The longest Thread ever!!!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Re: The longest Thread ever!!!

Post by daewoomofo »

not sure if its stock but ive seen a yellow lanos sport before

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

There's a yellow/light green lanos sport near where I live. Only one I've ever seen though... There's also a blue/green colour too.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I got my car inspected and the guy was like "holy shit, I think you got the last one still on the road"
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

A few weeks ago I saw a like-new condition red Lanos Sport up on the lift getting new tires. If I had not been with the wife and her friend on our way somewhere, I'd have stopped and talked to the owner.

There are still a few around and it looks like the ones that are left are the ones that are being taken care of by the owners.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

they have to be taken care of or they wouldn't be around! I wonder how many are sitting in junk yards or were crushed because people didn't know about this site?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I saw the movie Looper last night... I've never seen so many Lanos' is in a movie before :lol:
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

Looper? How old is that movie? Surprised they could find that many running Daewoos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

End of last year I believe.
It's a pretty good movie. It's action/sci-fi sort of along the lines of bladerunner but with Bruce Willis not Harrison Ford! :lol:

And heaps of lanos'. Pretty much all hatchbacks (including the yellow/green colour) and I think I saw a sedan too.
I couldn't say if they were running or not as they were all parked.

Aren't there heaps of new Daewoos still in the USA that just never sold? Or have they been crushed by now?
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

to tell you the truth, I don't know. I dont' think so. I almost never see one on the road. When I do we usually spot each other and give each other some type of wave or signal that "congratulations, you have one that runs too!" I stumbled upon mine years ago as an accident. it belonged to a neighbor of a family member. At that time people wouldn't touch them because of a bad reputation here. Some of it was deserved, but much of it was just because they didn't know what to do with the things. I know there had to be a fair amount of them around, but I have never found one in a junk yard either. Not even used parts dealers wanted them! When they sold them here they were cheap, then you couldn't get parts, then people wouldnt' work on them, it was always a problem of some sort. Had I not stumbled on this site I am sure mine would be scrapped already. I bought mine cheap and figured I would just use it for alittle while and scrap it when it broke. Then I was able to get a set of manuals from that daewoo.com site before they vanished, and find this site. Between that and this site, the girl is still kicking! Let's just a Daewoo is not exactly a "prestige" car that it may be overseas. Personally I don't really care as long as it gets me from point A to point B! when I call a parts store and give them a make and model, the usual first response is a laugh or chuckle. That's OK, she's cheap to run and still moving.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

"just keep swimming" - Dori
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

For when I buy another Lanos (note, not 'if', but definitely 'when') I am probably going to turbocharge it, again.

This time I'm going to do it properly, however - no blown clutches, a lesson learned.

Will most likely do it on another 1349cc 8v Lanos, as they are easy to find and can be found for around £500 with around 50k miles on the clock.

These last few weeks I have literally been waking up at silly hours in the morning thinking of new ideas (one involved a rear-wheel-drive conversion) knowing that this will not be a possibility for at least another year due to financial constraints.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone... keep the long thread going, ya'know.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

I know exactly how you feel... I had bad modifying fever before I did the engine swap... just lying in bed until 3 or 4am planning out the swap and being generally nervous/excited
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Ordered some parts for a new gaming PC last night, and it's going to be a beast! Should in theory have three times the processing power of the new Xbox at only two-thirds the cost.

If only it was that easy to spec-up a car, plug it all together and go wild! lol
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
NubiraTurbo

Post by NubiraTurbo »

Wow Rodd1s. A 1.3 8v Turbo Lanos. Respect.
Nubira 2.0 Turbo
Lanos 1.5
Alfa 156 2.0 TS
Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Focus 2.0 TDCi
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Rodd1s wrote:For when I buy another Lanos (note, not 'if', but definitely 'when') I am probably going to turbocharge it, again.
These last few weeks I have literally been waking up at silly hours in the morning thinking of new ideas (one involved a rear-wheel-drive conversion) knowing that this will not be a possibility for at least another year due to financial constraints.
I looked into a RWD conversion, it's a massive amount of work to make it functional.

There is at least one Front engine RWD Astra MK2 and one front engine AWD Astra MK2

Given the lanos is an exact copy of the MK2 Astra chassis with a totally different exterior and interior, it is possible.

One guy fabricated everything from scratch, the other fellow cut parts from a Calibra AWD and welded sections into his Astra.

Either way, it was lots of money.

The less expensive way is to move the engine/gearbox into the rear, weld in a tubular roll cage/engine support and weld over sheet metal to separate the driver from the drivetrain ( for safety )

Another method is to go with two engines, I remember a few years back looking at a Corsa with dual engines and gear boxes.

The guy could put his front engine in drive and his rear engine in reverse and do a burn out without moving, he turn the steering and rotate on the spot in a 360 degree pattern.

If I remember correctly he may have had automatics instead of manual gearboxes, it's been quite some time.

One of my big interests ( still is ) was to insert an electric motor at the rear end, that way I could have AWD and have better fuel mileage via use of electric for rear drive.

The idea was to use the petrol engine for starting off the line, then it would switch to electric once I am at cruising speed.

I was also going to have a big red button which would allow me to dump high levels of current into the electric motor for a short burst of acceleration.

With a short 30 second burst you can manage to produce several hundred horsepower.

You can't sustain it for long, the motor gets too hot and you burn it out as well it can drain the reserve batteries very very quickly and heat them up as well.

Last thing I thought about was a micro-turbine coupled to a generator and four electric motors.

Jaguar had a really cool prototype ( can't remember model ) which was an electric/turbine hybrid that made something like 1000hp

The micro-turbines can run on virtually anything flammable... cooking oil, diesel, kerosene, gasoline, alcohol

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos