Sick of spammers!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

Sick of spammers!

Post by Daniel »

I'm sick of those spams. Most of new messages are from spammers.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Sick of spammers!

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Try being the guy that has to delete all the posts :(

Spam sucks, I try to do my best to get rid of it asap but they are pretty good at getting through the automated security these days.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

currently looking for something that fixes this.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I know you're working hard to remove all that s...t.

On a electronic forum where I go sometime the first post of every new member is delayed by 2~4 days before being visible on the board giving thus some time to staff to look at unwanted posts. Maybe a (partial) fix?

BTW do you prefer that we give you the "report flag" or the reply "killspam"?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The killspam was an interesting idea but it actually increases my workload.

Normally I simply delete the spambot and all it's posts, however, if someone replies to the spam by using the code word I have to manually remove their post as well, which doubles my work at a minimum.

If a spambot does 10 posts then I only need one control command to remove all 10 in one shot.

If each of the 10 posts have replies of "killspam" it means I have 11 commands to remove all posts.

Honestly, I've started to use search terms like "nike" "ugg" "boot" "shoe" and others to locate all posts.

I do also search the word "killspam" but like I said, it's less work if I just go ahead and find them and delete them myself.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

what about captcha for posting

or no free email addresses

or a question at sign-up like "how many litres does a DOHC lanos have?" or even "how many tyres does a daewoo have?"
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

If the spambots can get past this style of security:
CC.jpg
(49.3 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
Then they can get past most Captcha style security for posting.

I did post about getting rid of all the "free" emails, but now it seems 90% of the spam emails are unique companies.

They seem to register a domain, spam the hell out of the board and the next time the email is different.

They usually register 10+ names spam all at once with one post per name it's really quite pointless to spend time trying to ban via email or IP

The only real way to fix the problem is to have each and every registration go through either Efrain or myself, but we are both extremely busy and there are times where it is weeks before I would get time to go through each registration.

If it were weeks before getting an acceptance to registration it could decrease the number of new users from coming to the forum.

These days the new Daewoo's are being covered under other GM forums ( example Chevrolet Cruze ) so we are seeing fewer people joining in the interest of modifying Daewoo's and more people who come on here to ask about getting a particular part or asking about a particular problem with the drivetrain.

Usually the people modifying Daewoo vehicles stick around, most who signed up to ask a maintenance question leave after one or two posts.

In short, my opinion is that it's a tough situation, either we make it hard to join and possibly loose a large portion of new registration, or we leave it easy and put up with some spam here and there.

Although the Spam is annoying it's not like we are getting hit with hundreds of posts, it seems like perhaps 10 a week.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

What about upgrading the privileges of mohamed or someone else who is on here a lot, like myself or daniel, or puddle?

Can the spam really get through those captchas? I can't even read that! Lol
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

benzino wrote:What about upgrading the privileges of mohamed or someone else who is on here a lot, like myself or daniel, or puddle?

Can the spam really get through those captchas? I can't even read that! Lol

As a moderator you could delete posts, but it leaves the spambot in they system

If I delete the user then it gets rid of them forever.

Unfortunatly the ability to delete users is a fairly high level and would require the ability to log into the administration control panel.

It seems many of the current moderators are no longer on the forum much and others have given up on spending a significant amountt of their time deleting and moving spam posts instead of reading/posting for themselves.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

At this point most of the work is being done by MMamdouh, GSE_Turbo, Efrain and myself

I have to see who else has moderator rights, I know there are atleast 2 or 3 that aren't here anymore
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

But they can only delete posts not users right?
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Oops didn't see the post above.
Yeah I'm not sure what the solution would be... All the suggestions I made seem not to work
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hmmm... the email ban doesn't seem to be working, I can't figure out why.

I did however just realize I can prune via email address, allowing me to remove about 15 spam messages from about 12 different new users all in one quick move.

I wish I had realized that before, I was administrating users 1 by 1 before, now it only takes me about 30 seconds to log into the admin panel and delete them.

The PHP version definitely needs an upgrade but Efrain needs to get involved for some of it.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

sorry I was making it worse doing the killspam thing. I thought that helped you. I guess if I see that crap now I will just tag the first one and you can then delete that user rather than having to go in and also take out all my posts. Would that be better?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

No worries, I was one of the people to suggest the Killspam, I just didn't realize how much extra work it would be.

If you want to tag it, that is fine, but if you happen to notice a situation where you've tagged something and I delete the spam post but your tag remains, please delete your post afterwards so that I don't have to clean up as much.

I am trying to make an effort to be on here on a regular basis, work has slowed down so I'm not putting in 30hours of overtime each week ( I'm at work right now :( ) so I should hopefully be able to keep on top of things.

Now that I realized I can mass delete based upon email address it has helped me a bit, instead of taking 10 minutes to delete 10 spam posts it now takes 1 minute.

I still can't figure out why the email banning isn't working, seems strange.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos