Getting Blinking CEL at about 70mph

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Not yet removed my injectors on my car. There is a topic in the how-to section. Looks not that hard. Remove fuel pressure before doing that. I think there's nothing to "see" on a bad injector. Just swap them to see what happens.

Daniel
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

check the how to section... you can't really inspect them as their is nothing their to visualize but you have to swap #1 injector with another one... say #4 injector and go for a test drive.

if the DTC is still misfire on cyl. 1 then the injectors are OK if the DTC follws the injector (misfire on cyl. 4) then this injector needs cleaning or even replacment.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
wazz

Re: Getting Blinking CEL at about 70mph

Post by wazz »

I am in a simular boat with my 2000 Lanos, for reference I am a Master Tech with L1 and usualy pretty good at this kind of diagnostics. I have been tring to get this car thru DEQ off and on for weeks now. I keep ending up with a P0301 code for a missfire on cylinder number 1. some times it takes 2 days and around 80 miles to come back on.

So far I have tried 1 set of NGk Plugs, then rereplaced #1, plus a new set of Belden plug wires, then another new set out of frustration, tried a different coil from a bone yard, tried swaping all 4 injectors into different holes, tried a cylinder leak down it checked out great, checked compression and found #1 was a about 7 PSI higher then the rest it read 187PSI.

I have noticed the long term fuel trim is around -6%, I dont think that should matter untill it gets over 10%.

Then I found this TSB:

008-01 12/19/2001 TEC TEST PROCEDURES AFTER ECM, PCM OR BATTERY DISCONNECTION
Bulletin No.: TSB-008-01

Model(s): All

Date: December 19, 2001

VIN Range: All

Description: TEC Test Procedure

Group: Engine

Reference: Scan 100 Operator Manual

Prod. Dates: All

Whenever an Engine Control Module (ECM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or battery is disconnected/replaced, the TEC Test Procedure (referred to as the "Crankshaft Position Variation Learning Procedure" in the Service Manual) must be performed using the Scan 100 Scan Tool. This procedure electronically aligns the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor to the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor to correct for variations in Timing Belt length, camshaft and crankshaft pulleys, etc. Failure to perform the TEC Test procedure can cause poor driveability and a variety of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) including P1336 - 58x Crank Tooth Not Learned to be stored in diagnostic memory along with Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) illumination.

Whenever any component that may affect the relationship between the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor and the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor is removed or replaced, the TEC Test Procedure must be performed. Items that may affect the "learned" alignment include the CMP Sensor, the CKP Sensor, the ECM/PCM, the Timing Belt, Cylinder Head, Short Block, Camshaft Pulley(s), Engine Assembly, etc.

A number of seemingly unrelated DTCs and/or driveability concerns have also resulted from vehicles where the TEC Test was not properly completed after battery disconnect/ replacement or ECM/PCM replacement. Various misfire DTCs, rough idle concerns, intermittent stalling, or reports of MIL flashing with no DTCs set are common. If you are diagnosing a vehicle with any of these concerns, please complete the TEC Test and re-check the vehicle before continuing with your diagnosis.

A new Engine Control Module (ECM) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is programmed with the latest version of the vehicle program for the specific model and does not need to be "Programmed" using the Scan 100 Scan Tool. However, it is still necessary to connect the Scan 100 Scan Tool to the vehicle to complete the installation process. After the ECM/PCM is properly installed and the battery reconnected, please perform the following procedure:

TEC Test Procedure:

Note: Before beginning the TEC Test Procedure, ensure that the engine temperature is above 149°F (65°C).

1. Connect the Scan 100 Scan Tool to the Data-Link Connector (DLC) and press the "Power" button.

2. From the Main Menu, choose "Reprogramming" (selection 6).

Note: The Scan 100 may indicate that the ABS Fuse (Lanos F-19, Nubira F-15) be removed on 1998-99 Lanos and Nubira models equipped with Delphi ABS.

3. Choose "Miscellaneous" (selection 3).

4. Replacement ECM/PCM Only - Choose "VIN Input" (selection 9). When indicated, enter "password" 0-0-0-0, then press "ESC" to go to the VIN Input screen. Scroll left-to-right to choose the character and scroll up-and-down to change each character. Press "ENTER" when the VIN is correct to save the VIN and return to the "Miscellaneous" screen.

5. Choose TEC Test (selection 8). Start the engine when prompted and press "ENTER" to continue. When prompted, with the shift selector in the "Park" position and holding the brake pedal down firmly with your left foot, depress the throttle fully and allow the engine to reach fuel cut at 4,000 rpm. Hold the throttle at this point (approximately 2-3 seconds) until the rpm begins to drop and "TEC Test Normal (Good)" is displayed, then release the throttle.

Note: The Scan 100 will only allow one (1) TEC Test to be completed per key cycle.

If you have any questions about this procedure or need additional information, please contact the Daewoo Technical Assistance Center toll free at (877) DMA-1234, selection 1.
I do not have a "Scan 100" for the cam/crank relearn procedure, not sure what to do at this point myself.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Do you remember if this problem occured after some work on engine?
David74

Post by David74 »

Hi guys,i've been having the same exact problem for a while now .The car runs great and the funny thing is that just past smog check here in California with that problem unsolved.Any solution yet..???
Thanks !!!
Lanos 2000 1.6 DOHC
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

so when im on the freeway i get the CEL flashing.
gotta say a few things;
1) before anyone tests, gotta make sure car is at operating temp.
2) that the CEL has been cleared before preforming a test(s)
3) CEL on is nothing major, just a problem
4) CEL flashing means its a very important mess up and you need to pull over, thus why it flashes
5) when around (1.6 Lanos A/T) 3,000rpm (85MPH) if i floor it, it will throw CEL and flash until i turn the car off. if you feel very very closely on the gas pedal, you can feel the car run weird, it will rumble just a little for a second then run smooth, and repeat the process every other second, once off the throttle, itll run smoothly again.

on my lanos, i get cyl4 misfire. ive ran into this many many many many etc.. times. i havent check recently, since that has always been the problem, and i found that the spark jumps the boot on the 4cyl. meaning the boot around the spark plug, it will ground it self, thus not allowing a spark and misfiring.
ive replaced the plugs, ran good for a bit then CEL. ive replaced the wires, ran good for a while then CEL. so i think im just gonna use fattiest wire possible prob 8.5mm? and make my own wires.

to jonny c, i can only thing of the CPS (camshaft) being broken or you need to do the TEC. as do i.

supposedly from what i have read and heard... you can disconnect the ground from the battery and hold the brake until all the electricity is gone in the ECU, then hook it back up and SUPPOSEDLY the ECU is to learn the new timings. (what i heard) that if you do any engine work involving something that can effect the engine that you reset the ECU.

but after reading the TEC.. i want to do that. time to find/buy "scan 100".
~wolf (sorry for hella long post)
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake