Had a scary crash... the aftermath

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Had a scary crash... the aftermath

Post by MMamdouh »

Hi guys... I have been away for some time during the past week and it was for a good reason... I crashed on last Saturday :(

yep... I was on my way back to work from 6 October city and at one particular curve I lost control and spun out of the road to hit a sand bank, I walked away with no scratch on me but the woo had some problems most of them are already sorted out as we speak.

before I begin to tell what happened I would like to thank God for sparing my life at that day as this is the closest I was to death also compared to what should have happened is such situations I?d say the woo survived with no damage as well.

no for the story... back from 6 October to Lebanon square and a few kms after Juhaina square their is this nasty left, down sloping turn and I was doing some 120 Km/h or so and I noticed a car in front of me and I wanted to overtake it on the left most lane.

Every one knows the rule that says "don't brake while turning and don't turn while braking"... right? I managed to do both mistakes in one move, as I started turning into the curve I tapped the brakes to slow down a bit before I go more into the inside of the curve to take over the car ahead of me... while the brakes are applied I turned to the left to be in the first lane from the left side.

No surprise the rear end of my car lost traction and the car over steered to the left... the front end was going right to the center divider, again as every one knows when you are over steering to use opposite lock to get the car back under control... I did turn the steering wheel to the right about 90 degrees but for some reason the car kept over steering.

I started to freak out and added even more opposite lock and suddenly the car swinged back to the right and started spinning on itself and I was sideways all over the road...I was facing the right side road rail at this moment and still spinning to the right, I didn't know what to do so I slammed the brakes and prayed to God. :shock: :shock: :shock:

the car skidded till it went off the tarmac and hit a sand bank... the sand covered the car and I saw nothing, after the car came to a halt I noticed the road was in front of me... last time I saw it I am sure it was behind me... no idea how did this happen.

I started the engine and went a few meters to the front to get the woo off the sand and I noticed it was not moving correctly... I went out and saw both front tires are flat; some damage to the front and rear bumpers and the rear left wheel is not looking aligned.

I called a friend that lives near by and he came with his car and took both my front tires for repairs... he called me afterwards saying both tires are not punctured... they just went flat because I went sideways at a very high speed and then locked the brakes so the friction was so strong that the tires came off the rim's lip and went flat :shock: when he got back he showed me the braking marks on the tires... it looked as if you had a blow torch and burned the contact patch that was on the road :shock: :shock:

After I put the tires on and drove the car it sounded funny... loads of wining from the back... I suspected the rear left tire even more as I saw the lip of the rim dented and the wheel cover broken. I stopped to check, I found nothing off but the wheel didn't look right... I thought maybe I was wrong and drove away.

the sound is still their and increases so much past 100 kms... as I parked the car at work I smelled something funny and I went to check the rear left wheel and it was all covered with black grease... I took the wheel cover off and the hub cap was off and the grease allover the place and the rim was hot as hell.

I got a rug and loads of water and started cooling the damn thing bit by bit... meanwhile I called my mechanic to come check the car. After the things cooled down I removed the center bolt and removed the entire hub out... the outer bearing seemed to have a broken part and I couldn't remove the inner one as I don't know how to do it.

when the mechanic came he suggested I replace the bearings for starters... we got a set for 45LE (7.75 USD) and put them on and I tested the car for a couple of days... the mechanic suspected a bent axle right away as the bearings didn't spin freely even with the center bolt not that tight... also after every drive the left wheel is hotter than the right and the wheel still looks off, I called the mechanic and he said its either a bent axle or a bent suspension member... we will start with the axle.

I got a new axle on Monday and got it installed... once the old one was off and put on a flat surface it was clear that it is bent... almost looks like the Pisa tower... the wheel was spinning very freely now and it looks as it used to be when the car was back on the ground... went for a test drive and go up to 100 km/h and put the car in neutral to hear any sounds... non whatsoever... the woo is back to its old self now. :D

Guys... be careful... speed is a thrill but it can kill and no matter how good driver you are... remember that shit happens.

Drive safely.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

damn dude glad to hear your woo is alright. oh and you too of course. :D your lucky you have sand banks there. pretty much anywhere else and you would've hit like a rock or something or nothing :shock: and flipped the car in a field. but seriously glad to hear your fine man.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Im so glad ive never been in an accident... yet. Ever in my whole life... tons of close calls.

For future refrence in a FWD car if your back ever brakes lose just slam on the gas and it wil take you out of just about any spin. Ive seen a focus almost 90degrees sides slam the gas and correct it.

Glad your o.k. man!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

lanos2001: i was lucky indeed... the only reason their was a sand bank is that they were doing some construction work at that area... +50- meters and i would have hit the outer curb, big ass lamp post or a big rock that would distroy the car... not to mention the possibility to flipping it over as well... thank God i am OK.

kinkyllama: i was told that as well but the thiung is things happened so fast that their was no time to think of what to do next... by the time i thought of hitting the brakes i was almost 100 degrees to the right and the front tires almost out of the tarmak... next thing i remeber is the car covered by sand then came to a halt.

maybe i should have slammed the throttle at the first oversteer an i think the reason the car kept oversteering is the engine braking... i clearly remember i just applied the foot brakes for a fraction of a second but i don't remeber hitting the throttle.

i guess the foot brake triggered the oversteer and the engine brake help keeping it in action... the evasive steering wheel action caused the acrobatic spin along with the high speed, bald tires and nature of the turn... i say i had this comming for sure and i had to be more considret.

MMamdouh

MMamdouh
bluesheepbrian
Expert

Post by bluesheepbrian »

lanos2001 wrote:damn dude glad to hear your woo is alright. oh and you too of course. :D your lucky you have sand banks there. pretty much anywhere else and you would've hit like a rock or something or nothing :shock: and flipped the car in a field. but seriously glad to hear your fine man.

nick

Definately glad too hear that you are alright, we kind of like seeing you around. :P Someone was looking out for you.
2002 Daewoo Lanos HB
www.evo-imports.com
www.myspace.com/bluesheepbrian
"Beating a Honda is like banging a fat chick. Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?"
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

yeah really... glad you're ok

we gotta have some poor sap to go around typing up all these how-to's on stuff :lol:
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Audacityracing wrote:we gotta have some poor sap to go around typing up all these how-to's on stuff :lol:
:lmao: ... the "just a few laughs" topic will suffer as well.

MMamdouh
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Yeah it does happen wayyy to fast. Especialy since your first reaction in a skid is to hit the brakes, not the gas.

I spun out on the track not to long ago from just having the car in gear slowing it down; no brakes. Started drifting pretty good around the corner before it got completly away
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
CHNDROSE
Junior

Post by CHNDROSE »

Glad to read that you are ok. With the brakes and the gas thing...unless it is something ingrained people will go back to that first immediate reaction. Just means you have not screwed up enough to have the right impulses in what should be an uncommon occurence. :) Plus that cruel Mistress, Physics, will do whatever she wants anyway, no matter what reactions we have. :wink:
Light without shadow is blindness.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thank you guys and girls for the concern... yesterday i noticed that i have this thing with my driving style... i always tad the brakes in the begining of curves... got to give away that habbit soon before it kills me.

MMamdouh
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

we all love you here! be carefull!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thank you man.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

going to get alignment tonight and check the rear suspension... wish me luck guys, i don't wanna end up replacing the rear suspension member :roll:

MMamdouh
Daew0Leganza
banned

Re: Had a scary crash... the aftermath

Post by Daew0Leganza »

mmamdouh wrote:Hi guys... I have been away for some time during the past week and it was for a good reason... I crashed on last Saturday :(

yep... I was on my way back to work from 6 October city and at one particular curve I lost control and spun out of the road to hit a sand bank, I walked away with no scratch on me but the woo had some problems most of them are already sorted out as we speak.

before I begin to tell what happened I would like to thank God for sparing my life at that day as this is the closest I was to death also compared to what should have happened is such situations I?d say the woo survived with no damage as well.

no for the story... back from 6 October to Lebanon square and a few kms after Juhaina square their is this nasty left, down sloping turn and I was doing some 120 Km/h or so and I noticed a car in front of me and I wanted to overtake it on the left most lane.

Every one knows the rule that says "don't brake while turning and don't turn while braking"... right? I managed to do both mistakes in one move, as I started turning into the curve I tapped the brakes to slow down a bit before I go more into the inside of the curve to take over the car ahead of me... while the brakes are applied I turned to the left to be in the first lane from the left side.

No surprise the rear end of my car lost traction and the car over steered to the left... the front end was going right to the center divider, again as every one knows when you are over steering to use opposite lock to get the car back under control... I did turn the steering wheel to the right about 90 degrees but for some reason the car kept over steering.

