bored out TB???

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanos2001
Expert

bored out TB???

Post by lanos2001 »

bit of a newbie question but i never really thought about it until now.

if i were to bore out the Throttle Body would i have to get a new butterfly? or does it not matter since once you turn on the car the butterfly is open a bit anyways at idle?

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

You can bore all the way before the butterfly.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

their is two cases here:

bore the entire TB path then you will be needing a new butterfly as the old one will be too small and will allow too much air to go into the engine which will result in high revs at idle.

bore the path before and after the butterfly... it is not as effective as boring the whole path but you get to keep the OEM butterfly.

a better solution will be getting a TB out of a 2.0... some people say they won't fit but i got ton of pics that say it fits, it will be better to bore the intake port behind the TB to match the TB's port so that you get the optimum performance out of the swap.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

okay cool guys. thanks. i figured you had to just bore before and after the butterfly. just wanted to make sure before i start to do that. i don't wanna do the 2.0l one just b/c you have to, from what i hear, drill out the hole for some reason b/c the bolts are diff width.

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

hey nick... what are you using that hood scoop for? nothing... that's what i thought...

why don't you do the top mount tb like i was talking about. it takes about a week to get it fabbed up and would work with your scoop for a ram-air style application...

that would be bad! :twisted:
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

uummm..... kinda mechanically impaired here. :roll: i'm not seeing how your fabbing it up since the tb is at the side of the intake mani. pm me or write here on what your doing exactly. oh and i just haven't gotten around to just putting spacers at least to utilize the scoop. so :P :lol:

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

use a 3" hole saw to cut a hole square in the middle of the manifold... at about a 45 degree angle.

use a band-saw and cut the neck off the manifold where the throttlebody sits now.

weld a plate to cover where the manifold was (clean if up with a grinder)

weld a 3" tube in the hole

weld a plate (with hole) to the tube

attach your throttlebody of choice...

you can pic up 90mm throttles for about 200 dollars that would be pimp. the only mods you have to do are splice the wiring for the tps :twisted:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

lanos2001 wrote: i don't wanna do the 2.0l one just b/c you have to, from what i hear, drill out the hole for some reason b/c the bolts are diff width.

nick
you are right, the holes on the 2.0 TB are smaller to you have to make them bigger to be able to fit the 12'' screws you got... you only have to do that on two holes though 'cause you only have just two 12mm screws..

frankly i see that as a very easy job to do better than boring the current TB as you will never make your current TB as big as the 2.0 one.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

sounds great and all but i need my car to drive. plus i need lets see.... every tool and know how to weld good enough to do all that. :lol: i would do it if i had a second intake but i doubt i can find one for cheap.

i was actually thinking about getting a stock tubing from like a lancer or a truck to get the flat part of the tubing to put behind the scoop for the ram air effect. not sure on how good that would be but it would be better. but i really made the scoop for top mount IC.

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

if i ever get the intake from agent smith... i'll make another and you can trade me plus like 20 bucks (since you helped me with the lugs and food)
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

you are right, the holes on the 2.0 TB are smaller to you have to make them bigger to be able to fit the 12'' screws you got... you only have to do that on two holes though 'cause you only have just two 12mm screws..

frankly i see that as a very easy job to do better than boring the current TB as you will never make your current TB as big as the 2.0 one.

MMamdouh

i was thinking you had to drill the intake mani. okay i had it the other way around then. that is an option then. thanks man.

if i ever get the intake from agent smith... i'll make another and you can trade me plus like 20 bucks (since you helped me with the lugs and food)

so in other words i'm fucked. :lol: yeah taht would be cool though. did you get the lugs yet. its after 11 over there any mail?

nick

Audacity Racing
moron

no idea... i've back here at work in the garage so i can't get to the mail right now :lol:

sorry to hijack
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

hell i highjacked my own thread. :lol: well dude this ones been answered for now.

nick

karim
Junior

Post by karim »

many companies like SPOON will only bore the front not the back, so they will have more pressure going to the intake manifold.
lanos2001 wrote:okay cool guys. thanks. i figured you had to just bore before and after the butterfly. just wanted to make sure before i start to do that. i don't wanna do the 2.0l one just b/c you have to, from what i hear, drill out the hole for some reason b/c the bolts are diff width.

nick
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

people with Hondas kept tellin that an MSD ingnition upgrade would have better performance than to upgrade the Throttle Body

u should only upgrade the TB and header up if u do some kind of Heavy Valve Job that would open up and blend the ports to over 105% over stock