Fuel Pump Replacement / Walbro?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

sethjl

Fuel Pump Replacement / Walbro?

Post by sethjl »

So the dealer says I've got a bad fuel pump. He wants $600. Yeah Right.

Does anyone have any tips/instructions for installing a Walbro/Stock Pump in a 2001 Lanos? I've got a bad fuel pump and would rather save $100 and buy a Walbro than the OEM and have it fail after 65k miles again. I've heard the fuel pump is accessible by removing the back seat? Any help would be appreciated.

Someone had posted this in another discussion: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/pr ... ts_id=1338

Would this be the proper thing to get?

Thanks,

Seth
-Just a guy with a 2001 Lanos he's trying to keep running.
sethjl

ALSO

Post by sethjl »

Does anyone know if the Inlet and Outlet on the Lanos stock Fuel Pump are Inline or Offset?

-Thanks
sethjl

fuel filter

Post by sethjl »

Also, I'm assuming I should replace my fuel filter while i'm at it?

Sorry for all the multiple posts, I'm just anxious. ;)
MMamdouh

Re: fuel filter

Post by MMamdouh »

sethjl wrote:Also, I'm assuming I should replace my fuel filter while i'm at it?

that would be a good idea.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
sethjl

Re: fuel filter

Post by sethjl »

mmamdouh wrote:
sethjl wrote:Also, I'm assuming I should replace my fuel filter while i'm at it?

that would be a good idea.

MMamdouh
So I got to the fuel filter connections underneath the backseat, but I can't get the larger of the two electrical-plug type connectors off. Its big and brown. Is there some sort of trick? I don't see any kind of "tab" to press to get it to pull off....help?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe the tab is in the back side of the socket or maybe the socket is a bit stuck (it is the first time to remove it... right?) so try a bit more.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
sethjl

Fuel Pump

Post by sethjl »

mmamdouh wrote:maybe the tab is in the back side of the socket or maybe the socket is a bit stuck (it is the first time to remove it... right?) so try a bit more.

MMamdouh
Yeah, there's a little red tab that pops out, then you pull the socket off.

Man, I should take pictures and post a step-by-step once i'm done with this bastard. Still trying to decide if I want to try the universal application with the Walbro or go with an OEM. I found an OEM for $179.99, free shipping...so it's tempting.
joseanevo

Post by joseanevo »

what kind of Walbro, since those are more of performance oriented than OEM and also you can try some other pump if that is what you want and if i remeber well it is center center and when you take it out be carefull not to harn the fuel level assy
woo_sleeper

Post by woo_sleeper »

ive ran in to the same prob w my pump the car has been acting weird on me and dies and shit, i took out the fuel pump assem, and the pump came out to be a walbro pump, wats the psi rating on the stock pump cz im lookin to get a bosch pump instead ??
sethjl

research

Post by sethjl »

woo_sleeper wrote:ive ran in to the same prob w my pump the car has been acting weird on me and dies and shit, i took out the fuel pump assem, and the pump came out to be a walbro pump, wats the psi rating on the stock pump cz im lookin to get a bosch pump instead ??
Well, I did some research. Walbro DOES make some OEM stuff, but your luck of actually FINDING that specific Walbro OEM pump is hard. I've already done the looking.

You're better off just buying the whole assembly, that way you don't have to risk damaging the fuel level deal, plus you get a new filter when you buy the assembly together.
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

woo_sleeper wrote:ive ran in to the same prob w my pump the car has been acting weird on me and dies and shit, i took out the fuel pump assem, and the pump came out to be a walbro pump, wats the psi rating on the stock pump cz im lookin to get a bosch pump instead ??

walbro is the stock pumb for lanos???????
sethjl

not exactly

Post by sethjl »

nefary wrote:

walbro is the stock pumb for lanos???????
Not exactly. On some models, the pump inside the fuel pump assembly is an OEM pump that Walbro manufactures. So no, it's not a HP Walbro Fuel pump, but Walbro DOES make OEM stuff for car manufacturers.

The problem is, rebuilding the fuel pump is difficult, as it's hard to come by parts/gaskets/etc for it. In the end, as I've found, you're better off replacing it with an OEM, unless you really want to get down and dirty with your fuel pump system.