Pod Filter heat shield

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

flat6

Pod Filter heat shield

Post by flat6 »

Hi All, Im new to the daewoo modding and find it rather fun as i have a Lanos SX 1.6ltr

I've replaced the stock air box with a pod filter, managed to fit it to the end of the intake pipe, my only problem is, its no use having one if its going to suck hot air and loose power (though it sounds bloody great with one :D )

For those of you who have installed aftermarket air filters, if you decided to shield it from the heat off the cam cover/exhaust, how did you go about it?

How much power on average would you loose from the pod filter sucking warm/hot air?

Ive had an attempt at it, which i think might work quite well, I'll attach pics of it tomorrow (2:45am atm) let me know what you think :)

cheers
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I think you're going to gain power regardless if it's going to suck in hot air or not... think about it, you're removing a resinator and everything (it is sooo restrictive), so you should be able to feel gain in hp.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

AcingTeam wrote:I think you're going to gain power regardless if it's going to suck in hot air or not... think about it, you're removing a resinator and everything (it is sooo restrictive), so you should be able to feel gain in hp.
Just an extra elaboraton... replacing the stock air box setup with cone air filter will gain you power, sucking cold air rather than hot air will gain you power too.

in the case of flat6 the power gain from the current air filter setup (cone filter sucking hot air) is much greater than what you would gain from making a sheild that probably it will not be noticed.

i have pics of some custom made schelds... i will locate them and post them soon.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Snail

Post by Snail »

Adding a pod on the end of your intake isnt so much for straight out power... It's just to get your engine breathing better, reducing the effects of "bogging down" and other annoying things like that. The actual difference you notice isnt the power gain (which is usually very small) it's more the added resposiveness of the engine - a benefit of an engine that breathes better.

Also, cold air will always be better than warm/hot air. There is a difference between the two - which relates back to particle theory - but generally the noticeable difference between them is very small. Its always a good idea to knock something up to cover it, if you can't then no big deal. However in some states of Australia, having an oiled pod (most of them are oiled) that isnt enclosed is actually defectable. Check up with your local transport authority just to be sure ;)
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Snail wrote:Adding a pod on the end of your intake isnt so much for straight out power... It's just to get your engine breathing better, reducing the effects of "bogging down" and other annoying things like that. The actual difference you notice isnt the power gain (which is usually very small) it's more the added resposiveness of the engine - a benefit of an engine that breathes better.
Yep that sounds about right, I have noticed a little power gain, though you feel like your hammering it as its so much louder :D

Ive attached some pics of how i went about shielding it

http://users.tpg.com.au/mywayps/Dsc06957.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/mywayps/Dsc06955.jpg
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Snail wrote:However in some states of Australia, having an oiled pod (most of them are oiled) that isnt enclosed is actually defectable. Check up with your local transport authority just to be sure ;)
I live in melb, the pod wasnt oiled when i got it, though i sprayed a bit of K&N Oil on it which should stop any crap getting in it :)

I did hear something about pods being defected a while back, donno how they could get you on oiling it, cant be flamable or anything ??
Snail

Post by Snail »

In melbourne (where I live too actually :)) oiled pods that aren't enclosed are defectable. I've also heard (im not 100% sure) that NSW and QLD also have this rule.

What I mean by oiled pods, is there are two seperate pods available to you:
One works in a similar fashion to your panel filter (stock setup), and requires no oiling at all. This is known as a 'dry element filter'. They come in either the panel shape that fits in your stock box, or recently have came in the same shape as pods.
The other is slightly different than the dry element, and is oiled. You can get them in the panel shape as well as the pod shape, but pod obviously being more popular. I'm not too sure why they oil it, I'm guessing it's able to filter the air much better whilst also having a better air-flow rate.

So if you have a dry element pod that isn't enclosed, the police have no reason to defect you. If you have an oiled pod in the same situation however, they are able to slap a yellow sticker on your windshield :). In most cases the difference between the two is noticable. The obvious touch test is one way to find out (provided the pod is regularly re-oiled to maintain its effectiveness, and no, there wont be much point to simply stop oiling it, as thats what basically makes the pod work as good as it does)

BTW thats a good way to shield it Flat6, but you might want to think about making up a lid for it as I'm not sure if you need to have one for it to be legal. I know when the bonnets down it acts as a lid, but say if you get an unfriendly policeman one night he may get picky and still defect you.
flat6

Post by flat6 »

The filter should be allright, dont think the cops can canary me just yet

but good to know

Done a few laps of chapel street last night, saw the usual 2 - 3 skylines pulled up being defected lol

One of the joys about driving a daewoo, ya dont usually get pulled up for shit like that :twisted:

shield seems to be working perfectly though, filter only felt a little warm after 6 hrs of use :D
Snail

Post by Snail »

Hehe, good to be inconspicuous sometimes :) Humble pulsars used to be shrugged off by police, now half of the ones you see can outrun them... So they're slowly becoming more 'noticed' among the boys in blue :(
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Nice shielding work flat6, that should drop temperatures a few degrees :) .

Only one question, did you take out the intake resonator out of your fender/wheelwell, as I still see the rubber grommet from the resonator in the pics. If you haven't, taking it out will drop temperatures even more.
flat6

Post by flat6 »

BosnianLanos wrote: Only one question, did you take out the intake resonator out of your fender/wheelwell, as I still see the rubber grommet from the resonator in the pics. If you haven't, taking it out will drop temperatures even more.
Nah dont think I did, which grommet is the intake resonator?

cheers
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

The resonator is a big black plastic box in your passenger (driver if you are have right hand drive car, such as in Australia) fender/wheelwell. If you take off the plastic wheel well covering attached to the front bumper you will see this box, it is designed to take air from the wheel well, heat it up in the plastic box and allow your intake to take it into the engine. Taking out this box and the grommet (rubber thing around the metal hole which held the intake box) will drop temperatures considerably. This is where most of the power is found in our intake upgrades. Running a hose to the front fog light hole up to the opening where the resonator was will also drop the temperatures.

There used to be a How- To write up about it on Daewootech.net, but the link is now dead.

Basically:

1. Jack up your car, put on jackstands. (Not necessary but makes job easier)
2. Remove passenger (should be driver for you if in Australia) front wheel. (Again, not necessary but for the sake of easiness)
3. Take out the 5-6 screws holding in the front of the black plastic wheel well.
4. Fold wheel well back and out of the way.
5. Look inside the opening and you will be able to see a black plastic box.
6. Reach around the box to find some hex nuts holding it in, and then pry the box loose from it's little "clip" things (for lack of a better word).
7. Take out box, it should be connected to some hoses.
8. Remove the grommet from the intake hole
9. Reconnect everything.
10. Enjoy.

I hope this is good, if not, I'll try something better. LoL.
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Thanks BosnianLanos, seems fairly straight forward :)

I will give it a shot tonight n let ya's know how it goes

cheers
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

don't forget to take off the fog light cover at that side to allow air to go into the wheel well much easyer.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

What did you make the heat shield out of. I've been thinking of doing that too.