Adjusting 1.6L intake

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Brian5475E
Expert

Adjusting 1.6L intake

Post by Brian5475E »

I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the rpm that the intake manifold opens up the other chamber. I was wanting to fool with it on a dyno to see if I can pull some more power down low. Is it controlled electronicly
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i thought the etec swith was a vacuum operated thing...
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

VGIS (Variable Geometric Intake System) I believe is vaccuum operated, as there is no kind of solenoid attached to the butterflys to get them to move.

The entire VGIS system is optimized from the factory so messing with it would be tempting fate. People have tried zip-tieing the butterflys in certain positions and they claimed "50% performance increase" but actual dyno testing has proven that only a drop in HP is noticeable.

Daewoos are some of the only "cheap" cars that come with VGIS and they are, again, optimized by Daewoo for the most low end torque and HP, I say don't mess with it, it can only bring trouble.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the issue was raised before on other forums and the answer is always the same: NOT A GOOD IDEA.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
evilaveo

Post by evilaveo »

Yeah I already messed with this. The vaccum reg is on the left of the intake amn, looks liek a fuel pressure reg, but it has a rod connected to it. Just look at the right side of the intake at the brass this and rev the motor from the throttle body to 4500 rpm and youll see it move. If you tie this rod up you'll gain bout 2-3 hp low end , then lose dramatically at top end- 10-20 hp. If you disconnect the hose, you lose 2-3 hp low end and gain max 4hp at top, once it hits 4500 it feels like a turbo/boost/ but it is actually the cam profile. Not worth a damn.
I eat salad with my hands
tango

Post by tango »

evilaveo wrote:Yeah I already messed with this. The vaccum reg is on the left of the intake amn, looks liek a fuel pressure reg, but it has a rod connected to it. Just look at the right side of the intake at the brass this and rev the motor from the throttle body to 4500 rpm and youll see it move. If you tie this rod up you'll gain bout 2-3 hp low end , then lose dramatically at top end- 10-20 hp. If you disconnect the hose, you lose 2-3 hp low end and gain max 4hp at top, once it hits 4500 it feels like a turbo/boost/ but it is actually the cam profile. Not worth a damn.
Toyota tried and ditched a similar system on its 4AGE years ago. It's good in theory but those buterflies only pose an overall restriction I say. When it comes to cars, there's no such thing as "no compromises". There has to be a tradeoff of some sort.
Cogito ergo sum...