Problem with CAI

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Aguadilla_Lanos

Problem with CAI

Post by Aguadilla_Lanos »

I have a 99 Daewoo Lanos 1.5
I had a custom CAI installed a few days ago at a muffler chop. I had the air sensor adapted onto the new metal pipe but i left the breather hose that went into the old intake hose uninstalled.
The reason i left it uninstalled was because i was told by the mechanic that if i had the breather hose installed onto the new intake it would ad hot air into the pipe.
I am thiking about having the breather hose installed because, since i had the intake ive been smelling fumes especially when the AC is on, smells like burned oil.
Is leaving this breather hose uninstalled bad for my car? Ive seen other Lanos with this hose uninstalled on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/810759/2
There is a little filter on the end of the hose.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

if you didn't put a filter on the breather hose then you'll have a lot of oil fumes. you should be noticing more dirt in your engine bay. but you at least wanna put the breather filter on it so its not as bad.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Running with no breather hose will not hurt your car. The only way it will hurt your car is if you plug it up and all the pressure from the engine has to find a new way out, usually through a dipstick or an oil seal. However, if it is not attached, all the air circulated through the engine will be coming out of it and it will smell something like burned oil/exhaust gas. If you have your AC on in "Fresh Air" mode, your AC will suck in air from the outside and will likely include the polluted air from the breather hose. It is not good to breath these fumes as oil is carcerogenic and if you have asthma or a breathing condition it can irritate it. What I did to solve this, I took about a 1.5 foot long silicone hose, widened the end to fit the breather valve, used an O clamp to tighten it, and I ran the hose around the back of the engine so that the gas/oil now is released below the car and not harmfully into the intake and more importantly your body. It can make it seem like your car has an oil leak, but it is not harmful, it is better than breathing all those fumes.
Aguadilla_Lanos

Thats a good idea, i will try to find a longer hose that fits.
Thanks.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

dumb question, where is the breather hose located? is it the hose that branches off from the stock intake onto the valve cover?
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yup

nick

delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

I had a problem where my oil cap flew off and blew oil all over the engine and it ate through the hose, and I noticed a Decline in mpg that my car was getting, then I replaced the hose and I noticed an increase back to normal gas consumption.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

it was probably clogged or something. i need to put a filter on mine b/c since i put the new intake on the hose didn't fit over the part connected to the intake so i improvised a bit but i don't think its working at a 100%.

nick

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

delphis wrote:I had a problem where my oil cap flew off and blew oil all over the engine and it ate through the hose, and I noticed a Decline in mpg that my car was getting, then I replaced the hose and I noticed an increase back to normal gas consumption.
I blocked mine because I thought thats were my vacuum leak was, expect mine tried to get through the dipstick, man, if the hood wasn't closed, I'm sure that dipstick would have flown out like 30 Ft.

As for the MPG, I'm sure a breather hose helps. It heats up the air and throws in oil gases that displace air and therefore your car doesn't need a lot of fuel. On the other hand, it can't be good for performance, cause at higher RPM that little valve spews a lot of crud into the intake.
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

ok maybe it's because there was air leaking out of the hose that was deteriorated. I don't think I was getting the maximum amount of air into the intake because it was taking the path of least resistance.
tango

Post by tango »

There is a theory that the fumes that the breather hose lets into the intake will eventually settle on the valve guides, providing additional lubrication for them. Don't know how true that is but the fact that our engines don't use a PC vale is cause for wonder. I ran miine without the hose for a few months and let me tell you, there's nothing like turning on the car and NOT smelling oil fumes. Even those little bullsh!t filters cause oil fumes to permeate the car.
Cogito ergo sum...
Aguadilla_Lanos

I solved my problem today by doing what BosnianLanos did. No more smelly fumes :)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

tango wrote:There is a theory that the fumes that the breather hose lets into the intake will eventually settle on the valve guides, providing additional lubrication for them. Don't know how true that is but the fact that our engines don't use a PC vale is cause for wonder.
my mechanic told me that too but i didn't really buy it... the guides need more than oil fumes to get lubricated... right??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Wait does everyone agree that it doesnt hurt your engine to have the breather hose NOT running into the intake? and it might help performance if its NOT running into the intake? and it wont hurt gas milege if its NOT running into the intake?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

My personal view on the breather hose. It probabally has some purpose or else Daewoo would have not included it. However I don't believe the "valve lubrication" theory as I have run mine without the hose for maybe 80,000 miles now with no problem whatsoever. If it did lubricate the valves, my car would have croaked a long time ago. I believe it can harm performance because of all of the gas/carbon that it shoots into the intake. It is hot and probabally displaces air. Running without it might lower MPG because with the hot gas and less air, the injectors don't need to open up as much to fully burn the oxygen.

So my guess with the breather off:

Doesn't harm car.

Helps performance marginally (if only for easier breathing)

Could possibly hurt MPG.