UzDaewoo will stop

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BR

UzDaewoo will stop

Post by BR »

Hyundai talks for stake in UzDaewoo plant

Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top auto maker, is in talks with Uzbekistan to buy a stake in a former Daewoo Motor factory in the central Asian state, Korean newspaper the JoongAng Ilbo reported on Friday quoting Hyundai official.

As earlier reported, an Uzbek industry official said the country had bought the 50% stake held by Daewoo in their joint venture but had yet to decide if it would seek a new foreign partner.

"There have been negotiations with Uzbekistan on the plant, but nothing has been decided, and it is unclear if the talks would succeed," a Hyundai official said on Friday.

Analysts have said overseas production is crucial for Hyundai as a rising won currency dents profits earned abroad, the newspaper said.

In 1996, the venture, UzDaewoo Auto, launched the conveyor assembly of Daewoo cars at a plant located in Asaka in Uzbekistan's eastern Andijan region.

The plant, with a capacity of 200,000 cars a year, was estimated to be worth US$650 million and its charter capital was worth around US$200 million.

The JoongAng Ilbo, reported on Friday that Hyundai said it was in talks with Uzbekistan and that it aimed to complete negotiations within this year, with a plan to expand the factory's capacity to 300,000 vehicles per year.

If labour issues are resolved, the factory could produce small cars such as the Verna and the Click, an unidentified Hyundai official told the paper......

Taken here
http://business.uzreport.com/mir.cgi?lan=e&id=20247

Rather sad news :? .......It seems, Uzbeks will stop Daewoo cars producing..... And we'll never buy a new Nexia :cry:
Daewoo Nexia GLE 1997
norman
Junior

Post by norman »

moin,

i find maybe something new. it looks like, we can buy a new nexia...the nexia 2 (N150). i don´t understand a lot of this text, but i believe, they don´t want to burn 17.000.000 $. these are the development costs, so they have to build the car. N150 :)

tschau norman