Doesn't this kinda suck?

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Aneab
Expert

Doesn't this kinda suck?

Post by Aneab »

Loop speeders can't say they weren't warned
Photo enforcement to begin

Carol Sowers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 21, 2006 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE

Speedsters on Loop 101 cannot say they have not been warned to slow down.

Scottsdale has spent more than $136,000 on brochures, radio spots, freeway information signs and public meetings warning drivers that the digital cameras will monitor their speed.

Beginning 12:01 a.m. Sunday, sensors embedded on a 7.8-mile stretch of the freeway will begin measuring speeds, and drivers going 76 mph or faster will have cameras snap pictures of their face and license plate. Speeders will be issued warnings - for now.

On Feb. 21, the grace period ends. Lead-footed drivers going 11 mph over the posted limit of 65 mph will be issued citations averaging $157.

"Our hope is that everybody has the word and that it is no surprise when the cameras go live early Sunday morning," said Mike Phillips, a Scottsdale spokesman.

The photo enforcement system won't replace Arizona Department of Public Safety officers, who also patrol the freeway.

The cameras "are another tool," Phillips said.

Scottsdale is the only city in the country with fixed photo enforcement cameras on a state freeway.

Concerned about high speeds and a rising number of accidents, city officials got permission in December from the state to install the cameras for nine months. Data will be collected to see if the cameras have any impact on driving habits
I know i'm not excited about that... :-/ i used to travel 80MPH down that freeway to get to my mom's house in South Phoenix... It takes me half an hour now... it will take me close to 10 minutes more or so depending on traffic now cuz i'm not setting my cruise control for 76, don't want to chance that my speedometer is off and get a ticket :( Oh well I guess that's the penalty for speeding **sigh** 10 minutes isn't that big of a deal though, i can make up for that lost time farther down the road after the camera's end =D but i probably wont care that much to do that...

~kyle
a woo that is a work in progress
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

ya that is just the scottsdale section, just take the 202 loop. :)
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

about 10 years back there was no highway spead limits in Montana... to many people died so now its like everyweres else 75mph. but i drove 400 miles last weekend and didnt see a single cop. mean while the whole time i was doing 90
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

What they didnt tell you about it is they have serveral speed cameras set up so that if you speed along those 8 miles w/o warning you just got enough different tickets to give you enough points to have you license suspended :wink:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i thoght the courts ruled that the cameras wernt admisable to give a ticket. that the cop has to actually see, and clock you speeding for you to be given a ticket?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
DaewoLeganza
banned

Post by DaewoLeganza »

BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

i heard that it doesnt actually work that well, but also as somone wrote above, the camera takes a picture of your face as well, so if the camera goes off and ur license plate doesnt come out, you can get into even more trouble if u get caught. (My step mum is a police officer and she told me all about it when i asked)

Here is somthing she told me:

A 18 yr old guy was driving his mums car without a license as he was learning, and his mum was inthe passenger seat. A speed camera took picture cos he was going over the limit and the mother said that it was her, so that she gets points on her own license, not her sons. The police then found out that it was the son driving, and both the sun and daughter were sentenced to jail.

Thats what i was told so hope it helps :p
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

WooHoo wrote:about 10 years back there was no highway spead limits in Montana... to many people died so now its like everyweres else 75mph. but i drove 400 miles last weekend and didnt see a single cop. mean while the whole time i was doing 90
I thought your speed limits were just sugested speeds ....... most of the time I was driving around 100mph :shock:
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

Erfinder@PrecisionBoost wrote:
WooHoo wrote:about 10 years back there was no highway spead limits in Montana... to many people died so now its like everyweres else 75mph. but i drove 400 miles last weekend and didnt see a single cop. mean while the whole time i was doing 90
I thought your speed limits were just sugested speeds ....... most of the time I was driving around 100mph :shock:
:shock:
a woo that is a work in progress
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

Erfinder@PrecisionBoost wrote:
yeah they are sugested..... :wink: just slow down for those white and black cars with the red and blue light bars :lol:

i dont know about everywhere else but here they can make you pay a speeding ticket right then and there.. :shock: where they pulled you over... doesnt seem right to me
whiptastic_nubira

Post by whiptastic_nubira »

around here the police dont have the cherry's ontop. most of the time when you see someone pulled over, its by a undercover.
TxDAEWOOxT
Expert

Post by TxDAEWOOxT »

in houston they have cameras at all major intersections and cross road to make sure that people dont run red lights. They say that they are putting them there to cut down on the number of accidents.

the number of accidents have almost doubled since they have installed the cameras. most people are getting hit because they have to slam on their brakes sliding through the intersection because they are worried about getting a $200 ticket.

if they are going to patrol each intersections with digital cameras and now the interstates what do we need police on the road for. that is just a waste of our tax dollars.if the police are to lazy to sit a the intersection and pull people over and give them tickets then they need to stop taking my money from me.

those cameras should pay for themselves in a year or so we need to see a little break on our taxes in the coming years(yeah right)if we dont need to pay for those officers in patrol cars.
2001 Lanos 1.6
--1.25 Eibach Pro kit
--2 1/4 Pro 1 catback
--custom intake (short ram)
--port and polished head
--port and polished TB
--port and polished intake manifold
--Kenwood head
--Pioneer noise
http://www.myspace.com/txhtownxt
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

They tried that in Cincinati, they ruled it illeagal. A cop has to radar you by radar or helicopter here. Photo tickets are illeagal in Ohio.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!