Exhaust from the manifold back

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mocpac

Post by mocpac »

You need just a hi flow cat and will have no problem w\ performance. I don't know if in AU is legal but here in Puerto Rico you can't remove the cat. :evil:
ImageImage
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

mocpac_ser wrote:You need just a hi flow cat and will have no problem w\ performance. I don't know if in AU is legal but here in Puerto Rico you can't remove the cat. :evil:
We also canot remove the cat, but who cares :wink: I have thrown out my cat a long time ago.

Right now I now that I will make 2" pipes and only one prolem is schould i put in rezonator + one high flow muffler or just the high flow muffler.

I am also wandering if a straight through exhaust with only one muffler will not couse less power than two mufflers :?
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

im using a 2" with an RSracing muffler i do have TWO yes you read it right two 2" resonators... i had the 2" straight with the muffler it was loud... i mean VERY loud...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

maniac16v wrote:im using a 2" with an RSracing muffler i do have TWO yes you read it right two 2" resonators... i had the 2" straight with the muffler it was loud... i mean VERY loud...
And that's what I have wanted :) thanx
Image Image
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

where can i buy a resonator?
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

Daew0Leganza wrote:where can i buy a resonator?
You have one in your car :wink: and you can buy it it every exhaust shop
Image Image
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

I feel lucky :D my friend is selling his car today and yesterday he was pulling everythng that he could out of the car. He sold me he's 4-2-1 header for 100$ :) so all I have to do is do the rest of the exhaust and I'm finished with exhaust :)

I was also talking to a friend yesterday (he's a mechanic) and he told me that 2" pipes can be to big... :?
Image Image
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

thats true, if your running a straight-through system.. but with the proper mufflers and a cat you should have the right amount of back pressure so you wont loose any torque! :wink:

my brother has an A2 Jetta Gli its a 1.8 and he installed a 2.25" exhaust on it.. man that thing flew! not to mention the increase in top end from the stock 1 7/8" to the 2.25".. 2" for our 1.6 is good. you wouldnt want to go less. .

think efficiency, not quantity 8)

Bernard
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

This is my new Header :D
Image Image
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Nice man is a 4-2-1 header. How much?

And what about a little cleaning in that engine space? :twisted:
ImageImage
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

and the 'Lech' beer (one of my favourites) is a great way to provide some alcohol-injection lol. By the way, are you planning to put some sort of ceramic coating on the header? Looks good otherwise!!!

Post by Maximus »

mocpac_ser wrote:Nice man is a 4-2-1 header. How much?

And what about a little cleaning in that engine space? :twisted:
Thx :) bought it for only 100 $ from my friend who was selling his woo. Now I'm thinking of wraping the header with thermo isolation what do you think ?

As to cleaning... My engine is always very clean but now in winter when roads are always wet and full of salt one cannot keep his engine clean for a long time :(
Image Image
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

GsiTurbo wrote:and the 'Lech' beer (one of my favourites) is a great way to provide some alcohol-injection lol. By the way, are you planning to put some sort of ceramic coating on the header? Looks good otherwise!!!
Yeah Lech is my favorite as well :D the photos were taken in the new years eve :wink:

As to the coating you mean the thermic isolation tape right ?
Image Image
damian007vk
Super

I have 4-2-1 headers

Post by damian007vk »

hi, i have 4-2-1 ceramic coated headers, and a mandrel bent exhaust all the way to the muffler with a high flow cat and a magnaflow muffler and resonator....my question is this...the size of the pipe is 2.25 inches...is this too big? a mechanic i met the other day said it was too big, and that i had to change it to 2 inches...i really dont want to (though he is considered a master mechanic and will be workingon the performance of my car) Would wrapping the entire exhaust in header wrap help solve some of the problem?? Also, I am currently spraying a 55 shot of nos through a dry zex nitrous kit....i read that his messes up the cat.....should I remove the catalytic converter then and just replace it with another straight through resonator??? thanks...
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok.....here is a tiny little bit of math :cry:

Flow rate (2.25") X area of pipe diameter(2.25")= Flow rate (2") X area of pipe diameter (2")

(FR 2.25") X ( 3.976 sq inch) = (FR 2") X ( 3.1415 sq inch)

So ( FR 2" ) = (FR 2.25") x ( 3.976 / 3.1415)

Flow Rate 2" = 1.2656 X Flow Rate 2.25"

So by decreasing the diameter from 2.25" to 2" you decrease the cross sectional area of the exhaust by 21%.

But the flow rate increased and the 2" now flows 21% faster to make things equal out.

Given the exhaust gas density is primarily based upon the temperature of the exhaust gas you can bet that by getting it out of the pipes 21% faster ensures that it cools down less.

Cooler exhaust = More Restriction than Hot exhaust

So your mechanic just wants to make sure that the exhaust gases stay hot all the way out to the end of your muffler.

The best alternative is to insulate the larger pipe so you get rid of this "cooling" down of the exhaust and you have a 21% larger exhaust which equates to less restriction.

Sorry for the technical junk........ just remember that 2.25" insulated will be better than the 2" non-insulated.

I don't know if 2" insulated would beat 2.25" insulated......these kind of flow dynamics are best left to be modeled on supercomputers.

For us mere humans simply trying different sizes and using the one that makes the most horsepower is the best.