89 LEMANS HELP

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Xavier21

89 LEMANS HELP

Post by Xavier21 »

Hey everyone recently ive changed my fuel filter fuel pump and fuel injector. I still cant get my car to fully turn over theres fuel pressure the ecu is working and pump is working.. Idk what else could be going wrong the injector dosent spray it just drips fuel. I have to pour gas into injector just to get it running for a second. Plz give me any info on what else could be wrong.
wolfsreign
Expert

Re: 89 LEMANS HELP

Post by wolfsreign »

to me, it sounds like everything works, but it doesnt want to start up.
you said you pour fuel into the fuel injectors? sounds very dangerous.
um.. if its a fuel rail like my lanos.. test and make sure the pipe leading to the rail/rail end is okay; accurate pressure, and fuel comeing out.
if not then it could be a clogged/broken hose some where.

basically dissconnect the hose to the rail, put a bucket underneath, and then turn the car to on then off. if there is no block, fuel should come spraying right out.

then if that is okay, i would say pull the injectors out, but keep them hooked up, (fuel+wires) and turn the car to on then off.. see what comes out, then try to do a roll over, and see if anything comes out of them. if fuel comes out, then i can say it wouldnt be the fuel way.

next suggestion is check the spark plugs+wires.. (even though u said it does start) make sure there are no shorts, like the plugs gounding them selves to the block, my woo did that on the 4cyl a few times. easy fix. also when you pull the plugs, check their condition too see if they are wet/dry/normal.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Davinci_360

Post by Davinci_360 »

I have two '89 Lemans, and I've had problems with fuel delivery in the past on one of them. I'm guessing you have the 1.6 litre Throttle Body Injection, right?

I would use a pair of wire probes and a volt meter (or a test light) to test the voltage on the fuel injector circuit. It's easy to just probe the fuel injector connector with a pair of wires, and see if the fuel injector is recieving pulse signals from the engine computer.

I even made an LED test light (cost me a few bucks at Radio Shack) that would pulse whenever it got a signal from the computer. It would flicker at an idle, and then increase in frequency and intensity as I gave it more throttle.

The more expensive (but much easier) method to figure out what's wrong would be to get a automotive scan tool that can monitor the fuel injector reference pulses.

Also, check the voltage on the other sensors on the throttle body (Throttle Position Sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor, etc ... ). I have the factory service manual, and I can look up the proper voltages for these circuits if you need me to.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction!

~ Tony
Xavier21

Post by Xavier21 »

Thankyou tony yes its the 1.6. I used an led light to test the injector it pulses rapidly as i crank the engine. If you can send me any info from the service manual that would be great just private me on here