cat removal

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

cat removal

Post by Audacity Racing »

so now that my woo is going full race, i was wondering if anyone has removed the cats and tried the o2 simulators or fouler kits. i was reading on some honda and evo sites that it's a 4 dollar fix to take out the cel. has anyone tried this with a woo?

i'm saving up for the aem universal ecu kit, but until then, i need the stock ecu to run the car for me. i was gonna run mega-squirt, but the aem is a WAY more powerful option.

check this out... http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread ... hlight=ses
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

I've done it in my lancer as i put the RRM downpipe in about 600 miles ago... no cel yet.

Not sayign taht it won't throw every now and again.. but it won't be constantly on.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
Audacity Racing
moron

would it work to do that on both o2's?
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

you need the 1st O2 sensor close to the engine, that measures how your fuel is burning. Too far away from the engine could cause problems
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Audacity Racing
moron

i'm stupid... as per the norm... the 1st sensor is before the cat, so it doesn't matter... i'm good
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

some people said that you have to fool with the signal of the second O2 sensor to avoid the CEL... you see if both O2 sensor give the same reading to the ECU then the ECU will think you have a faulty CAT and throw a CEL.

the second sensor should have a risistor or so in its circuit to fool the signal and make it read less O2 than the first so that you don't have the CEL... i am not sure of the specs of the risdistance you need so you better get that from a more experianced person with this stuff.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

ididn't need a resister or anything and mine is running fine.

I don't know if the daewoo would see a different set up.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I saw somewhere if you use a deeper o2 bung for the rear one it will hold the O2 sensor out of the exhaust gases. So it will read less and no CEL
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Audacity Racing
moron

Brian5475E wrote:I saw somewhere if you use a deeper o2 bung for the rear one it will hold the O2 sensor out of the exhaust gases. So it will read less and no CEL

that's what that other forum link i posted was about
www.forenzamotorsports.co

Post by www.forenzamotorsports.co »

I understand going free flow but some back pressure is crucial in the 0-30 MPH range. I have seen especially with base Hondas, people increase 0-60 time due to the reduction in torque being a greater loss than the top end horse power gained "super free flowing" that MAY not actually come till almost 60-85 MPH. I may plan on losing the resonator and maybe doing a header or at least gasket & port match my stock manifold but going no cat may cost some torque which equals acceleration.

Scott
I LOVED :) THE CAR THAT YOU LOVE..FORENZA!
Audacity Racing
moron

i'm going turbo... twins at that... it's gonna be straight pipes except for the turbos, with an anti-lag (shoot some fire!)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i already removed my CAT and one fellow Woo owner drove my car and told me i lack acceleration at low RPM but it is great at high RPM... could this be due to lack of back pressure? i mean the low acc. at low RPM part?

MMamdouh
www.forenzamotorsports.co

Post by www.forenzamotorsports.co »

Yes it is possible. Under NA situations removing all back pressure will decrease torque and bottom end response. It may pep up, and 4500 rpm plus may seem quicker on the top end but you can counter act it by losses in the low end....bogging down etc. That is why dyno charts do not always reflect actual 0-60 info. You can do a mod and add HP some where in the band...loose some elsewhere and the true net effect could be half of what you think.

Your cat, in a very free flowing set up is restrictive but in some cases is all that is left with restriction to create back pressure. So you could see a HP increase at high RPM with no cat but a loss in HP and torque in the low range which is where we cruise around going to school, work etc..most of the time.

Scott
I LOVED :) THE CAR THAT YOU LOVE..FORENZA!
Audacity Racing
moron

hey mmamdouh, where did you get that pipe to replace your cat, and roughly how much did it cost you? it looks good...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i got it from a local shop downtown and it costs 40 LE (6.90 USD).

MMamdouh