Custom CAI for Lanos!! *Project Done* (PICS)!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

AcingTeam
Expert

Custom CAI for Lanos!! *Project Done* (PICS)!

Post by AcingTeam »

Well, guys... I always wanted to get a CAI (cold air intake), and as always I went on eBay and started looking at different CAI's for different cars. Finally I've decided to go with a CAI designed for a 94+ Acura Integra GSR:

Once again, my lucky guess turned out to be a perfect fitment for a Lanos!! :shock: :shock: And it was only $38 shipped to my door :shock: :shock: !

As you will see in the pictures, the first pipe fit perfectly but the second one needed some modifications. I cut it where the red line is and used the circled part to complete the CAI and put a filter on the end of it.
Here's the pic:

Here are some finished product pictures:

As you can see everything fit perfectly. I wrapped the aluminum pipe with the tape where the hole is just so it wouldn't get scratched/damaged after years of usage *knocks on wood 3 times*.

Here are some under bumper shots:

Here you can see that it's located almost right under the headlight

This picture was taken behind the wheel well, as you can see the filter ended up to be just above the meshed hole in the bumper.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results. The sound is DEFINATELY more noticable. "PTSSSSSSS" sound after shifting at high rpms is MUCH more hearable. SOOOO loud. I haven't really noticed any difference in power but the car feels more responsive now (probably because it's getting cold air now. Very pleased with the results and just thought that some of you guys might want to know this :D :D

Igor
Last edited by AcingTeam on Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NubiraPower

Post by NubiraPower »

I have the same engine like yours. :D For me it's very hard to buy from ebay because they don't send to Romania. :( It happened to a friend of mine to pay a turbo kit with the mastercard he had and they dindn't send it here.

Now,I want to bag for your help! Could you buy a CAI exactly like yours and send it to me?! I'll pay you. I really want one. Also I want a front strut bar for my car (nubira 1 year 2000, 1.6). I don't want to be rude but I really wanted to ask you.

You fitted very well the CAI. Great job.
Nubira Power
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Damn...now I'm gonna have to steal your idea and do that.

:twisted:

Really nice work!!!
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

BosnianLanos wrote:Damn...now I'm gonna have to steal your idea and do that.

:twisted:

Really nice work!!!
Thanks, that's why I shared with you guys!! Let all Daewoo owners represent!! lol

@NubiraPower: PM sent
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I hate to burst your bubble. I had that setup. The fender will cut into the pipe, no matter what you cover it with. You need a bracket. 2nd that filter will be crap in a month. the wire will rust and the paper filter will swell. Just telling you from experiance. Might want to use a foam filter.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Brian5475E wrote:I hate to burst your bubble. I had that setup. The fender will cut into the pipe, no matter what you cover it with. You need a bracket. 2nd that filter will be crap in a month. the wire will rust and the paper filter will swell. Just telling you from experiance. Might want to use a foam filter.
as for the pipe protection thing... why don't you use the OEM rubber gormet that links the OEM air box to the resonaror? it would look neat and will illiminate any friction between the pipe and the fender parts?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

same thing happened to me with the filter i have a weapon-r foam filter now and i use too ''ptsssss'' sound but right after i got my big bore throttle body i dont hear it anymore
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

what if this PSSSS sound is due to ristriction in the OEM TB while it is closed? that would explain why you don't hear it no more.

or maybe you are getting older and your hearing is not that good now :lol: (j/k)

MMamdouh
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

i used too hear around 4,000 rpm between shifts i can still hear a little noise but it sounds different now like when i step on the gas it makes ''vsssss'' sound :)
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

as i said the sound pattern got ot do with the shape of the TB so when you change it the sound should change.

i got the stock TB on my 1.5 SOHC engine and the only PSSS sound i hear is when i turn off the engine with the rubber tube cinnecting the TB ti the air box is off.

MMamdouh
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

There's no friction where my pipe is, I tried moving it with my hand and it doesn't go anywhere (it's stuck there). Plus having tape wrapped over it makes me think it will last forever.
About the filter, I don't care, they're not that expensive. "Ptssss" sound has to do with the filter. Because I had a ford contour and had tried 2 types of filters, one was making "pssss" high pitched sound, and the other was making "vrrrr" deep rumbling sound. The sound goes away as the filter gets older (more dirtier).
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

for your pipe in the fender. just as a pre-caution buy some of that door rubber deals. just put that on the hole itself then you won't even need the tape so it'll look even cleaner. i put some on the hole i cut for my scoop.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

lanos2001 wrote:for your pipe in the fender. just as a pre-caution buy some of that door rubber deals. just put that on the hole itself then you won't even need the tape so it'll look even cleaner. i put some on the hole i cut for my scoop.

nick
That's a good suggestion, but even without the tape the intake doesn't move within that hole. So with the tape, it's sooo secure that I didn't even had to use any mounting brackets, it doesn't shake and there's no friction. Honestly, I pretty positive that it will not make a whole in that intake. There's no way, it doesn't move at all... I'd be very surprised to see it go through the tape itself, not to mention the aluminum pipe.

IF it somehow does (which is very unlikely), I'd just get a new pipe and make the hole bigger and put a rubber grommet around it ;)
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Okaaaaay... it went through the tape, going to get some rubber to put around the edges :evil: grrrr
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well at least you'e been checking it and caught it before it did some real damage.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.