Just installed an intake

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Plastic absorbs heat really quickly, it isn't as sturdy or smooth as metal so airflow is affected and if you hit a hard bump it can come apart, and it comes in strange sizes that most of the time doesn't fit an air filter and the air filter can slip off. Not to mention that just looks-wise, it makes your engine bay look really bad, really unproffesional.

What you should do, and what I should have done, is go to an exhaust shop and gotten a custom bent aluminum ram air pipe. The price shouldn't go higher than $50 and it will be worlds bettern than PVC.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

The way I see it, plastic would transfer less heat from the engine bay air to the intake air running through the pipe because it is a poor conductor of heat. As for smoothness of the pipe, yes I think a custum bent metal pipe would be smoother, but it would also transfer more heat to the intake air. For sturdyness, it all depends on how well you design it.

This person here on cardomain seems to have done a good job...... even looks good too.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/824632[/img]
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Plastic doesn't tranfer heat as much as plasic.....that is completly true. Metal might look better. Also heres a thought...why is ferarri and other exotics using a plastic/rubber intake? If your going for performance, Id stay with plasic.
Stay in control with Hankook's weather...or not technology.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i was thinking the same... metal gets hot as hell, yes it can be smoother yet it is a good conductor of heat thus you need to wrap your custom intake with heat schelds and stuff to keep heat out.

i guess a smooth thik plastic pipe will be much better... OK it it won't look as ggod as a metal pipe but i'd rather get cold air than nice looks... i don't drive arround with my hood open anyways.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

exist3nce wrote:The way I see it, plastic would transfer less heat from the engine bay air to the intake air running through the pipe because it is a poor conductor of heat. As for smoothness of the pipe, yes I think a custum bent metal pipe would be smoother, but it would also transfer more heat to the intake air. For sturdyness, it all depends on how well you design it.

This person here on cardomain seems to have done a good job...... even looks good too.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/824632
well... the first part of the intake gives the impression of closet plumbing... feels like someone yanked off the kitchen sink's plumbing and put it on the car.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

mmamdouh wrote:
exist3nce wrote:The way I see it, plastic would transfer less heat from the engine bay air to the intake air running through the pipe because it is a poor conductor of heat. As for smoothness of the pipe, yes I think a custum bent metal pipe would be smoother, but it would also transfer more heat to the intake air. For sturdyness, it all depends on how well you design it.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/824632
well... the first part of the intake gives the impression of closet plumbing... feels like someone yanked off the kitchen sink's plumbing and put it on the car.
BTW if that car got a chevy badge on it will it be a chevy optra?? the reason i ask is that i saw one brand new yesterday but i didn't get to see the name... only saw the chevy badge.

PS i felt sad 'cause i knew this badge could have been a Daewoo and that would be the new Nubira :(

MMamdouh
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

BTW if that car got a chevy badge on it will it be a chevy optra??
Yes, exactly.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

asam wrote:Plastic doesn't tranfer heat as much as plasic.....that is completly true.
Plastic doesn't transfer as much heat as plastic...?

The reason Ferrari uses plastic parts is to keep weight down, and most likely some cost. As far as plastic as a heat conductor, have you ever put your hand on your steering wheel or dashboard after an outing in the direct sun? Welcome to hell... :twisted: . It also takes it quite some time to cool off. A thin piece of metal, esp. aluminum will never get hot enough to harm performance, because air is rushing by too quickly to get an increase in heat. So basically, plastic intakes come down to looks and quality. Metal looks better, and it won't fall apart at the seams like PVC glued together. You also won't get as many laughs when you pop your hood and there is some PVC as opposed to a chrome intake.

But again, personal preference, to each his own. If you like the plumber look, go for the plumber look.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Ever seen plastic get red hot. Last time i checked metal can and will. The temperature of the metal will alter performace.
Me

Post by Me »

i cant even remember the last time i even cared about looks :roll:

do i look like a princess. im more about performance than anything, you may say that its a daewoo its not a race car, its not yet :twisted:

besides i give more credit to people the work suspension and engine than into the "looks" of any car

just my 2 cents
Kronik

Post by Kronik »

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (don't count on it, it don't happen often :wink: ) but PVC is the last thing in the world you'd wanna use for a DIY intake. PVC does not hold up to any high heat situations. Over time, the heat can cause the PVC to deteriorate and eventually collapse until the smallest of pressures. Then you'll end up with not only no filtered protection, but also the potential of little pits of PVC in your intake. Not fun, I can guarantee. Any DIY intakes that I've researched were made of ABS plastic. Much safer, and I think around the same price. Any hardware store with a plumbing section should be able to get you what you need. Some 45 degree and 22.5 degree bends will be able to fine tune the exact bends you need to route almost anywhere not to mention the fact that 3" ABS pipe is pretty standard. And last time I checked, it wasn't hard to find a cone filter that fits a 3" pipe. At least that's my plan. Check this link out for inspiration.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology...but we don't want to spend a lot of money."
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

I completely agree in ABS plastic....thats what I use. A complete intake would cost under $20 + filter.
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Thanks for the info kronik, I will definitely use that kind of plastic when I get mine going.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Me wrote:do i look like a princess
I don't know, do you? LOL (just joking)

LOL

I still think insulated metal or insulated ABS is the best way to go and would stay away from PVC. I don't think I'd like to have the inside of my intake coming apart and being sucked into the engine.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Isn't PVC more pourous, hence letting more heat transfer into the intake?
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.