Valve cover gasket leak '99 Leganza

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Trackerrrr

Valve cover gasket leak '99 Leganza

Post by Trackerrrr »

Anyone else have a problem with the valve cover gasket not sealing? I put a new gasket on less than 3K miles ago and it's already leaking oil worse than the old one.
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
benzino
Expert

Re: Valve cover gasket leak '99 Leganza

Post by benzino »

Did you use gasket goo as well?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

I did mine and i only have a few thousand on afterwards and mine is probably almost as bad too. I'm just letting it weep now. I am used to the burning oil smell!?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

benzino wrote:Did you use gasket goo as well?
Hi benzino,

Your advice needed here 'cos my poor english can't understand where exactly to put the sealant. Could you edit the pic and point where to put it?
Many thanks
Valve cover.JPG
Trackerrrr

Post by Trackerrrr »

I pulled the cover and put some RTV down which helps some but still weeps a bit. FELPRO, you suck.
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Daniel wrote:
benzino wrote:Did you use gasket goo as well?
Hi benzino,

Your advice needed here 'cos my poor english can't understand where exactly to put the sealant. Could you edit the pic and point where to put it?
Many thanks
Valve cover.JPG
if i were you, just put sealant right round the edge
how can it leak if it's entirely sealed :lol:
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
einekatze

Post by einekatze »

Theoretically, a properly installed gasket should need no RTV to help seal. This theory rides upon the assumption that both mating surfaces are completely flat and even. Let's be honest here, it is a Daewoo, the surfaces do not mate correctly. I have a 2.0 DOHC and the valve covers are notorious for leaking on them. I use royal blue RTV and apply it liberally to the cover itself, making sure it covers the track that the gasket rides in. After placing the gasket, I apply less slightly more conservatively on top the gasket and even the layer with my finger. Fallow the torque sequence tightening to I believe 16 inch pounds ( correct me if I am wrong). I then take a paper towel and wipe the excess from around the mating surfaces. This leaves a nice even layer of RTV all the way around the mating surfaces inside and out. You should have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of RTV visible around the outer edge. It actually accents the blue paint on my car. :badgrin:
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

how long do you have to let that stuff cure and what happens to the excess that is pushed INSIDE the valve cover?
Trackerrrr

Post by Trackerrrr »

I think I found out why my cover was leaking so bad. The crankcase vent system was hooked up wrong and wasn't pulling vacuum on the engine which allowed the blowby gases to pressurize the cover and push the oil out. Once I got the hoses routed right, no more leak!
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the valve cover could be warped... you should replace it if you placed it on a glass surface and found out it is warped indeed

also the metal guides can be a bit longer than they should preventing a 100% mating between the head and the cover... rub some metal from the guides if it is too long

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267