Modifying stock engines...

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mark K

Modifying stock engines...

Post by Mark K »

Hey guys,

Ive been reading the forum a bit lately and im noticing alot of talk about what you guys have been doing to your cars and i was just wondering how many of you are doing these mods on stock Daewoo engines?

I always had the impression that daewoo engines werent exactly the kind you would mod up (people actually used to laugh when i told them my plans for modding my cielo)...

Mark
I.O.U
1 x signature
AcingTeam
Expert

Re: Modifying stock engines...

Post by AcingTeam »

Mark K wrote:Hey guys,

Ive been reading the forum a bit lately and im noticing alot of talk about what you guys have been doing to your cars and i was just wondering how many of you are doing these mods on stock Daewoo engines?

I always had the impression that daewoo engines werent exactly the kind you would mod up (people actually used to laugh when i told them my plans for modding my cielo)...

Mark
What kind of mods are you talking about? If it's basic intake/exhaust/ud pulley then you don't have to worry if the engine is stock or not. Once you have them on, then the engine isn't cosidered stock anymore. Are you talking about internals and turbo upgrades?
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

AcingTeam wrote:
Mark K wrote:Hey guys,

Mark
What kind of mods are you talking about? If it's basic intake/exhaust/ud pulley then you don't have to worry if the engine is stock or not. Once you have them on, then the engine isn't cosidered stock anymore. Are you talking about internals and turbo upgrades?
Basically any kind of performance mod...

Alot of people have told me not to even bother modding my cielo :(
But i still am :)
Modified daewoos are pretty rare around my area so i think it'd be kinda cool to mod mine up a bit :)

I planning on installing extractors, exhaust, a tach and lower springs (and eventually new rims) on my cielo... Ive just always been a bit iffy about it coz alot of people have told me its not worth the time or the money.
But since ive found this forum, i couldnt care less what they say anymore :twisted:
I.O.U
1 x signature
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

don't listen to those guys... by all means mod your car and make it look and handle better.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Not modding an engine simply because it is a Daewoo. Stupid? Lets consider the facts.

Example 1: Daewoo engines are crap.

WRONG! These are German engines with excellent transmissions. I can tell you this personally because my car has 193,000 miles (308000 km) on the original engine/transmission and I can still get to the speed limiter (Past 110 mph for me) without breaking a sweat. The most intense thing I have done is change the starter. Also, it is a modified engine.

Example 2: Daewoo Engines are Weak.

WRONG! Compare a '99 Lanos with a Civic of the same year. Lanos has 105 HP and 106 TQ while the Civic DX has something like 106 HP and 103 TQ. And the Lanos gets the numbers lower in the RPM band. I have a newer 1.7L Civic with 115 HP and the Lanos would absolutely wreck it in a 1/4 mile race. And people consider Honda Civics good mod cars.

Example 3: Daewoo Suspensions Suck.

WRONG! I believe that our suspension was influenced or designed by Porsche (read in brochure) and this car rides like it is on rails. It would destory a few more expensive cars on an AutoX track.

Overall, my Daewoo is probabally one of the best cars I have ever owned. I push it to its limits and it doesn't complain. It looks good as it was designed by Pininfarina. And it came loaded with CD, Sunroof, Power Locks/Windows, AT Transmission. For several grand less than comparable Civics, Mitsubishis, or Mazdas.

Don't let anyone give you crap about your car. If you like it and are pleased with what it can do just let them laugh. Trust me, I've been doing it for years.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I agree with you guys... I hate it when people say "all that to a daewoo?". who cares what kind of car it is, it is a car and people do modify cars. And it's not just any car, it's unique!!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Mark K wrote: I always had the impression that daewoo engines werent exactly the kind you would mod up (people actually used to laugh when i told them my plans for modding my cielo)...
These are HOLDEN engines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Made in the Port Melbourn engine plant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of Australia's largest export items !!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know which engine you have in your Cielo but I can guarantee you will also find it in a Holden/Opel/Vauxhall product.

If you want a 2.0L turbo swap.... pull the engine out of a Holden Calibra turbo... it's a direct bolt in if you have a 1.5L,1.6L or 2.0L in your Cielo.

Boost that beast up and make 300WHP and laugh at everyone else as you leave tiremarks through the first four gears.

A Daewoo Lanos is built on a mid nineties Holden Astra platform.... everything is identical.... tranny, engine, suspension, brakes

Your Cielo is a Holden in disguise...... think of it as a Holden assembled in Korea to make it cheaper to produce.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

Wow i didnt expect so many good replies in such a short time! hehe

You all seem to know your stuff pretty good :)
Thanks heaps for all of your input and encouragement.
Ill be sure to keep everyone up to date with how the car is progressing :wink:

Just so everyone knows, its a 1997 Cielo GL hatch.
Stock as a rock (with the exception of an air filter i installed a couple of weeks ago)
Thanks again

Mark
I.O.U
1 x signature
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

Mark K wrote:Wow i didnt expect so many good replies in such a short time! hehe

You all seem to know your stuff pretty good :)
Thanks heaps for all of your input and encouragement.
Ill be sure to keep everyone up to date with how the car is progressing :wink:

Just so everyone knows, its a 1997 Cielo GL hatch.
Stock as a rock (with the exception of an air filter i installed a couple of weeks ago)
Thanks again

Mark
im in australia and i roll in a done up daewoo... As soon as i get my leganza debadged no one will know what the hell it is
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BosnianLanos wrote: It looks good as it was designed by Pininfarina.
that was Giorgetto Giugiaro.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

mmamdouh wrote:
BosnianLanos wrote: It looks good as it was designed by Pininfarina.
that was Giorgetto Giugiaro.

MMamdouh
Italdesigns
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
SoulReaver

Post by SoulReaver »

everyone gives me shit about my daewoo cielo. But i like it... its lightweight, handles well, has a bit of power when i put my foot down but its still economical, it looks good (even better with rims :D) and sounds great (thanks to a $1K exhaust, it sounds like a wrx)

I plan to spend maybe another $8-10K on it, because i reckon its worth it. These cars are also great for stereos... stereo gear sounds so good in them.
Mark K

Post by Mark K »

SoulReaver wrote:everyone gives me shit about my daewoo cielo. But i like it... its lightweight, handles well, has a bit of power when i put my foot down but its still economical, it looks good (even better with rims :D) and sounds great (thanks to a $1K exhaust, it sounds like a wrx)

I plan to spend maybe another $8-10K on it, because i reckon its worth it. These cars are also great for stereos... stereo gear sounds so good in them.
Nice one, was this the stock engine you modified?
What have you done to it?

Dont spose you have pics? :)
I.O.U
1 x signature