Prototype Cold air intake for Lacetti/Optra/Forenza

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Prototype Cold air intake for Lacetti/Optra/Forenza

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well... a few mandrel bent tubes, silicon pieces and a fair bit of TIG welding and we have ourselves a prototype air intake.

So far I like it.... way more power in the top end.... pulls really hard from 3500rpm to redline.

We will be taking the car to the dyno shop sometime very soon to test it out.... we will have the stock intake setup first, then this prototype and possibly a second prototype (if we have time)

The sound is really great..... here is a link to the video.... keep in mind that it's partially muffled due to my crappy digital camera.... in real life it sounds even better.

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 1585#11585
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The gameplan is to have the Optra dynotosted with the stock intake to establish the baseline. Then in the same environment, the prototype CAI will be tested with a different lengths and diameters of the runner tube to determine the optimum gains. The graph will be posted once completed.

Post by kinkyllama »

Wait so have you guys dyno it yet, i figured by the video you already got the intake on there?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes.... the prototype is in my car at the moment...I wanted to give the ECU some time to adjust to the intake and see if it had a problem with anything.

So far I have about 50km on the intake and no problems at all.

I was just saying to GsiTurbo that if feels like a small turbo.... very steady pull from 3500 to redline.

With the stock air box the engine would pull hard from about 3000rpm to about 4500rpm and then the engine would seem to loose a bit of power.

I figure it was due to the massive restriction of the system.... I will post the pictures of the stock intake/airbox... they sure went out of their way to try and make it quiet... but it's very inefficent.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Cool... dont forget to post results. I'm very interested.

When do you guys plan on doing the turbo project on that car? or is that still a plan? 8)
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

Why do people drive with foglights on when there is NO FOG??? Its a pet hate of mine, but i also think it can be dangerous to other drivers, as foglights are very bright.......
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

fog lights are not just for fog, if you go to any auto store and look at the light selection it will say driving lights. and most new cars that have "fog" lights are always on or on with the regular lights are on, they arnt all that much brighter its how they are pointed, driving lights are 55w and "fog" lights are 55w, but if you think thats bright you dont want to drive infront of me, people are always honking and flashing me with their brights until i flash them and they go blind. for my driving lights i have some streetglow 80/100w xenon-white (blue) with 2 pairs of "fog" lights one pair is 55w blue wired to the low/high beam and one pair is 100w blue wired to the high beams only, it is so intensly bright on the high beam that you cant look at it. why you ask?? well i live in a town that in notorius for deer, elk, moose and anything else thats huge running out infront of you and totalling cars so i want to see them from as far as i can, i have hit so many dear in my other car and have come extremly close to hitting atleat 10 deer in the woo

ok back to the topic

that car of yours Chris sounds sweet as hell!!! i havnt heard my car other then when im sitting in it. maybe ill let my g/f drive it while i take some video of it after the turbo instlal
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

I'm talking about the people who use foglight on streets with street lights and think they are all that while they do it. If they are used for a purpose i have nothing against that.
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Fog lights are Yellow.... these are clear so they are driving lights.... they are pointed very low towards the side..... they don't shine in anyones eyes.... they are good for country roads where you want to see into the ditch (we have lots of deer as well )

I wasn't driving..... GsiTurbo was.... he turned them on to signal he was ready to go..... I only use them when I'm out of the city.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

kinkyllama wrote:When do you guys plan on doing the turbo project on that car? or is that still a plan? 8)
The turbo kit is on it's way soon ( I hope ).... it's just an issue of getting some money together to bring in a couple of complete kits plus a bunch of accessories ( exhaust manifolds, extra turbos, blow off valves...ect )

Tom ( GsiTurbo, 360Dynamics ) is working on financing issues as we speak.... hopefully everything will go as planned.

It would be nice to have it installed before the New Year but it all hinges on financing and shipping times.

The intake was designed for resale by Tom's new company.... it will be pulled out of my car when the turbo kit arrives.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Once you guys can give me a good idea of the price range the turbo should be and what it comes with let me know. . . im saving up my money
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

The intake sounds pretty good in the vid. I see Toms enjoying himself with the new business! Wish I had a job like that 8)

How are you testing it on the dyno? Are you going to try and get some 'real world' figures by keeping the bonnet (hood) shut and placing the air temp probe near the intake entrance?

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

The dyno session has been booked for this coming Tuesday. Erfinder and myself will test 2 slighlty different configurations of the CAI against the baseline of stock intake.

We will try to make the setup as close to each other and to the real life as possible. The results will be posted some time on Wednesday.

Me is verry excited... :lol:

Post by kinkyllama »

Tuesday suddenly feels so far away. . .

:lol:
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

kinkyllama wrote:Tuesday suddenly feels so far away. . .

:lol:
Yeah, I know...