Sick of spammers!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Sick of spammers!

Post by benzino »

I think he meant tag it using the "report this post" link

is using that link useful for you or doesn't it really make a difference?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

PrecisionBoost wrote:The killspam was an interesting idea but it actually increases my workload.

Normally I simply delete the spambot and all it's posts, however, if someone replies to the spam by using the code word I have to manually remove their post as well, which doubles my work at a minimum.

If a spambot does 10 posts then I only need one control command to remove all 10 in one shot.

If each of the 10 posts have replies of "killspam" it means I have 11 commands to remove all posts.

Honestly, I've started to use search terms like "nike" "ugg" "boot" "shoe" and others to locate all posts.

I do also search the word "killspam" but like I said, it's less work if I just go ahead and find them and delete them myself.
i think using the "report this post" button is far better... it makes the post marked in red and gives moderators a chance to collect all spam posts from one spammer as soon as they come across one report rather than going through all the killspam marked posts and deleting the spam posts as well as the killspam posts

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was just fooling with the report link, I agree it is probably the most efficient.

I can't do much from the admin side of things other than to delete the post, but at least it will alert me.

I can also see the moderators log, so quite often after a Mod has deleted a post or topic I go in an deactivate the accounts and or prune multiple accounts.

I've managed to catch some new spammers before they post, problem is the best way is through a specific email

Now they are resorting back to using hotmail and yahoo accounts, which doesn't let me prune entire spam groups because it is such a broad filter that all people with those accounts get deactivated, which I don't want to do.

I know we have piles of people using yahoo, google, hotmail but it certainly makes it hard to get rid of spammers who like to use those free to sign up email accounts.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos