2.0 16v C20XE Conversion - Racer XE

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

After a couple of days of no progress and no rings... this afternoon i should finally get the rings...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Tractor

Post by Tractor »

Hello

what?s a SR20DET Piston? Is a GM piston? or is it from another brand? :roll:

About the 20XE engine, it was introduce in 1987 (not 89) in the Kadett E GSI, it was a non cat engine with 156 HP, then follow by the 20XEJ non cat and 150HP, but it had more torque and finaly the (cat) C20XE with 150HP with the bosch 2.5 monotronic and from the 93 it came with the 2.8 monotronic insted.

By the way, what a really nice job, keep on going 8)

Chao
Opel Fan
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Hey Tractor!

nice to see you around here!

The SR20DET engine is a Nissan 2.0 16v (86mmx86mm) a very similar basic desing to the 20XE/LET engines.

some NEWS

the pistons are IN! :D

today the rod bolts will get the correct torque settings, install the oil pan (sump) from my old 8v and other small bits to get the block ready... then the head should be installed to start working on the Intake.

Im slowly getting there :lmao:

Efrain
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

That looks great!
Keep up with the pics, we are all interested in your progress. :)

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I noticed the pictures of the C20XE connecting rod/piston next to the SR20DET in the album and for some reason the SR20DET setup seemed way longer.

Was it my imagination or are they different heights from the top of the piston to the center of the connecting rod??

Does the piston stay below the deck ( top of the block ) or do the pistons come above slightly?

If they come above they are more than likely going to smack the valves and head.... how do plan on stopping this from happening??

Here is the pic I'm talking about.....

DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i think the sr20det is the short and dirty one and the long one is the c20xe
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Erfinder wrote:I noticed the pictures of the C20XE connecting rod/piston next to the SR20DET in the album and for some reason the SR20DET setup seemed way longer.

Was it my imagination or are they different heights from the top of the piston to the center of the connecting rod??

Does the piston stay below the deck ( top of the block ) or do the pistons come above slightly?

If they come above they are more than likely going to smack the valves and head.... how do plan on stopping this from happening??
Have you read the entire thread Chirs? :P

in that pic the SR20DET is on the left (rusty rod one) and the XE is on the right... yes the SR20 has a shorter rod.

and im using only the piston rings...

Efrain.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:oops: I misread what you were talking about.... I didn't realize that it was just the rings you were after.

I thought you told me you were going to use the SR20DET rods and pistons for some reason....and I assumed the C20XE was the rusty one.

It looks like the SR20DET pistons might fit onto the C20XE connecting rod..... the piston's top surface to pin center looks very close.

I wonder what the pin diameter of the SR20DET is.... hmmm.... that would be an interesting way to get some lower compression with a forged piston. (for a turbo)

I have a T25 turbo for you...but it would probably cost a pile to send it.

You could probably use the C20GET ECU... most likely easier to integrate into your car ( I have one kicking around from my Sunbird GT Turbo )

The C20GET uses a distributor (I think it has a cam sensor integrated into it ) so it's not too complex to hook up.

How do you plan to weld the cast aluminum intake parts together???

I thought cast aluminum was impossible to weld for some reason.... or maybe I'm thinking of cast iron ( which usually requires the use of a nickel brazing rod instead of a TIG/MIG welder )
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

The head is on! no cams yet! :P

:lmao:

Erfinder: now that the head is installed my mechanic has more space to check on the intake hybrid... yesterday he told me that maybe the F20A intake can be used without cuting it... maybe it will work by only drilling the holes for the XE intake bolts... today he will get the intake gasket to match the F20A one to see what he can do...

i told him to watch this thread... he says that when he sorts the intake thing he will post here :roll:

theres still lots to do.... but now im BROKE! :lmao:

Efrain.
Yellow_Astra

Post by Yellow_Astra »

8)
Turbocharged
C20XE
Modfreak

Post by Modfreak »

Hello let me first intruduce myself im arthur from holland and was surfing the web and looking to this project to build the engine from a scratch, :D
My compliments it looks very sweet.

Im building a block at the moment to. Its a C20xe too although it will be without cat-system off course so it's a Motronic 2.8 system.

I dit a lot of polishing and i'm not done yet. I hope to find some time to get a grip on the head to grind the port's or we say flowing...anyway to make the in- &ex-haust ports bigger. :twisted:

Here some pic's how i bought it (it had a broken oil pan too This guy drove with his Opel astra mk3 of a dam with about 50 km/h = 30 mp/h :shock: the car was a total wreck)

i have a lot of pic'z but ill better post them in a new topic other wise i poil yours. but just to give a impression.

The thing about the sr20det pistons and rod's is very intersting !!!!!
Because in the furture im planning to do a turbo conversion on this blok.
Maybe you can do some measure on the rod's and pistons, diffrence in weight im very interested :D
Straightaways are for fast cars. Corners are for FAST DRIVERS !
Modfreak

Post by Modfreak »

Ow yes....a other thing about the rev limiter. The valve springs officially hold to 8000 rpm BUT it?can be dangerous (when there old) by 7500 rpm there?s a chance that the valve?s will french kiss with the piston?s

greetz a.
Tractor

Post by Tractor »

Hello Modfreek

I can see that you have a coscast head, do you like better the 2.8 bosch monotronic rather than the old one 2.5?

Nice job on your engine.

Chao
Opel Fan
Modfreak

Post by Modfreak »

I believe you should have a better spark and less wear of components. with the motronice 2.8 only thing i do want in the future is a turbo chargers in a custom setup
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Thank you for your comments Modfreak!

I got the intake last week... here's some pics:

I know the cam cover its a bit dirty... it was laying arround i just put it there for the pic...

Yes the intake sits a bit high... maybe my hood will not close :?

more details on the welding.... etc will be posted in the incoming days...

So... for those that know the XE on kadett engine bays... do you guys think it will hit the bonnet? :lmao:

efrain.