HELP 1.6 lemans

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Xavier21

HELP 1.6 lemans

Post by Xavier21 »

My lemans is not getting fuel to the engine could it be the fuel pump itself or just the relay? I have to pour gas into the injector for it the even run for a second..also the engine wont crank unless i hold the clutch in why is that?
buddha102
Expert

Re: HELP 1.6 lemans

Post by buddha102 »

yea sounds like fuel pump (clug lines?)

lol u always use clutch to start the car up

look on web for testing fuel pump if they are good or bad
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The clutch thing is normal, the purpose of that is so that you don't accidentally start it in gear.

As for the fuel, it could be your fuel filter, single throttle body injector or your fuel pump.

I don't remember exactly but I think the TBI injectors in your Lemans run at 30psi.

The first thing you should do is replace your fuel filter..... that is the No1 possible cause of no fuel.

Next I would check the fuel pressure.... if it's around 30psi then you fuel pump is fine.

You should be able to pick up a spare pump and injector for pretty cheap at the local scrap yard.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You need to check the fuel pressure and flow.... it could be your fuel pump.

Perhaps consider buying a cheap aftermarket fuel pressure gauge.... you cut your line in a spot where you will be able to see the gauge.. push the barbed ends into the fuel line and clamp them.

Then when you start your car you will be able to monitor the fuel pressure

Alternatively your ECU may be dead and the engine is not firing the injector.

I can't remember how that engine pick's up the firing signal..... I don't remember a reluctor wheel.

Perhaps its from the distributor.... hmmm.... I'm drawing a blank right now.

I'm leaving for Ottawa area tommorow and won't be back for a week.

Once I get back I will try and dig up some info for you.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

You will hear your fuel pump prime the system for the 2 seconds when you first turn the ignition key on - just carefully listen for it, or have someone do that for you from the outside of the vehicle.

If you do have the prime pulse, but the engine does not get fuel when cranking, your ignition module is damaged. ECU will not engage fuel pump unless it sees the engine being cranked.

If you do not get the prime pulse, check for voltage at the fuel pump plug (beneath rear seat) with a multi meter. If you get the prime voltage your fuel pump is shot. If you do not get the prime voltage, most likely the fuel pump relay is damaged or fuse blown. ECU on these cars is very hard to damage.

Hope this helps.