Such low forum activity!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

7-even

Re: Such low forum activity!

Post by 7-even »

Agreed! Let's try and get some people back posting
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It's been so long I forgot my password!!!!

Efrain sent out a mass email on September 13,2013 with the new Domain Name.

Given I have not been on in a long time, I am unaware of any issues the forum was having.

Given there has been such low activity I assumed people lost interest in posting on the forum.

So........ did you guys not get an email back in September ?????

I have full access to the entire site, so I can generally speaking do whatever Efrain can do.

Let me know what you guys would like to do.

I would be tempted to give one of you access to the admin panel, but I have seen that go very badly in the past.

One of the Aveo forums I was posting on regularly was taken over by a few of the members, they locked topics and forced people to abandon the site and post on their own forum.

They stole posts from the old forum in an attempt to integrate it into their forum.

Needless to say, I was not particularly thrilled and let them know how I felt about it.

In conclusion, I have no problem following peoples suggestions, I do however ask that in addition to posting here, please PM me so that it shows up in my email.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I should also mention that we have 4183 members and 98% are inactive for quite some time.

I thought about pruning the membership, but there are guys who use to drop by the site once in a blue moon, so I'm not sure what is the best route.

Obviously mass emailing 4000 inactive users is not ideal, especially when many of the emails may be inactive.

I know with my other sites there are limits on how many emails can be sent out at a time ( or by month ) as they do not support "spammers"

I don't know what kind of package Efrain signed up for, but it is possible that the September Emails may have exceeded the max number of allowable emails allowed by the site hosting company.

What do you guys think? If I trimmed it down to say the last 100 active members that should catch everyone who is still active.

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well, I deleted all the inactive users ( about 1600 ), then I deactivated and deleted all the people that have zero posts and have not been on the forum since before 2012.

Needless to say, there are still two thousand members, so I need to look at active membership of people who have posted within the last 2-3 years.

Seems like that is a more manageable number at roughly 300
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Attempted a mass email to the remaining 2400+ members, however I have received errors, which I assume to be related to the total quantity of emails to be sent out.

I would have to manually enter each username unless I delete a large number of users ( which is time consuming due to the admin panel controls )
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well, I found a way to single out the individual members who have been active in 2013 and 2014 that have made more than 1 post.

The number was a more manageable 131 users, but I still received an email error in the admin panel :

However, I just checked my email and it seems that an email did go out, I'm just not sure if it reached everyone or only a selected number of users.

It's possible it emailed the first XXX people on the list before the errors occurred ( perhaps as I said, only allowing XXX emails per day or perhaps XXX emails at a time to limit the possibility of spammers )

Can everyone who reads this post let me know if the email reached them ?

Chris
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Sorry for everything Chris.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Well, I found a way to single out the individual members who have been active in 2013 and 2014 that have made more than 1 post.

The number was a more manageable 131 users, but I still received an email error in the admin panel :

However, I just checked my email and it seems that an email did go out, I'm just not sure if it reached everyone or only a selected number of users.

It's possible it emailed the first XXX people on the list before the errors occurred ( perhaps as I said, only allowing XXX emails per day or perhaps XXX emails at a time to limit the possibility of spammers )

Can everyone who reads this post let me know if the email reached them ?

Chris
Hi PrecisionBoost,

I just got a single email from <e_arias@hotmail.com> at 03:21 today. I don't remember having received one in 2013 about website name change. But it was maybe filtered by my mail box as spam.

Anyway I appreciate that the forum is "on line" again and in a good old visual shape. Because some time ago, even if I can login in the new www.daewootechforum.com , the presentation page was so blurred and messed up that information was not-accessible.
This lasted for a loooong time. I think that's the reason why so many active members gived up.

I appreciate and respect the work that you, administrators and moderators, provide for the forum and know that it takes time.
I also know that each forum has its "critical mass" of active members below which any forum slowly fall into oblivion. This is the law of nature: we are born, we live, we die.
I would like of course the forum lasts as long as possible because I'm attached to, having learned a lot in mechanical stuff and having met "virtually" dedicated and endearing people.

Friendly yours,
Daniel
7-even

Post by 7-even »

Hi Precisionboost! Good to see your still around. I haven't gotten an email but I receive notification on this post so I still see a little of what's going on. Thanks for all your hard work
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Efrain A. wrote:Sorry for everything Chris.
Care to elaborate? Considering you are posting in the only active thread here..

As for the emails, I never received any email back in 2013 about the name change, nor one this time around..

I'm pretty sure we lost most of the people during the name change... I still think many could come back if they knew..
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Daniel wrote: Anyway I appreciate that the forum is "on line" again and in a good old visual shape. Because some time ago, even if I can login in the new http://www.daewootechforum.com , the presentation page was so blurred and messed up that information was not-accessible.
This lasted for a loooong time. I think that's the reason why so many active members gived up.

I appreciate and respect the work that you, administrators and moderators, provide for the forum and know that it takes time.
I also know that each forum has its "critical mass" of active members below which any forum slowly fall into oblivion. This is the law of nature: we are born, we live, we die.
I would like of course the forum lasts as long as possible because I'm attached to, having learned a lot in mechanical stuff and having met "virtually" dedicated and endearing people.
I was having the exact same issues for the longest time...

Also I totally agree with your comments Daniel.

Chris: I think emailing the last 200-300 active users as you mentioned is a good start.... Too bad we can't just email EVERYONE and let the dead email addresses bounce.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't know what to say, this daewootechforum.com has been up, functional and running since last September and Efrain sent out mass email.

Again, I have received the one in September and again I have received the one I just sent out.

I'm 99% sure it's an issue with respect to the hosting company only allowing a specific number of emails to go out.

Hopefully you can see it from my perspective, Efrain changed over the domain name and got everything running fairly quickly and I think we both assumed the mass email worked.

I was simply under the impression people were not that interested anymore and that perhaps many of them were simply "browsing" the old Daewootech.com forum.

You have to remember that 90% of the people that come on the site are just looking for answers, most do not register and of those that do, only 10% actually submit a post, and out of that 10% only 1% post on a regular basis.

So from my perspective I felt that there are really only 50 people that would likely migrate to the new site, which doesn't even come up in Google if your trying to find it.

It's a sad state of affairs, I'm super busy all the time and there are months where I work over 100hours per week, 6-7 days a week

I'm so frustrated with my lack of time I sold the "GSi" for next to nothing to someone I knew would work on it.

I easily have $80,000 in performance parts, cars and half finished Opel/Daewoo projects.

Needless to say, I will admit that Daewootech has been fairly low on my priority list.

That being said, I'm here now, I'm going to try and do what I can to figure this out and see if I can bring back a few users.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote:
Efrain A. wrote:Sorry for everything Chris.
Care to elaborate? Considering you are posting in the only active thread here..
That post from Efrain was for me and he does not need to explain himself to anyone.

This forum was started by Efrain due to his enthusiasm for Daewoo cars, he paid for this site out of his own pocket.

He has not profited from keeping this site going, nor does he have any obligation to keep paying the hosting fees.

Sure he could throw up a pile of ads and try to use that to pay for the site hosting, but the new domain name has little value due to how new it is.

The person "helping" him to get the site up managed to keep control of the domain name and that dick of a person wants thousands of dollars to release it.

Needless to say, it's a shitty situation but neither of us are going to pay a dime to this individual who has control of the original domain.

Perhaps you might not like me for saying this, but everyone should thank Efrain for taking the time ( and money ) to set everything up on the new domain as he could have simply quit and let the site die when Daewootech.com was hijacked.

The only reason "daewootech.com" is still up and showing the forum is due to the fact that the other guy needs to try and keep some "monetary value" in respect to the site.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

exist3nce wrote: Chris: I think emailing the last 200-300 active users as you mentioned is a good start.... Too bad we can't just email EVERYONE and let the dead email addresses bounce.
Easier said than done, I'm going to have to figure out the max number of emails I can send out during a given day/week/month then make a list of those who have been send the email and those who are still left over.

I already tried doing this after the "mass email" I sent out, but the admin panel gave me generic errors.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok.... here is another way.... I'm simply going to go through posts and email users, going to start from the longest post ever .

Emailed May 19th....

daewoomofo
benzino
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
daewooluvr
puddle31
Rodd1s
buddah102

emailed may 25

gse-turbo
jidasas
NubiraTurbo
MMamdouh

emailed May 28

xiaogary
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos