Block Preparation TB/Cyl Head Re-Install

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nick

Block Preparation TB/Cyl Head Re-Install

Post by Nick »

I've taken the time to read through as much as I can regarding the repair of timing belt failures on Daewoos, particularly the Lanos. I have a 2000, 1.6L that I'm working on right now, however I have not seen any mention of what anyone has done to prepare the sealing surface of the engine block prior to re-assembly during a cylinder head removal/re-install. I replaced a head gasket another vehicle of mine once, and it actually called for: 1. sealing of the oil/coolant passages and head bolt bores, light sanding and polishing of the block surface, followed by lapping the block w/a special tool to achieve a mirror finish prior to reassembly.

What are you fellow Daewoo owners doing to prepare your engine block for reassembly in order to achive a nice smooth sealing surface on the engine block????
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

sanding the block in my opinion would be a bad idea. there is no way that you could stop metal shaveings from getting into the cylinders and once they are in there you cant get them out. they would cause the cylinder walls to get messed up and you could damage the pistons and the cylinder its self. ive never done a head gasket on a woo yet, but im sure it would be like the other cars ive worded on. make sure the block surface is clean. use a putty knife to scrape any of the old gasket off that might be stuck to the block. once the gasket is completely removed just us a solvent (lacquer thinner, acetone, ect) to remove any oil or grease. if the surface looks clean, go ahead and set the head on. make sure you have new head bolts.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Can't really add anything else on what mofo's said, I've seen people using really fine grit wetndry, like, 2000 or above, wet, on the block. But personally I'd use as mofo siad, some sort of putty knife or something less dense than the block so you don't scrape it, some plastic scraper or something. Make sure there's no thinners or anything left on the block before you wang the head gasket on.
SAZ
---------------------
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the quick replies... I got out there today and cleaned it up, looks like it will be good to go. I have some acetone left over from doing paint prep on another vehicle, and I got some new head bolts as well. Funny story on that, the Daewoo dealer here in Albuquerque, Melloy Suzuki, actually advised me to re-use the old bolts. Good thing I looked into it first because every other source has indicated otherwise.

Thanks again. I'll update once I have it back together.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

The headbolts stretch, I'd never re-use an old set. Think about it, they're constantly fighting against the combustion in the chambers and are constantly heating up and cooling down. Unless they're ARPs or something, I'd never use them again once they're out lol
SAZ
---------------------