it to see if it still does it. if it does then it has to be a faulty sensor or something.

nick

Vlatkovic2

Post by Vlatkovic2 »

yea because I dont feel my engine overheating, I'll just buy that one off ebay just to be on the safe side
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the part on ebay is the correct one you should buy... the point is: is your thermostate really busted?? anyways it is better to get that one and keep it as a spare as the housing is made of some weak compound and it will eventually break and leak all your coolant.

now you said your fans kick on, when the do that do they run on the low speed or the high speed?
does both fans work or just one?
what kind of coolant do you use?
when was the last time you flushed your system?
how old is your water pump?
what if you kept the car at ahalt and the engine running, will the gauge reach the red zone?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

it sounds to me like your water pump is going out.

when the car is driving.. higher revs then idle... the coolant is moving but when your stoped coolant is not moving and heats up.

try reving the motor to 2k when your at idle and its heating up

we ran into this problem alot when i was working at a lub shop
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

you know i totally forgot about the water pump. i just went straight into the thermostat. :oops:

nick

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

Do I need the thermostat?

Here it's always hot so what the point of the thermostat for me?

I had the same problem on my first car. (Chevy Lumina 1996) it did the same thing when the car stops for a red light the needle goes to the redline but when I turn on the A/C the needle goes back to normal.

But our cars work the opposite way so when the A/C is on it heats up the car and when the A/c is off the car takes a while to heat up to normal.

But it think it's your water pump going bad.
T18SED Engine.

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

if you removed the thermostate then you will have problems in warming up the engine as well as driving in highways at low RPMs... the engine will be too cold to operate normally and performance as well as fuel economy will suffer.

no matter how hot it is you must have the thermostate on.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267