Fuel Leak!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

nexia16v

Fuel Leak!

Post by nexia16v »

Yesterday I filled my car up, full tank (and i mean full!) today i jumped in my car to leave work, reversed round and there was petrol leaking from the back end! I got home quickly and safely, checked where i saw it leaking earlier and it was bone dry, no evidence of a leak. It seemed to only leak a very short while when i reversed round to leave work, after that nothing.
What does this mean? could it be the over fill pipe?
I had noticed since i filled up my car it had been smelling of petrol inside and out of the car.
I need some help, i'm not sure if it was just the over fill pipe or if I have a petrol leak somewhere.
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

I think that thisleak should leave a wet place. you know that petrol is volatile so this pont dried . this leak may be a result of a pressure on a broken area . this area are not critical & the fuel reches it rarly so try to but the var in the same conditions which you smile the fuel and see what you will have
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

seems you are leaking from a high spot facing backwards and the fuel hit that area while you were braking after going backwards.

check the fill pipe, fuel cap and if their is an overflow pipe or so... fuel will evaporate but will leave some kinda stain where it leaked so you have to be carfule.

needless to say don't use any kind of flame for illumination or so during the process... you might burn your fingures :lol:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
nexia16v

Post by nexia16v »

ok thanx guys, i'm going to try and jack it up later and have a look, in the mean time i'm not going to fill up full again.

Out of interest if there was a crack in the tank how easy is it 2 replace?!
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

not easy not hard just folow the service manual instructions . it will be usefull and easy to perform
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

In my Lemans I had a leak around the fuel pump, underneath the rear seat. You may want to check that area too, as it only happened when I REALLY fill the tank full. A bead of fresh silicone on both sides of exisitng seal fixed the problem.

Tom

Post by nexia16v »

thanx man, haven't sorted it out yet so I shall check there soon. i'll keep you posted