checking valve clearance

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jnsummer

checking valve clearance

Post by jnsummer »

i was wondering what the valve clearance specs are?

is this something that is normally checked when the car is serviced?

is it something i can do at home, if so what are the steps. thanks.

jamie
Daniel
Expert

Re: checking valve clearance

Post by Daniel »

That depends of vehicle/engine model. Some are self adjusting, some no.

Daniel
jnsummer

Post by jnsummer »

i have a '98 lanos, 1.5, 8 valve. it's nearing 100k and the timing belt check is too expensive. i've been quoted $600-$800. i was thinking of getting rid of the car because of the expense.
however, if i can do it myself i will give it a go. i've read a few threads on the topic and the large 42mm crankshaft nut sounds like the most tricky part.

the engine would definitely be staying in the car. any thoughts on that?
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

With the "standard" set of tools, timing belt/tensioner/water pump is something you can do in about 4-5hrs, without harrying up at all. I would also do the thermostat at the same time. Its all very much straight forward if you follow the manual. I did it last summer without any special tools.

Post by Daniel »

If it's 600AUD for a timing belt job including tensioner and water pump that's a good price.
The 42mm "special" wrench is used to adjust belt tension by rotating the water pump. You can also use a channellock pliers.
The 17mm crankshaft screw is (very) hard to remove by hand. A impact wrench is a plus but it can be done without ;) .

If in doubt, ask.

Daniel

Edit: BTW your engine has self adjusting valve clearance.
nubira88

Post by nubira88 »

Hey there a timing belt job on a 8 valve single overhead cam engine is fail safe even if you line the timing marks up wrong you can always do it again after trying to start the vehicle. i suggest you take off the plastic under gaurd trimmings and drive her to a local garage take the wheel off yourself and get them to break the centre nut free. the local garage near me seid he would have done this for me but i got it off with other means deffinitley need a long breaker bar and qaulity socket to break this sucker. $600 aud is a lot of money and i suggest you do it yourself and save cash reuse your water pump its a single over head cam its not going to hurt if it goes if it ever goes. im pretty sure it has no idlers so youve made a saving there. infact you shouldnt even worry about it take the plastic covers off and check to see if the timing belt has all off its teeth by hand turning it an no unusual wearing on the belt. after all if it goes somwhere down the track your engine will still be in perfect order minus a t belt. these belts are around $25 dollars singley. and it is an easy job good luck mate
broken

Post by broken »

nubira88 wrote: reuse your water pump its a single over head cam its not going to hurt if it goes if it ever goes. im pretty sure it has no idlers so youve made a saving there. infact you shouldnt even worry about it take the plastic covers off and check to see if the timing belt has all off its teeth by hand turning it an no unusual wearing on the belt. after all if it goes somwhere down the track your engine will still be in perfect order minus a t belt. these belts are around $25 dollars singley. and it is an easy job good luck mate

Doesnt a SOHC 1.5 8 valve engine get any damage done if a water pump or timing belt breaks?

PS> I just had a timing belt and tensioner and 2 other belts changed on my 1.5 SOHC lanos, it cost me $490 aussie dollars.
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

broken wrote: Doesnt a SOHC 1.5 8 valve engine get any damage done if a water pump or timing belt breaks?
yes any Engine can be damage if the timing belt goes, if the water pumps goes your engine run the risk of overheating and possibly being destroyed..

it is advise to replace them both if one goes. as the waterpump plays a key role in tensioning the the timing belt.
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

broken

Post by broken »

Thankyou Big Jeff, I should of been more accurate, Ive always read and been told how important it is to change Timing belt, water pump and tensioner as if they breake while driving, major damage can occur(ie) bent velves... Now what im hopeing can be answered is this damage (bent valves) done to a SOHC 8 valve 1.5 Daewoo lanos engine as it will with the DOHC 16 valve engines or does this damage (bent valves) happen to both engines. Thankyou :)
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

broken wrote:Thankyou Big Jeff, I should of been more accurate, Ive always read and been told how important it is to change Timing belt, water pump and tensioner as if they breake while driving, major damage can occur(ie) bent velves... Now what im hopeing can be answered is this damage (bent valves) done to a SOHC 8 valve 1.5 Daewoo lanos engine as it will with the DOHC 16 valve engines or does this damage (bent valves) happen to both engines. Thankyou :)

yes ALL engines can suffer from bent valves when the timing belt snaps, the only diffences is the amount of valve you might need to change, listen for back firing, and do a compression test
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

nubira88

Post by nubira88 »

No a 1.5 single overhead cam will NOT damage the valves when the timing belt breaks verry good engines i have broken tbelt on this motor before and recently on my sisters 1.8 nissan pulsar wich has the sohc famII engine
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

nubira88 wrote:No a 1.5 single overhead cam will NOT damage the valves when the timing belt breaks
I agree with nubira88. 1.5 SOHC is a non-interfering motor, hence broken timing belt = no bent valves.

Post by broken »

GsiTurbo wrote:
nubira88 wrote:No a 1.5 single overhead cam will NOT damage the valves when the timing belt breaks
I agree with nubira88. 1.5 SOHC is a non-interfering motor, hence broken timing belt = no bent valves.
That in its self is almost enough to make you want to get a 1.5 SOHC over a 16 valve DOHC 1.6 engine.. Unles the extra power of a 1.6 is a lot more.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have to disagree with you guys... it all comes down to the compression ratio

the lanos got a 1.5 SOHC engine with compression ratio 9.5:1 and that is an interference engine that will bend its valves once the timing belt snaps

on the other hand the racer got a 1.5 SOHC with a 8.5:1 compression ratio and it WILL NOT bend its valves if the timing belt snaps

i had this debate with tango some 4 years ago and we reached the conclusion that the compression ratio is a major factor here.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

MMamdouh wrote:i have to disagree with you guys... it all comes down to the compression ratio

the lanos got a 1.5 SOHC engine with compression ratio 9.5:1 and that is an interference engine that will bend its valves once the timing belt snaps

on the other hand the racer got a 1.5 SOHC with a 8.5:1 compression ratio and it WILL NOT bend its valves if the timing belt snaps

i had this debate with tango some 4 years ago and we reached the conclusion that the compression ratio is a major factor here.

MMamdouh
i would have to agree with this
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,