Ignition Coil - It's fixed

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

dan-d

Ignition Coil - It's fixed

Post by dan-d »

Well my coil came in today, replaced the suspected bad one and all is well. She purr's like a kitten. Thanks everyone

Hi, I'm new to the Woo world and just aquired a 99 Lanos. My problem is it has a CEL. It idles rough intermittently and also accellerates rough. This problem is intermitent. At times it runs very smooth and fires on all 4. It accellerates very smooth up to about 1/4 throttle, any more than that and it begins to stumble pretty bad. I scanned for codes and get a #4 cylinder missfire (no other codes). I replaced the plugs and wires but still have this problem. It doesn't appear to be mechanical since the compression test shows all four cylinders with good and equal compression. Any ideas? Could the coil be intermittent in one cylinder?
Last edited by dan-d on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

could be the coil, spark plugs or spark plug wires.

check the spark plugs if they are dirty or miss gapped, better to replace them.

check the wires by popping the hood at night with the engine on and look for sparks flying from the wires.

check the coil... with the engine running carfully take off the spark plug wire from the coils side but keep it very close to the coil pack so the sparks doesn't jump into your body or on the engine block. you should be able to see the sparks flying from the coil's socket to the wire's terminal so try to find any inconsistant sparks or if they doesn't exist at all.

also check your vacuum lines which could leak too much air and mess your air\fuel mixture.

check fuel filter if it is dirty or blocked get a new one.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
money

Post by money »

The above and maybe some FI cleaner? Maybe it's a dirty injector.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the problems that seem to "come and go" or "not at all times" is related to electrics.

injectors problems can cause that but it won't go away at any times, i have leaky injectors and my car acts the same since 10/2004... nothing has changed and the car never felt any different since the problem occured.

MMamdouh
money

Post by money »

Yea that makes more sense, didn't think about that - although I thought he said it was only past 1/4 throttle? Didn't realize it was completely intermittent.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

when i had spark plug wires problems, it didn't show up till i was on 1/2 throttle or accelerating hard from a complete halt... seems that the extra engine load maked the problem more noticable.

MMamdouh
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Not a really safe test, but it helped me pinpoint my problem. When the car is having issues in idle, sniff the exhaust, if you smell unburned gasoline, it is a misfire issue. Check plugs, wires, and then your ignition coil. It is a similar problem that mine had, but mine was rough all the time, firing on only three cylinders. I checked the exhaust and smelled fuel, changed the coil and no problems since.
dan-d

Post by dan-d »

Just to clarify.

The problem is intermittent. At idle it will sometimes run smooth as silk and other times it idles rough.

Accelleration while driving is good up to about 1/4 throttle, anything more than that it stumbles or falls flat.

Replaced the plugs
Replaced the wires
Compression 174 - 176 in all four cylinders
Replaced the fuel filter
Added injector cleaner

Seems like it mainly affects cylinder #4, that's the only cylinder that throws a misfire code.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yeah i use that all the time... i actually tuned up my carb. on my old VW beetle using this method but you have to have a nose for exhaust so you can know whats lean and whats rich.

i got petrol engines covered and i am working on sniffing diesel exhaust skills now :D

MMamdouh
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

1. Check the resistance on all of your injectors, to make sure that they are also the same.

2. Do a coil check. Loosen all of the plug boots at the coil and with the car running, pull up on every boot individually. If sparks fly out of the coil, move to the next one, if you find one with no spark, you will have found your problem. WEAR THICK GLOVES WHEN TESTING
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

could also be the beginnings of the problematic Cam & Crank positioning sensors.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

yeah, did you have the recall issue addressed about the cam position sensor? that could mess up the ignition royally...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

OHHH i didn't see that he got CEL... go get it scanned at once and save all the speculation.

MMamdouh
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

mmamdouh wrote:OHHH i didn't see that he got CEL... go get it scanned at once and save all the speculation.

MMamdouh
dan-d wrote:I scanned for codes and get a #4 cylinder missfire (no other codes)
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
dan-d

Post by dan-d »

mmamdouh wrote:OHHH i didn't see that he got CEL... go get it scanned at once and save all the speculation.

MMamdouh
I have my own scan tool, the only code I get is P0304 = #4 Cylinder misfire.

But like I said. I've already replaced the plugs and plug wires and the problem is intermittent. I'm going to swap out a coupla injectors next to see if the problem swaps to another cylinder.