New Camaro 30 MPG 400HP

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Brian5475E
Expert

New Camaro 30 MPG 400HP

Post by Brian5475E »

Yes you saw it right. I was reading that Chevy is pumping out 400 HP with a 6L and getting 30MPG due to cylinder deactivation technology. If this is true then I'm gonna have to buy one of these
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

that's kinda a lie though... it's not both at teh same time...

it's 4cl 30mpg at 150hp, or 8cl 10mpg at 400hp :roll:

plus i think it's kinda ugly :P
Brian5475E
Expert

Re: New Camaro 30 MPG 400HP

Post by Brian5475E »

Brian5475E wrote: due to cylinder deactivation technology.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Audacity Racing
moron

yeah... that's exactly what i just put up there
delphis
Expert

Post by delphis »

the front end is very ugly, but other than that I like the general body styling and the layout of the flares and everything.
1989 240sx fastback with SR20DE
04aveohb
Junior

Post by 04aveohb »

I like the look of the whole car, if you can get an interio shot, ive seen it before..its so nice.
2004 Chevy Aveo LS Hatchback
-SRI
-15" Konig Theory's
Audacity Racing
moron

Audacity Racing
moron

that's the new gto concept to try and put the gto in the same retro-future catagory as the camaro, mustang, charger, challenger, etc :roll:
bluesheepbrian
Expert

Post by bluesheepbrian »

I also think the Camaro is ugly, it looks like it has a stupid grin on its face.
2002 Daewoo Lanos HB
www.evo-imports.com
www.myspace.com/bluesheepbrian
"Beating a Honda is like banging a fat chick. Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?"
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Personally i dont like any of these cars.. huge engine.. weights tons.. blah. I think its the new camaro (unsure though) thats supposed to weight some 4400#.. i dont see how it could get 30mpg with 4cyc. Hell i dont even know how it can drive with only 150hp. Thats like me loading my car up with 10 friends and trying to drive around all day
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Audacity Racing
moron

see... that's the thing that's a joke about these engines with cylinder dropping...

they only drop the cylinder when they can, like... when you're going 70 on the interstate. as soon as you press the gas again, it totally loses it's fuel economy, and the only time it uses the 4cl mode is when it can propel itself easily (cruising on the interstate). :roll:
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

I like it very much but I would get the 8cyl.
T18SED Engine.

Joso
Super

Post by Joso »

So is it really supossed to run on four cilinders and move the others without combustion and still save gas? Wouldnt it be a lot better to use variable valve timing/lift?

I think that if you are going to buy a 400 hp car you better know what you are getting... I mean, if you want to save gas, buy a diesel. It doesn't make sense to me.
camaroguy

Post by camaroguy »

Audacityracing wrote:see... that's the thing that's a joke about these engines with cylinder dropping...

they only drop the cylinder when they can, like... when you're going 70 on the interstate. as soon as you press the gas again, it totally loses it's fuel economy, and the only time it uses the 4cl mode is when it can propel itself easily (cruising on the interstate). :roll:
not true. i test drove a impala SS and even around town it works.

most LS1 owners get 30+mpg on the highway as is.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Although in general cylinder dropping helps these inefficent V8's get slightly more gas mileage it all comes down to physics.

Around town fuel economy is directly proportional to the weight of the car multiplied by the acceleration.

For those who know physics... Force = mass X acceleration

So if your driving a 6000 lb SUV and you acclerate at exactly the same rate as a 2000lb Lanos.... the lanos will get three times better gas mileage.

Now... if you floor your lanos and accelerate exactly three times faster than the 6000lb SUV the net result is exactly the same gas mileage between the two vehicles.

So really it doesn't matter if the Camaro is running on 4 cyl or 8 cyl it all depends on how fast you accelerate your car.

Having said that...... consider that most gasoline engines are at most 35% efficent.... so only 35% of the energy in gasoline is converted to mechanical motion.... the rest gets converted into heat.

As well there is a fair amount of force used in compressing the air/fuel mixture during a compression stroke.

So.... if your not burning fuel in one or more cylinders your making the engine more efficent overall.... and if you valves stay open during the compression stroke your engine efficency will also rise.

So.... by shutting off two or four cylinders it does make the car more efficent... but not as efficent if one had thrown a 4 cylinder in there in the first place.

As a side note....... this kind of stuff is applicable to turbo cars.

If a 2.0L is boosting at 15 psi it's actually pushing nearly 4.0L worth of air/fuel into the 2.0L engine.

So.... if your running 15psi of boost all the time (lead foot) your going to get half the mileage of an identical 2.0L naturally aspirated vehicle.

Now..... I know some of you are getting sleepy.... so I will try to finish off quickly.

On the highway the primary forces are wind resistance and rolling resistance..... so the aerodynamics of your vehicle play a part in your fuel efficency.

Got a quadroople winged spoiler three feet tall and five feet wide???? Guess what... your killing your gas mileage at highway speeds.

Wind resistance forces are not linear..... it takes way more horsepower to cruize at 80mph than it does at 60mph.

Net result.... going fast decreases fuel mileage.

Rolling resistance is related to tire friction and drivetrain friction..... the faster you go... the faster the transmission gears churn through the fluids inside the tranny.

There isn't much that can be done about transmissions..... perhaps certain addatives might help make the gears slip through the oil better ( Lucas makes a decent tranny addative for that )

As for tires.... every tire will have a different rolling resistance.... honda uses special tires on their hybrids to help increase fuel mileage.

Odds are nice sticky soft ultra performance summer tires are going to give you worse gas mileage than some hard all season radials.

So if your concerned about mileage put your performance summer tires on a set of cheap rims and get some hard as rock all season radials.

That way you can enjoy the summer tires cruizing around and enjoy good gas mileage on long trips such as vacation or long commutes to work.

Most people think it's a hassle but if you do it enough it should only take you 5 minutes to swap your tires over.

So........ getting back to the camaro..... yes it's a great idea but when it comes right down to it..... gas mileage allways depends on the weight of your vehicle and how hard you accelerate.

To me it's just a gimmic to make people feel better about buying big ass SUV's and other V8 based production vehicles....... this isn't the first time variable displacement engine have been used..... Cadillac had one way back in the oil crisis in the late 70's early 80's
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos