Korean Daewoo workers protest GM take over

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
see now that what makes me proud of being korean. :cry:
go get 'em guy, get 'em

:lol:
nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

On the right side of that photo, one of the signs being held up says "Anti USA" with a red X over the US flag and under it says "No GM"
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

On the right side of that photo, one of the signs being held up says "Anti USA" with a red X over the US flag and under it says "No GM"
it does? hold on let me look...........well besides that part then. didn't notice that. :D

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:roll: Ummmmm.... Daewoo's are made on a GM chassis with GM engines, GM suspension, GM transmissions, GM Brake system, GM Engine management..... so..... how is it a Daewoo??

If GM wasn't involved there might not have been a Daewoo Lanos, Nubira or Leganza.

Perhaps this might piss a few people off but really..... the Daewoo plant was just another "assembly point" for a GM vehicle sporting a body designed by an Italian design company.

I don't know why they would say "Anti USA" since GM is an international company and GM north america has absolutely zero involvement with Daewoo..... it's actually Holden that owns the majority of GMDAT.... which makes sense because the engine is made in Australia in the Holden engine plant at Port Melbourne, Victoria.

Here is the statistics for this plant....

2004 Engine volumes:

Family II four cylinder: 143,897
ECOTEC V6: 57,341
Global V6: 55,999

2004 Average Daily Engine Production

Family II and V6: 1136
2004 Exports
Total Engines 147,029
flat6

Post by flat6 »

Erfinder wrote: it's actually Holden that owns the majority of GMDAT.... which makes sense because the engine is made in Australia in the Holden engine plant at Port Melbourne, Victoria.

Here is the statistics for this plant....

2004 Engine volumes:

Family II four cylinder: 143,897
ECOTEC V6: 57,341
Global V6: 55,999

2004 Average Daily Engine Production

Family II and V6: 1136
2004 Exports
Total Engines 147,029
Yes, it makes me sick, I feel dirty every time I think my car is a holden :(

But yeh, daewoo or "daewong" in australia are fully operated by holden :(

Received the letter a few months back informing me to go to holden for spare parts :shock:
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't know why you would feel sick about the Familly II engines they seem to last for ever.... unless you forget about the timing belt.

I like to think of my car as an Opel product more than a Holden product but when it comes right down to it the parts for these engines are manufactured all around the world.... so Australia and Korea are really just "assembly points" for our Daewoo vehicles.

I heard that Holden killed Daewoo in Australia...... which I can understand.... they probably don't want the Daewoo's competing against their own brand for some reason.

Who knows.... they might follow GM north americas lead and simply change the names..... you might get a "Holden Optra" some time soon.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

actaully on the daewoo web site.. somewhere it has all the news from day to day and they are making daewoos for holden
nefary
Junior

GM killing Daewoo

Post by nefary »

I think that is the proplem where the daewoo made . all cars company have factories any many places (India , China , australia ,..........) and daewoo as a new car company must have a world designed car . I mean that it had to have exprience from Italy ( design) & GM for technecal. all new company also did that( ex.. seat, hyundai & the new chinees cars like cherry & jeely) .
I dont know what made the daewoo to have all this debt . but I think that daewoo would be a good company ( like KIA & Hyundai for example ) but it had bad luck

I realise now that GM will Kill daewoo forever . it will be a local car only like Holden as I think . GM will replace daewoo name in europe . & it is done here in the middle east by replacing the daewoo (lacetti, kalos , evanda) by chevrolet (optra , aveo ,epica)

In here (EGYPT) daewoo is a very famous car . & the last factory made woos is in here ( still produce Lanos 2 & Nubira2) . NOw chevrolet will introduce the chevy optra & aveo here - I think if this cars introduce as daewoo will meet sucess than a chevrolets

realy I dont know what is the policy of that . but it makes me sad because we will have no woos in the future :(