I started to freak out and added even more opposite lock and suddenly the car swinged back to the right and started spinning on itself and I was sideways all over the road...I was facing the right side road rail at this moment and still spinning to the right, I didn't know what to do so I slammed the brakes and prayed to God. :shock: :shock: :shock:

the car skidded till it went off the tarmac and hit a sand bank... the sand covered the car and I saw nothing, after the car came to a halt I noticed the road was in front of me... last time I saw it I am sure it was behind me... no idea how did this happen.

I started the engine and went a few meters to the front to get the woo off the sand and I noticed it was not moving correctly... I went out and saw both front tires are flat; some damage to the front and rear bumpers and the rear left wheel is not looking aligned.

I called a friend that lives near by and he came with his car and took both my front tires for repairs... he called me afterwards saying both tires are not punctured... they just went flat because I went sideways at a very high speed and then locked the brakes so the friction was so strong that the tires came off the rim's lip and went flat :shock: when he got back he showed me the braking marks on the tires... it looked as if you had a blow torch and burned the contact patch that was on the road :shock: :shock:

After I put the tires on and drove the car it sounded funny... loads of wining from the back... I suspected the rear left tire even more as I saw the lip of the rim dented and the wheel cover broken. I stopped to check, I found nothing off but the wheel didn't look right... I thought maybe I was wrong and drove away.

the sound is still their and increases so much past 100 kms... as I parked the car at work I smelled something funny and I went to check the rear left wheel and it was all covered with black grease... I took the wheel cover off and the hub cap was off and the grease allover the place and the rim was hot as hell.

I got a rug and loads of water and started cooling the damn thing bit by bit... meanwhile I called my mechanic to come check the car. After the things cooled down I removed the center bolt and removed the entire hub out... the outer bearing seemed to have a broken part and I couldn't remove the inner one as I don't know how to do it.

when the mechanic came he suggested I replace the bearings for starters... we got a set for 45LE (7.75 USD) and put them on and I tested the car for a couple of days... the mechanic suspected a bent axle right away as the bearings didn't spin freely even with the center bolt not that tight... also after every drive the left wheel is hotter than the right and the wheel still looks off, I called the mechanic and he said its either a bent axle or a bent suspension member... we will start with the axle.

I got a new axle on Monday and got it installed... once the old one was off and put on a flat surface it was clear that it is bent... almost looks like the Pisa tower... the wheel was spinning very freely now and it looks as it used to be when the car was back on the ground... went for a test drive and go up to 100 km/h and put the car in neutral to hear any sounds... non whatsoever... the woo is back to its old self now. :D

Guys... be careful... speed is a thrill but it can kill and no matter how good driver you are... remember that shit happens.

Drive safely.

MMamdouh
lol before u were pissed because u thought ur cars clutch plate messed up... now ur whole cars messed up

1st ur suppose to brake while turning... u turn better... unless u brake to hard without abs then u skid more... understeer
2nd ur suppose to turn opposite of ur turn... u done that... let the car have some gas when on an oversteer so u maintain control without oversteer... u brake u put ur car more onto an oversteer... u done that
conclusion... uve oversteered... u paniced... u didnt know how to control an oversteer and were lucky enough that no one bumped onto u during ur aggressive driviness lol... on an understeer ur suppose to hit some brake and do no gas so u dont understeer
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the advice man, i'll make sure you are sitting next to me at the next crash to give me instructions... you got life insurance... right?? :lmao:

actually the first oversteer might have been caused by too much foot brake, i tried to control it but i didn't have the engine braking into concedration so the car still have some oversteer even when i was on an opposit lock.

when i added more opposit lock i had no chance of using the throttle - and never thought of it either - as if i did so i would have rear ended the car i wanted to overtake in the first place.

i only used the brakes when it was all out of control... i was completly sideways and no other reaction could have helped, actually this is the moment when i panicked as i never have been in such setuation.

i had my fair share of oversteers, understeer, wheel locking underbraking and shit and i have survived them successfuly but at this particular situation i have made too many mistakes and that have should happened anyways.

just remebred that i had a brand new tire at the rear right tire and an almost bald tire on the other three... can a man be more supid than this??

BTW the alignment shop was busy as hell... got an appointment after 11 hours from now.

MMamdouh