Oil change - what weight oil?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

bathuu

Oil change - what weight oil?

Post by bathuu »

HI guys,
I bought an used 1997 Daewoo Lanos SE 1.5 SOHC 5dr hatch last year. It did not come with manual, obviously second hand car so no surprise. After I bought it I changed its oil (15W-40 Repco) and oil filter. And it has been running almost 10k now. So I'm thinkering to give another oil change.
But firstly, this time I want to know what is the recommended oil weight for my car. I searched on internet and could not find much information. Even wondering if had used correct oil on last change.
Secondly, do I need to change oil filter this time? My friend advised me the oil filter can be changed every 20k or second oil change.
Can you help inform me on this please, I have very little knowledge about car and just have been trying to get little closer to my cars inside. I live in Brisbane, Australia if any weather condition accounts for oil weight that should be used in car.
Cheers
Daewoo Lanos 98' 1.5 SOHC 5d Hatchback, MT, LHD
Daniel
Expert

Re: Oil change - what weight oil?

Post by Daniel »

Welcome here,

You should use
API SH grade or ACEA A1/A2/A3
SAE 5W30, SAE 10W30, SAE 10W40, SAE 15W40
(Cold area: SAE 5W30 ---> Hot area: SAE 15W40)
Oil filter is cheap, change it every oil change.

You may want to go to the FAQ section searching for the manual for your car.

Daniel,
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

Thanks for quick reply. I did not understand what does mean below. /probably no need to right?/
Daniel wrote: API SH grade or ACEA A1/A2/A3
Australia is a hot place and therefore just confirming that recommended oil is 15W-40? Also oil change interval is 10k kms or lower than this?
And I was not able to download service manual in the FAQ section. Can someone please re-upload it.

Cheers
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

API level is the "quality" of oil. The higher the letters the higher the quality. The grade is indicated on the bottle. You should use "at least" the minimum grade.
To be read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil .

Oil change at 10kkm is ok unless you drive in very difficult conditions.

I'll reload the Lanos service manual somewhere. Pls take it with precautions since different locations can have different makes.
headly

Post by headly »

Hi Daniel,

Im in Canberra and used to use 5w50 Shell full synth when mine was new, this oil performed well and 'gave' the car a little more midrange torque, but it also burned through a little too. I mainly used this oil because of the cold winters we were having (it was around -10 when i would go to work). Currently Im running penrite HPR10 semi synth (I have this in my other car and am running this out of ease), which is a 10w50, the difference is noticable and Im thinking of dropping back to a lighter weight.

I have used other 10w40 semi synth's (mobil, castrol, shell), I think the mobil one burnt off the quickest, then the castrol, then shell. Penrite is a good oil, dont get me wrong, I'll probably stick to it, just a lighter weight.

Ive spent some time up your way and know about yr weather. Although you dont get the cold temps that we do, I would still try a 5w50 but listen to the engine, if it starts to sound like a tractor (valve noise) then this is the indicator to change out yr oil. I aim to change mine every 5K but it ends up being around 8K.

Always change your filter with your oil, it only costs around $10-$14 for a new filter, valvoline (can get from k-mart) and Ryco are the only real ones in our market that are made to OEM spec and remember to dip your finger into the new oil and lubricate the seal on the new filter before screwing it on.
bathuu

Post by bathuu »

Thanks for post Headly,
I got these left over oils. One is Repco brand and another is Shell Helix. Both same 15W-40 generic mineral oils (nothing premium or synthetic). And just wondering can these oils can be put together :minigun: on next oil change. Will there be any downside on mixing brands? /If not, there seems to some left overs will be gathering over the years :roll: /
Cheers
headly

Post by headly »

Hi Daniel,

Yeah look you should be fine to mix the two, just listen to your engine and the valve train will tell you when its time to change. The shell oil shouldnt give you any probs, I dunno about the Repco stuff though, if you google it and try and hit some of the falcon / commodore forums that'll give you and indicator, from what ive read though it didnt last 8k km. So yeah id blend, change your filter and then dump it after 5K, treat it like its a cleaning oil, flushing the crap out of your motor.