Almost Killed My Lanos.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Almost Killed My Lanos.

Post by BosnianLanos »

Had it and loved it for damn near 7 years and 187, 000 miles, and this morning, I almost murdered it.

I finished my A/C removal (finally) and went to test my car. I also checked my DTC's and found one to be a vacuum leak. I plugged up my breather hose because that's what I thought the leak was. I pulled the dipstick to check the oil, took out my spare tire, emptied my trunk, removed back seats, and I was off. Since it was a "speed test" the f*cker FLEW! Fastest it has ever been. I went around my neighborhood and got stopped at a light. I revved the engine and all was good, I flew off the light and heard a sharp metallic *TING*, I quickly slowed down and checked all my indicator lights, but all was good. I turn into my neighborhood and go to park, and I notice that my throat feels like its burning, like when you stand too close to the smoke at a barbeque. Worried, I look up and I see thick smoke billowing out of my engine compartment. I nearly passed out. I turned off the car and opened the hood. To my terror, I found oil EVERYWHERE, on the inside of the hood, my tranny, my fans, my battery, spark plugs, everywhere. Worst case scenarios start running through my head, headgasket, valves, piston rings, broken block (debo's ARP post flashed across my mind). Finally, I get my head together and start checking my engine for missing parts. Most blatantly obvious, my dipstick was missing, and the dipstick tube seemed to be the center of all of the oil. I had found my problem. I think, with the A/C off of the car, the breather tube plugged up, and my dipstick already loose, the oil pressure got so high when I was at the light, that it rocketed my dipstick out, it hit my hood and oil sprayed out of the tube all over my freshly cleaned engine. I counted my lucky stars that I hadn't just witnessed the end of my affiliation with Daewoo.

I think I caught it on time. I found my dipstick at the bottom of my engine compartment, I put it in and had about 4 mm of oil off of the MIN mark.

Do you guys think that I could have damaged my engine? I refilled it with oil, put the dipstick in, unplugged the breather hose,and it was running very smoothly, no other drips. Even though I'm still afraid to drive it now.

Now I need a new dipstick, new oil cap, and a new timing belt. Not bad for a days work. :cry: :oops: :(
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

goodness... perhaps everyone should go out this weekend and get their timing belt changed... that seems to be the no. 1 issue with these cars! :roll:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

a stupid MO FO at the DMV did that to my car... he took off the dip stick to get the engine no. and didn't put back the stick... luckly i only lost some 3/4 liter of oil and dad was diving it (he dives really slow and gentel) so damage was minimal... only a messy engine bay thats all.

you won't know what happened to the engine unless you tare it apart... my recommendation is: change the oil and oil filter 'cause that oil was stressesd out and probably burnd as hell and drive the car gently and gradually increase the pressure on the engine while you listen carfully to it... any funny sounds and you should stop immediatly and you have to tare the engine apart.

also when you change that oil inspect it throughly for mettalic parts and stuff like that... also look in the oil filter if they are clean then most probably you got away with it.

keep us informed with what you do and find out

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacityracing wrote:goodness... perhaps everyone should go out this weekend and get their timing belt changed... that seems to be the no. 1 issue with these cars! :roll:
it is the no. 1 issue with all interference engines... it is not an inherent Daewoo thing.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

Your fine don't worry. It takes a little while with no oil or very low oil to damage anything. if your oil pressure didn't come on I dought there was any damage at all.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
mkovic

Post by mkovic »

I wouldn't worry to much. Once oil pump in my Racer died, oil pressure light came on and I was still able to drive it home for about 50+ kms. Of course after so much stress engine was trashed, but I'm sure it would be OK if there was minimal oil pressure left since it didn't start to run rough up until half the way.
Exectly the same thing you are describing happend to my Volvo. They are known for issues regrading plugged PCV valves so the pressure finds it's way out either through dipstick or rubber plug at the back of the engine. It's considered good luck to have only dipstick pushed out and engine bay soaked with oil, opposed to having to take the engine out and replace that small rubber plug. :-)