OH CRAP!!! HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i got a belt today and have it scheduled for the change out on thursday... the car hasn't moved since discovering that... :shock:
bfdm_mexi

Post by bfdm_mexi »

Good Deal... at least you caught it. I had mine snap at 11:30pm a couple of weeks ago. after changing the belt and trying to start she sounded like crap and wouldnt stay at idle. anyway, attached the compression guage and cylinders 1, 2, and 4 had 180psi and 3 was a big fat 0. ripped off the intake, exhaust manifold and valve cover only to find the inevitable.... two valves on the intake of cylinder 3 smashed flat. had to take off the head and have it machined and 3 cylinders replaced. heres what the wonderful breakdown of cost i incurred.

machined/repaired head $300
gasket set $160
3 valves @ $35/ea plus $25 overnight shipping = $130
Gates timing belt $80

time and effort of pulling the son of a b**** timing belt off the car because of the f'n water pump pulley.....PRICELESS.
Audacity Racing
moron

got the belt fixed!!! and guess what it was that was eating it.... THE FRICKIN CHOCO CHIP :evil: that made me mad when the service tech pulled it out and handed it to me... :roll:

oh well... at least i got it fixed
bfdm_mexi

Post by bfdm_mexi »

can anyone tell me where to find one of these chips. I see some on ebay but im a little skeptical.
Audacity Racing
moron

bfdm_mexi wrote:can anyone tell me where to find one of these chips. I see some on ebay but im a little skeptical.

after this mess... i really don't think they are actualy worth it. your gas mileage goes to pot when you install one.

if you're actually really wanting to mess with that input to your ecu, buy a potentiameter (variable resistor) so that you can adjust until you get it where you like it.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

bfdm_mexi wrote:can anyone tell me where to find one of these chips. I see some on ebay but im a little skeptical.
try http://www.daewootech.net or contact Chris Ponciano at chris@daewootech.net

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacityracing wrote:got the belt fixed!!! and guess what it was that was eating it.... THE FRICKIN CHOCO CHIP :evil: that made me mad when the service tech pulled it out and handed it to me... :roll:

oh well... at least i got it fixed
how is that possible?? you said the chip was sucked into the engine... how can it eat the belt then?? more elaboration please. :roll:

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

i have no idea what the frick happened... thw iring harness was inside the intake... but the chip was dicovered inside the timing belt cover lodged behind the idler... beats me! :roll: i do't even know a hole where it could have gotten into the timing belt cover except to go between the cams where the little sensor package is... i dunno

atleast it is fixed!
Audacity Racing
moron

alright, so today was the first day i've driven my lanos since the timing belt was fixed. i'm not sure what happened, but the cra definitely feels different... and not in a good way. when at idle, the whole car rattles and you can feel the engine puffs. it also feels like there is absolutely no response in the lower end. i have a manual and could NOT spin my tires in 1st. i'm going back to the place that did it tomorrow morning to complain... but what would have casued it? did they retard or advance it??? at high revs, the engine seems to be ok, but i can't hardly shift because it immediately drops back down to the crap range... any help?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

maybe they didn't get the timing right or messed something else unrelated to the timing belt job... will not be sure till you check it throughly... do you have a CEL??

MMamdouh
FaWEeToO

Post by FaWEeToO »

i didnt change my timing belt yet, but i had this problem once, where the tires hardly spins on 1st, it was the stupid guy who changed the oil!! i think u should check the oil level.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

It happens to me whenever I have A/C on. It really takes all car's power. You should see if your A/C is on or not. I can hardly start the car going and have to keep it over 3k for normal driving.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

AcingTeam wrote:It happens to me whenever I have A/C on. It really takes all car's power. You should see if your A/C is on or not. I can hardly start the car going and have to keep it over 3k for normal driving.
strangly my car feels more responsive with the A\C on... also this happens when i have less than 1/4 tank of fuel... the car just feels a bit faster :shock:

the bad performance bit happened when i got some bad fuel... car hardly accelerated, some knoking in begining of 2nd and 3rd gears and it felt like crap... refill from another gas station cured the problem... also i had a bad battery at the time and my mechanic said it could affect the car as well, i replaced the battery and did the gas refill o nthe same day so i don't know which thing that cured the problem.

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

well... there is no cel light, and after driving the car last night and putting it through its paces, i've determined that they changed the timing to more of a race type... the engine is WAY quieter at higher rpms and such. if i dump the clutch at higher rpms, i get a MAJOR burn-out, so i'm happy with it, but i don't like the way it idles... is there any way to adjust the throttle body so the cable is pulled just a little more? if you press on the gas, even just a little, the rocking aorund goes away (it sounds and feels like a dragster... very puffy and sputtery... but hit the gas and it jumps way high). i want to just turn the butterfly just a tiny bit... is that easy to do?
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You can adjust idle pretty easily, there is a screw that holds the buttlefly open at idle just a bit, depending on the original settings from the factory, you can either raise or lower the idle, sometimes it is as low as it will go, so you can only raise it. Just experiment, all you need is a philips head screwdriver, it is very easily accesible, it is on top of the TB.

Now I'm scared that when I change my timing belt that my car will be slow...er. Are you sure it is tensioned up right? I'm sure that too tight or too loose could affect performance, most run-of-the-mill auto shops don't give a crap about factory torque specifications and do work just to get it done, not satisfy the customer.