Thermostat

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

broken

Thermostat

Post by broken »

Can someone please tell me, is it easy to replace the thermostat in a 1999 Lanos 1.5 SOHC. It looks like a prick to get to .....stuck right in the centre of the top of plastic timing cover? :) Thanks
MMamdouh

Re: Thermostat

Post by MMamdouh »

you have to remove the timing belt and cam gear and the upper end of the backside of the timing belt housing to get to the thermostat housing

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
broken

Post by broken »

Thankyou MMamdouh for your reply, I will have to try and remove thermostat another way... there is no way in this world that im going to remove timing belt and upper cover to remove thermostat.. surely a car couldnt be that badly designed. :roll:

edit: looked at a online manual.

I think there comes a point with some cars that you are willing to accept or overlook certin design factors (flaws) but having to take off a timing belt +upper rear timing cover + other stuff to change a thermostat is the final nail in the coffin concerning daewoo for me. Just not worth the frustration. Ive owned many makes of cars over the years and never heard of that before.
bluesx

Post by bluesx »

It seems to me that this is just another way for the manufacturer to justify a very expensive service or repair bill.
Their poor designs are costing the consumer a fortune. The DOHC 1.6 e-tec engine has similar issues with PCV valve and power steering pump replacement.There used to be a lot of repairs that we could do ourselves, that's all changing now.
Between the special tools, need of a chassis lift, expensive parts, code readers etc. we are at the mercy of the Daewoo repairman, if you can find him! I hope that you can make a wise decision on this one. take care , From a fellow Daewoo owner for the last 11 years.