c20get engine swap into Lemans question

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Davinci_360

c20get engine swap into Lemans question

Post by Davinci_360 »

Well, guys, I am now the proud owner of a '90 Sunbird LE turbo convertible. The engine runs good, turbo spools, and with a little tune-up it should run great! I plan on swapping the engine into my '89 Lemans, and I just wanted to make sure I'm not getting myself in over my head with this project. I've done quite a bit of research and learned a lot (thanks to this forum!), but I still have a couple questions:

1) Is the ignition system from the '89 Lemans compatible with the c20get? My initial guess would be "yes", considering that they are both similiar distributor systems, but it's just a guess . . .

2) Do I need to use the radiator from the Sunbird to keep that beast of an engine cool? Also, I believe I read somewhere that the radiator needs relocating - is that true?

You know, I really can't thank you guys enough for keeping this forum up - It has helped me immensely! A lot of people have told me I'm wasting my time with all of this Daewoo stuff, and that I should just buy a Honda/Acura, but now my dream is starting to come together - I can't wait to show them what a Daewoo can do by turning my Lemans into a street rocket!
Davinci_360

anyone gonna respond...?

Post by Davinci_360 »

Maybe I should clarify - I was just wondering:

Will the ignition system from the Lemans (HEI, EST, and misc. other wiring) plug into the distributor on a c20get and work?

Or will the c20get ECU need the ignition setup/wiring out of the Sunbird?

Basically, how much of the Lemans wiring can I use, if any?

Any help with this would be great ...
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Re: c20get engine swap into Lemans question

Post by GsiTurbo »

Since I have done this conversion in the past, here it is, for starters.

The actual ignition setup between your Lemans and Sunbird is identical, however you will not be able to use your existing ECU or wiring. Yes, the factory Lemans harness and ECU need to go and be replaced with the corresponding part off Sunbird. Do get complete harness of C20GET. Same with the ECU. The good news is that about 60% of the wires in the C20GET harness will go bye bye, as it is used for other items (heater control, wipers, headlamps etc) - Lemans has separate harnesses for that. The only difficult, somewhat, part is wiring it to the existing Lemans harness - you are actually looking at handful of wires in essence. The part that you will need to trace is the round connector behind your glove box. I will try to dig out and scan Lemans' wiring diagrams in the next few days, if I can find them, and post them here. For now, Sunbird harness.

Cheers,
Tom

http://www3.telus.net/GsiTurbo/Pics/Eng ... E_wire.jpg

Post by Davinci_360 »

Don't trouble yourself for the wiring diagrams for the Lemans. I have the factory service manual for the '89 Lemans, and it has everything there that I need (i think). I don't have anything related to the Sunbird though.

I'll look for that round connector when I get the chance - Thanks for your help!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have a complete 87 Sunbird paper manual.... I bought an 87 Sunbird GT Turbo for $1000 then I was going to transplant that engine into my Lanos... but in the end I managed to buy a Lemans from a guy that had already done the C20GET swap.

So I don't think I really need the manual any more if you want to buy it from me... PM me if interested.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos