Massive Power from Turbo 2.0L Daewoo Engine

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Massive Power from Turbo 2.0L Daewoo Engine

Post by PrecisionBoost »

As some of you know I spend time on the forum (discussion) on http://lt3.reallyrules.com/

This site is dedicated to the C20GET ( 2.0L 8V turbo ) but a guy by the name of pontiacjeff dropped in a Daewoo 2.0L into his Sunbird and threw on a turbo.

The Daewoo 2.0L at 15psi made 320 horspower.

In comparison he ran 17psi on a stock C20NE bottom end with no problems, but it was only making about 260hp.

The C20NE is the naturally aspirated 8V engine you would find in a Pontiac LeMans.

He made some real serious power numbers that would put the C20GET to shame.

Here is his site....

http://www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap1.html

The horsepower and torque diagram is here....

http://www.geocities.com/pontiacjeff/DOHCswap4.html
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

hmmm... and there was a nubira for sale here the other month for 1k... damn
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

HOLY SHITE!
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

man you make me cry of happines lol. Hmmmm So now we are 100% sure of the turbo projec.
Last edited by mocpac on Tue May 04, 2004 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

hmm..there is only one thing that baffles me. The Getrag F20 power loss is normally in the range of 40 hp, compared to 25-30 hp loss in the F16. I just cant imagine 94hp loss over the hearbox in the Sunbird - that would mean that completely stock Sunbird turbo would make only 69 hp at the wheels :!:

Since the dyno shows 236 whp, the crank power is more like 276 hp, and nothing near 320 hp claimed.

Post by 2 liter turbo »

Jeff actually has a Grand Am sedan with a 125C automatic. I'm sure he'll wander in here to chat about it at some point.

Tony
'87 Sunbird GT turbo convertible
13.61 @ 101.44 MPH in 1/4 mile
262 whp 350 lbs ft wtq
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

He posted 239whp/249wtq on the LT3 Site but the diagram says 236.4whp.

Using a correction factor of about 20% drivetrain loss for a manual and 25% for an auto gives the following.....

236.4Whp (manual) = 295.5 Crank HP
239 Whp (manual) = 299 Crank HP

236.4 Whp (automatic) = 315.2 Crank HP
239 Whp (automatic) = 319 Crank Hp

I've allways thought 80% efficency for manual and 75% for Auto were the correct conversion factors...or atleast that's what I've heard.

Either way the power is pretty decent...which would be expected out of the higher compression pistons and 16V drivetrain.

I have to wonder how well that engine will stand up to detonation with the higher compression ratio.... he said it's running really rich right now so I would imagine that would keep the engine happy.

I personally think he would be better off throwing in a set of C20LET pistons....but I guess we will see how he makes out with the stock CR.
2 liter turbo

Post by 2 liter turbo »

If I remember correctly Car Craft did a test a couple of months ago and they found that the loss through a transmission/driveline varied way more than they thought possible. Like I said, I'm going from memory here but I could have sworn their tests showed from 15 hp to 90 hp depending on the combination. Does anyone remember reading that article?
Regardless, I thought most of your newer transmissions were pretty efficient so I doubt the 125 is a huge power robber.
I guess the only true test will be to take it to the track and calculate how much HP it makes from the ET, weight and speed.
As far as how it holds up only time will tell!

Tony
'87 Sunbird GT turbo convertible
13.61 @ 101.44 MPH in 1/4 mile
262 whp 350 lbs ft wtq
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Erfinder wrote:He posted 239whp/249wtq on the LT3 Site but the diagram says 236.4whp.

Using a correction factor of about 20% drivetrain loss for a manual and 25% for an auto gives the following.....

I've allways thought 80% efficency for manual and 75% for Auto were the correct conversion factors...or atleast that's what I've heard.
Actually it's near 20% and 22% respectably. Car & Driver did an article on it a few years ago.

scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Why can't everyone else do this?!?!? :shock:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

scourge wrote:Why can't everyone else do this?!?!? :shock:
Do what?

If your talking about the turbo, many of us are allready in the middle of engine modifications.

Basicly the T20SED, C20LET, C20NE, C20GET, C20XE are all related so I'm sure many of us will be in this same ballpark horsepower level by this time next year (or atleast we hope to)

I had hoped to have my engine ready by may but my local performance machine shop is really backlogged so it might take longer than I thought.

I'm contemplating replacing the rings, deglazing the cylinders and putting everything back together with new bolts/gaskets ect.

This way I can fool with the car over the summer and pull it out next winter and do some real serious modifications.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

daewooluvr wrote: Actually it's near 20% and 22% respectably. Car & Driver did an article on it a few years ago.
I allways use 20% for manuals but I'm not familiar with automatics.

Perhaps the 25% was for older automatics.... the new ones have improved greatly with the use of computer modeling.
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

GsiTurbo wrote:hmm..there is only one thing that baffles me. The Getrag F20 power loss is normally in the range of 40 hp, compared to 25-30 hp loss in the F16. I just cant imagine 94hp loss over the hearbox in the Sunbird - that would mean that completely stock Sunbird turbo would make only 69 hp at the wheels :!:

Since the dyno shows 236 whp, the crank power is more like 276 hp, and nothing near 320 hp claimed.
Transmission power loss true does take its toll, but isnt the Daewoo 2.0 a sixteen valve unit versus the over head cam eight of the sunbirds two liter? that alone would explain the HUGE difference in power, due to the significant increase in air flow.. or am i totally off base here?

Bernard
SuperDuperDaewoo
Junior

Post by SuperDuperDaewoo »

I here all of this talk about horsepower, but the question is...what will it do in the 1/4? Has to be mid 12's if not high 11's, right?
If you don't have a Woo, You don't have a clue!
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

SuperDuperDaewoo wrote:I here all of this talk about horsepower, but the question is...what will it do in the 1/4? Has to be mid 12's if not high 11's, right?
I highly doubt that. According to Autos.msn.com his car weighs over 2826 w/o driver.

Even when using the highly optimistic 1/4 calculators it still puts him somewhere around a 14.45 in the 1/4 mile.