2000 daewoo lanos 1.6.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pulsardet

2000 daewoo lanos 1.6.

Post by pulsardet »

I just bought a 2000 lanos, and I have a sort of issue with heating / coolant. When i bought the car the coolant was at minimum in the overflow tank, and heating was so/so sometime hot some time cold, and in winter, heating need to work. Now I fill up the baby to maximum , then the heating was very good and strong for a 4 cyl. Then after a 20 minutes drive, no heating or very low, engine temps on gauge is good. I park the car no more coolant, none of it, I open the overflow, then the overflow refill by itself because of the pressure to about the minimum mark maybe a little bit more. I check the compression on the engine everything is good, check the oil, perfect and normal color, their is no weird smoke or sent. I don't see any leaks. Any idea what could be the cause of my problem ? I still fill the coolant at a rate of 30 minutes drive, if i continue to drive more example 45 minute, the engine stay at normal temp, but i don't have heating...

Any idea what i could check or test, or any idea at all, at beginning taught was head gasket but now I don't know.

Thank you for you help. Sorry for the bad English

Now
benzino
Expert

Re: 2000 daewoo lanos 1.6.

Post by benzino »

when you say you don't have heating, do you mean the heater in the cabin?

that could be due to a blocked heater core

if that's not what you mean, please try and explain better
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

You have a leak.
I would suspect head gasket too. Ask mechanic for a coolant sniffer test that can detect the presence of CO² in coolant.
Check aspect/color of spark plug electrodes. Post pictures.

Fix this problem ASAP as coolant in exhaust is not good for oxygen sensor and/or catalytic converter.
pulsardet

Post by pulsardet »

Thank you for the fast answer, I go check a mechanic to have the issue sort out, just hope it's not the head gasket. Must be a expensive job to fix.
pulsardet

Post by pulsardet »

Finaly headgasket is gone, they what 1700$ CAD for the job, it's twice the price i pay for the car, if i buy the part alone, it's 200$ on ebay, can i do the job my self, and is their any shop manual for lanos car ?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Several members on this forum have already done this job. Hopefully not (yet) me on my Nubira 8) . You'll find service manuals in the FAQ section http://daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5085 . Do a search for "head gasket". Read read read before losening bolts. Stay on this post to ask questions.
pulsardet

Post by pulsardet »

What would be the best (easy) way to do a head gasket, I think i am gonna try to pull the head off, with the manifold off but everything still hook to the head, sensor and throttle body, wiring. Since the least we touch the best chance we have it running fast, I order all the tool's I need, filler gauge, torque wrench, head gasket bolt, t-belt water pump. If the head is not true or wrap , when they machine back into spec do we need to receive all the stuff, cam, valve ect? I know it would be best to have a new head, but more expensive and for a beater care, i don't mind leaking valve seal, but at the time we speak everything is good on that side, only thing i could see could be a wrap head. sorry for the noob question but I read a lot on internet and on this forum, and the job seem to be not that bad. I much time i could expect on this project ?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Can't answer all questions since not yet done on my Nubi.

I've read in the manual that it is more easy to remove the head with intake/exhaust monifolds still in place.
If the head need to be machined I would prefer buying a rebuild one from Ebay Motors as head height is critical. You can expect paying about 400USD.
Measure the height of the cylinder head from sealing
surface to sealing surface. The cylinder head height
should be 138.13 to 138.18 mm (5.438 to 5.440 inch-
es). If the cylinder head height is less than
138.13 mm (5.438 inches), replace the cylinder head.
Look in the service manual prior to work.
pulsardet

Post by pulsardet »

I did order all the part, torque wrench angle, bolt, gasket kit, should be like new when ill finish. I keep you update on the project