My 2000 Lanos's hesitation/jerking/other problems [FIXED]

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JohnnyC
Expert

My 2000 Lanos's hesitation/jerking/other problems [FIXED]

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... here's a breakdown of the problems with my woo. Perhaps some of you may have a suggestion or two for me as to what I can do to fix the problems.

1. The car starts fine, but the more pull I put on the electrical system (lights, rear defogger, wipers, that kind of thing) the lights will dim slightly and the engine feels as though it is idling a little less solidly.

2. From starting it is alright most of the time as long as I don't give it more than just a little bit of throttle. If I push hard on the gas, it seems to hesitate for a moment, then suddenly jerk into what feels like a normal amount of acceleration for a moment, then hesitate again. It will do this mostly in the lower RPMs, but if I pretty the throttle hard at any time, it will hesitate and jerk.

As for the CEL, I haven't been able to check it recently, but it's been doing the hesitation thing it with no CEL on unless I've driven it on the highway at speeds of 70mph +, in which it tells me I have a misfire on cylinder 1, but up until now it has driven just fine. (nope... still haven't solved that problem.)

So... please, this is our daily driver and we don't have a spare car. If it dies on us right now, it will seriously impact our lives. If you have any ideas on what I could do to fix or diagnose the problem, please let me know. :)

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have to diagnose it too.
Last edited by JohnnyC on Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'd say "turbo it" to get rid of the hesitation but that's probably not very constructive.

There could be a billion things wrong...... sounds like fuel or spark... but it could also be an O2 problem.

You definitly need to get the code from any CEL..... at least it would give a hint as to what's going on.

If you floor it (full throttle) does it run good or does it hesitate?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:If you floor it (full throttle) does it run good or does it hesitate?
I haven't tried flooring it to see what it does. I will check tomorrow and see what happens.

Can't check any current fault codes until the auto parts place opens back up (probably tomorrow).
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Okay... further testing...

Spark plugs seem fine. Different set of ignition wires produce the same result. Currently no CEL (after idle learn process) from unplugging the battery... but... it wasn't throwing any CEL's while the stuttering problem was happening anyway.

I added more Fuel Injector Cleaner into the tank today and after driving it, I noticed a sulfur like smell coming from the exhaust. From what I understand, bucking and hesitation is a sign of a clogged catalytic converter and so is a sulfur smell from the tailpipe. I wonder if this is the root of my current problem (a mostly clogged but not completely clogged CAT?

Full throttle results in an engine that feels like it's stuttering quickly, but continuing to cycle. It doesn't feel quite as 'hesitant' when I go full throttle in the same way it does at a lesser amount of throttle, but it isn't accelerating any quicker to speak of either.

One person suggested the idea that my catalytic converter is clogged up and may need to be replaced.

I also noted a sound coming from the timing belt side of the engine. It's kinda hard to describe, but it almost sounds like a kind of rubbing or almost squeaking (but not quite a squeak) coming from that area. Couldn't tell what it was exactly.

So... that's where it currently is at... I would definitely appreciate any more insights as to what I should check/try next in order to fix this problem.
lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

1. it could be the voltage regulator, i don't know where it would be but that could be a suspect, and /or a loose ground from where you fixed the position of the tranny, and a ground could have been pulled a lot.thats all i can think of on point #1 .

Point #2, it sounds like llike clogged injectors ,see if you can swap used injectors out or SEAFOAM IT!! -intake and all. clean all electronic parts and contacts, get someone like daewoomofo, to play the swap game with you when you are both not busy, take lets say for example coil pack off and switch and see if its better. , and that goes the same with sensors.and injectors.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

It barely seemed to want to limp home tonight. The problem is quickly becoming worse.

As it stands, I really only feel comfortable (and not even that) driving it to someplace to get it's CEL checked (which happened at 32mph tonight). The jerking/hesitation/etc is much worse.

So... Hopefully I can find out what's wrong with it tomorrow.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i wonder if it could be the EGR valve or some thing like that

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

oopps replied on wrong thread

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

Did you swap the injectors yet Johnny?
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Audacityracing wrote:Did you swap the injectors yet Johnny?
Not yet. Haven't had the chance with the christmas stuff going on. I'm heading to the auto parts store in a few minutes to have the CEL checked.
JohnnyC
Expert

Post by JohnnyC »

Took it down to Autozone today and got the CEL checked. Misfire Cylinder 4.

Took another look at the ignition wires and as it turns out, both sets had an arc going to the engine block... leading to the misfire and the hard jerking action.

I mixed and matched the ignition wires and insulated them with some electrical tape until I can get an entirely new set installed. Engine is running smooth again and everything seems alright.

Man... that had me seriously worried. I didn't realize that both sets of ignition wires that I had were cracked/arcing. Either way. It's running now and I'm feeling better about things.

Thanks for the input I got from you guys. :)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you want a GOOD set of wires, go to murrays auto parts and get a set of the Accell wires that you cut to leingth, the sets run about $45, but thats for 2 sets since the kit so for a v8. you will have to bend the connectors on the ciol back side of the wire to clip on the oem coilpack, and you will have to use the oem boots on the coilpack side. i did that and they work great, i love them!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!