Bought a new Chevy Sonic (T300, gen2 Daewoo Kalos)

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Bought a new Chevy Sonic (T300, gen2 Daewoo Kalos)

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

So a week after buying my wife the new Chevy Captiva (Daewoo Winstorm) SUV, I decided my Lanos needed some more work than I could comfortably do one weekend at a time. So, we went out and bought a 2012 Chevy Sonic sedan, 5 speed manual transmission, 1.8L.

To be honest, the factory stereo has a lot of features, but not much in the way of actual control over the music. On top of that, the factory speakers sound, well, like they have mud on them. They're very lacking in frequency response and tonal reproduction.

It has tweeter mounts in the A pillars, but I do not yet know if there is anything actually in them. I will be replacing all 4 door speakers and, if it has them, the tweeters, or just adding them if there are none there.

It absolutely needs a subwoofer of some sort, but I do not know if it has any outputs for it.

So far, the only thing I have thought about changing is the air box for a cone filter. Not even sure if a front strut brace is available for it.

I will be posting pictures later in the week after it stops raining and I can find a good location to take nice photos.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Re: Bought a new Chevy Sonic (T300, gen2 Daewoo Kalos)

going to get more pics posted after the weekend
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Splash guards have been ordered.
Making an appointment next month to get the windows tinted with 50% front door glass and 35% on all glass behind the front doors.

Still trying to figure out if I want to lower it or not; it handles quite well as it is now, but some better handling springs and a lower center of gravity couldn't hurt.

There is no place for a front strut brace as the front struts mount into the main unibody frame, just forward of the A pillars, located under the plastic trim that covers the wiper arm assembly.

There are a few cone filter intakes available, but all look to cost between $100 and $200. There are longer cold air intakes available, too, but the price jumps for those.

I've already installed the sunglasses holder inside above the driver door where I removed the grab handle.

If I install an after-market touch screen navigation system, I lose OnStar, but will keep the steering wheel control functions if I add the adapter module.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:So a week after buying my wife the new Chevy Captiva (Daewoo Winstorm) SUV,
Cliff
I didn't think the Captiva was for sale yet, I don't even see it on the Chevrolet.com site.

All I can find is about how they are bringing them in from a mexican plant for fleet sales.

Seems strange that there is almost zero information on it.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

It is sold as a fleet vehicle only and not for retail sales. The one we got for my wife was a very lightly used ex-fleet vehicle with very low miles that still looks like new inside & out. It is also sold as the 2012 Saturn Vue. We got the extended warranty, so it turns out it not has a better warranty than if we had bought it new.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Australia has had the captiva since 2006... It's quite popular here
we get both the opel antara version and the chevy captiva version both sold as a "holden captiva" 5 or 7 seat
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~