Problem with CAI

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't think it will hurt MPG... i think it will improve it.

you got rid of the extra heat and got more space for oxygen loaded air to go into the intake... sounds like it is ready to burn more fuel and accordingly will give more performance... right?? it is right indeed and you are already decreasing your MPG but you got more performance for that.

if you kept your current speed and performance level just like the way it was before the breather removal then you will spare some fuel as now the car is able to do the same work with less fuel after removing the performance ruining element.

i hope i was clear.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

The colder your intake temp is, the richer your car will run and the more power you will make, this is basic knowledge, been around for years. This is the basic idea behind all those resistor chips and the Choco Chip from Daewootech.net. Now, since the breather hose valve is right above the IAT sensor on the intake. All the hot gas from the engine blows on the IAT making it hotter and in turn making your engine leaner since the ECU is designed to run that way. Leaner engine means less fuel injected into the engine, hotter air means less performance. If you take off the breather, the AIT will not be as hot so the engine will pump more fuel in essentially the same outside ambient air temps. More fuel pumped under the same driving circumstances means lower MPG. I'm not saying that it will be a drastic drop, but you should be able to notice it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you are quite right but you made "performace" as a variable so you will get more performance and less MPG.

now try to imagin you want to do the very same effort (performance) with and without the breather... indeed without the breather you will be able to do the same work much easly (with burning less fuel) and so you get higher MPG without the breather provided that the performace level is the same.

in other words: with the breather you are not fully utilizing your engine so you need to push the engine harder (and using more fuel) to do a certain amout of work... now if the utilization of the engine increases (removing breather) then you can afford to do the same work without pushing the engine that hard.

it is Just like a CAI... i suppose it decreases your MPG as long as you can feel more power, this is normal as you are now utilizing the engine more effecently but if you drive your car the same way without pushing it hard then you will get more MPG as the engine is breathing much better and it is not doing that much hard work.

again i hope that was clear.

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

I would leave the breather hose connected to the intake, and let it perform it's intended function. Realistically, you're not going to gain 20hp from not having it connected, plus the fumes won't kill you, and your engine bay it not all greasy. The performance gains would be next extremely minor, if any.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you are right, the only real gains you would get out of that is a cleaner intake and IAC... it will make cleaning intervals much more separated and will reduce rough idling possibilies.

for performance :roll: i don't think you would gain that much to justfy the effort... kinda like bypassing the TB heatr job.

MMamdouh
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

ChiPPy wrote:I would leave the breather hose connected to the intake, and let it perform it's intended function. Realistically, you're not going to gain 20hp from not having it connected, plus the fumes won't kill you, and your engine bay it not all greasy. The performance gains would be next extremely minor, if any.
ture to an extent. the fuems contain airlized oil and oil in the combustion chamber increases the chances of detonation. your egr trys to prevent detonation by rerouting exhaust to the intake(process of reducing operating temp. in the combustion chamber and emmittions also). if you are some one that has blocked off his/her egr(and dont have a catch can), you will be more likely to experience detonation with a low or 91 grade pump gas in the middle of summer(reduced performance due to ecu retarding timming). thats why some engine bay have the oil catch can(to filter the oil out of the blow-by gas).
got drift?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

debo890 wrote:
ChiPPy wrote:I would leave the breather hose connected to the intake, and let it perform it's intended function. Realistically, you're not going to gain 20hp from not having it connected, plus the fumes won't kill you, and your engine bay it not all greasy. The performance gains would be next extremely minor, if any.
ture to an extent. the fuems contain airlized oil and oil in the combustion chamber increases the chances of detonation. your egr trys to prevent detonation by rerouting exhaust to the intake(process of reducing operating temp. in the combustion chamber and emmittions also). if you are some one that has blocked off his/her egr(and dont have a catch can), you will be more likely to experience detonation with a low or 91 grade pump gas in the middle of summer(reduced performance due to ecu retarding timming). thats why some engine bay have the oil catch can(to filter the oil out of the blow-by gas).
Wait so having the breather hose on could increase chances of detonation?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

kinkyllama wrote:
debo890 wrote:
Wait so having the breather hose on could increase chances of detonation?
with oil vapour going in the engine? yes. withput oil vapour? no
got drift?
www.forenzamotorsports.co

Post by www.forenzamotorsports.co »

I use a aftermarket filter of the breather hose. I am not blocking the hose, I am not letting the hot air blow near the AIT sensor and I am not or have not smelled any fumes. I do not think there is much too gain or lose either way so to each their own.

Scott
I LOVED :) THE CAR THAT YOU LOVE..FORENZA!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

give it time and the filter will mess up your engine bay with oil.

MMamdouh