ECU restart

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

elhamy201

ECU restart

Post by elhamy201 »

I have read that you need to reset your ECU after you have added something like a cold air intake, exhaust, or whatever. How do you do this? Complicated?
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

well its not that complicated you can do 1 of many things, 1 unplug battery for few minutes. 2 start you car and turn it off.. repeat this like 4 times or something like that, or just drive with it for about 90 miles

thats what i read in my repair manual
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

wut do u get out of restarting the ECU?
elhamy201

Post by elhamy201 »

We need more details here please !!!!!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Resetting the ECU is done to wipe pff all the feedback it got about the engine, after doing that the ECU will start learning about the engine all over again so it can "feel" the new mods or service you just done.

to reset the ECU; unhook the -ve connector of the battery then step on the brakes so htat the brakes light drains any stored power in the car's electrical system then put back the - ve connector.

turn on the ignition key on for 5 seconds then back off for 3 consecutive times then start the engine.

i have the learning process of the ECU some where but not at hand right now... i will find it and post it as soon as i can.

P.S: don't you think we need a "How To" section in the forum?? we can put this post, how to remove the dash, replace front pads, clean TB and intake and stuff to make it easyer for the members to find what they seek.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Snail

Post by Snail »

If you disconnect the negative lead from the battery, nothing can draw power from it... So disconnecting the battery negative lead for more than about a minute will be sufficient to re-set the ECU/ECM... There are millions of old wives tales regarding this. But the one thats been mentioned is really the way to go.