Need Help, Lanos Sport PWR Light Flashing???

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

flat6

Need Help, Lanos Sport PWR Light Flashing???

Post by flat6 »

Hi all,

I just recently bought a 2000 Lanos Sport 1.6 (auto) and due to recent hot weather ive started noticing a highly annoying problem

When i turn the car on, at random occasions the PWR light (and sometimes the check engine light) flash on random on my display, this causes gear changes to be extremely clunky and keeps the car in lower gears before clunking to the next.

I took it to an auto elect and he said there was multiple fault codes in the ecu and just reset it, (prob was fine untill i disconnected the battery a few days ago)

I found, to fix the problem i either turn the car off, wait a few moments then turn it back on or open the hood and wriggle a few wires near the intake manifold which mysteriously cause the problem to go away and re-occur another time, ill take a photo of these wires and post them soon :)

When this light does not flash the car is perfectly fine and drives normally

If anyone could shed some light on this problem id be wrapped :)

Cheers
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

shifting hard could be the tps...throttle position sensor...I've seen a couple cars that needed the wires just before the sensor replaced because the heat had ruined them...it happened to me. get me that pic and I'll show you the wires I replaced and you can see if it fixes your problem...you could also take the tps to a parts store and have them test it. if it works and one of the codes stored is for the tps then most likely the wires are bad.

Jimmy
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the reply, attached are a few photos i took after removing the intake pipe, its one of these cables as i noticed wriggling all of them does something

Cheers
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

a friend of mine had a similar problem for several weeks in his astra... check that all your fuses and relays related to the gearbox etc is still in good shape. the problem he had was that somehow a penny got lodged in the cig lighter, shorted it, blew a few fuses including a major one which controls some part of the auto gearbox and made it stick in 3rd gear.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

in the pic I circled the tps and the wires I had to replace on my car...just make sure to leave plenty of room if that is the problem and you cut the wires cause you need enough wire to solder the plug back on the wires. If you need a better explanation let me know.

Jimmy
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Thanks Jimmy, Sorry for the late reply, have been working crazy hrs

I'll give it a shot and see how i go, she's been good lately but i know its only a matter of time till it does it again

Will update you on the progress

Cheers :)
flat6

Re: Need Help, Lanos Sport PWR Light Flashing???

Post by flat6 »

Hi all, sorry for such a late reply, have been flat out with work

Had a look around, in the second pic you'll notice a wire completely wrapped in electrical tape, i unraviled it completely and noticed that it was 3 wires that had been soldered and heat shrinked, the heat shrink looked a little dodgy as if it had melted and the wires may have been shorting, wrapped them up in fresh electrical tape and the issue has only occured once in the last 3 months on a 45 degree day. other than that i do nearly 100k's in the car every day and not a problem so far :)
flat6

Re: Need Help, Lanos Sport PWR Light Flashing???

Post by flat6 »

Just an update for any1 else who gets this issue, you guys were spot on, was a dodgy tps sensor throwin the car into limp mode when ever the engine got hot.

Got it replaced, problem solved

Cheers n thx :)