Daewoo Ignition Driver

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Daewoo Ignition Driver

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok.... I just want to clarify any misconceptions there might be about this driver I designed.

First off..... lets talk about the stock setup.

The ECU sends pulses to the stock ignition coil to make it fire.

What you don't see is that there is a piece of electronics integrated into the coil pack called "The driver circuit".

This driver circuit gets the pulse from the ECU and it fires the coils.

OUR CAR....

ECU --> INTEGRATED DRIVER/COIL PACK --> SPARK

In many cars the coil pack and driver are separate parts.

In some cases the coil driver is integrated into the ECU.

A standard aftermarket ignition system requires the signal from the driver to make it work.

The ECU signal is incompatable with the aftermarket systems.

With a car that has the driver integrated into the ECU this is no problem.... you just hook the wires from the ECU into the Aftermarket Ignition module which then attaches to the factory coils.

ECU/DRIVER --> AFTERMARKET IGNITION --> FACTORY COILS --> SPARK

With a car where the driver is separate from the coils you just hook the aftermarket Ignition module in between the two and use it to fire the stock coils (high performance aftermarket coils can also be purchased)

ECU --> FACTORY DRIVER --> AFTERMARKET IGNITION --> FACTORY COILS --> SPARK

The reason for upgrading to an aftermarket system is that it usually lets you fool around with the ignition timing and typically has more spark power.... which make more power and better engine response.

Our problem is that the driver is part of the coil and you can't separate them and make them work separately.

So my "DAEWOO IGNITION DRIVER" was a piece of electronics I designed to take the place of the factory integrated ignition coil assembly.

So the ECU sends it's signal to my driver.... the driver is attached to the aftermarket ignition..... and then you use the aftermarket ignition to fire a set of coils.

Unfortunatly you can't use the factory coils due to the fact that the driver and coil are integrated into a single package.

So basicly this driver I made is simply a device to allow an aftermarket ignition system to get the required signal from the car.

Here is the setup for our Daewoos ....

ECU --> AFTERMARKET DRIVER --> AFTERMARKET IGNITION MODULE --> AFTERMARKET COILS --> SPARK

So to make things work you have to buy the driver circuit I made, and aftermarket ignition system and a separate coil pack.

Instead of buying an aftermarket coil you could actually get one from a scrap yard if money is an issue.

Example cars that have a non-integrated coil/driver are the Dodge Neon, Mitsu Eclipse... and many more.

Hopefully this explains all the details of this driver setup.

What you get for an aftermarket ignition module is up to you.....

WooHoo spent a pile of money on his system but it allows him to change the ignition maps to accomidate for a turbo system.

Turbo systems require that you retard the ignition as boost rises so as to avoid detonation.

If one were to let a factory naturally aspirated ECU run the timing on an engine you put a turbo onto you could run into detonation problems.

With WooHoo's system (which is very expensive) there are all kinds of extra features which allow you to make the absolute maximum power via programing it with a laptop computer.

There are simple... cheap alternatives..... most people don't require a high end system like WooHoo.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

make sticky!! :D
Hassan

Post by Hassan »

Hello Erfinder!

Could you recommend some basic setups with their respective applications?