Computer upgrading

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Pir0
Expert

Computer upgrading

Post by Pir0 »

Riiiiight.

I have an old pc. I'm going to uni this year and will most likely be using Autocad and SOlid works. The thing is, my pc atm will strugglewith those. The dilema is, whether to fork out for a new one or upgrade old parts.

Only problem is, it's running DDR1, and AGP graphics.

I've worked out, I can get a decent upgrade for around 200gbp. Including a 512mb ddr2 agp gfx card, 550W psu, 2gb of ram, and a 500gb hdd. This should be suffice along with my 3600 Athlon 64 to run the likes of autocad and solid works right?

I don't wanna hafta fork out 400+gbp for a new mobo, processer, pci-e gfx card, psu, hdd and ddr2 ram.

What do you think? Is it worth spending 200gbp on to get me through the next year-3 years of uni? I dont do much gaming anymore, so dont need anything too serious. ALl i use it for is coming on the web, music and chatting, along with possibly autocad and solidworks in the future.

Anyone any advice?
SAZ
---------------------
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

Could try ebay you can get good one there for a get price, it where i got mine from for my bedroom, it runs quite afew programs at once
and it only cost me £60
this was just for the base unit
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

before i give my advice, i'd like to say that ive built near on 10 or more computers in recent years so i know a fair amount.

ive seen computers with lowers specs perform reasonably well using software such as autocad, prodesktop, blender and even 3dstudio max. my main computer has specs very similar to what u've listed, if not slightly lower spec in places (128mb grfx card, 3500+ amd cpu...) and when it comes to having to use 3d modeling, cad/other design software that can be rather power hungry i've never had a problem to the point where im unable to still check my email or chat on msn whilst something is rendering - just make sure u run XP instead of vista (as u will need to reinstall an os after the upgrade) cos its much better for multitasking, especially on a 64bit cpu, unless ur gonna be running any other os then i cant give much advice.

i know its been a bit of a rant, somewhat pointless... but my head's still spinning from last nights bottle of rum. hope it helps
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Mmmmm rum.

But yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I need a new hdd anyway, going for a 32mb cache, 500gig sata is gonna happen either or. If I go for the gfx card, i'll need a bigger psu [only got a 400w atm] and I may aswell upgrade my ram, i'm running the shittest, most mismatched ram ever atm, a 512, 256, and 128 at varrrrrrrious speeds so I need shot of that lol..

It just sucks. I mean, I've actually already spent my student loan in my head on stuff i genuinely need. New bike, new clothes, new pc bits and book for uni. So annoying to see it all dqindle away... STILL HAVENT BOOKED MY TEST YET ><!
SAZ
---------------------
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Ordering the hdd probably on monday. As for the rest, gonna ask one of the tutors just how much work like that i'll be doing at home and ask him is it worth upgrading depending on the amount of work i'll be doing at home vs in the uni.
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

still upgrading?

another thing to consider is overclocking... ive always bought the cheapest stuff i can find and just overclock it all. lol

here's my current spec list (just feel the need to list it lol):

ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA mobo w/ nForce chipset and upgraded BIOS for better overclocking
AMD Athlon XP 64 x2 @ 2.2 GHz overclocked to 2.8GHz, Vcore: 1.3v
2Gb ram @ 266MHz overclocked to 333MHz
128Mb AGP GeForce FX grfx card @ 66MHz overclocked to 77MHz

that grfx card is more than 2 years old, the cpu and ram and motherboard just over a year and theyve never let me down.

2 things ive recently bought is a 650w PSU and heatpipe cpu cooler, but even now the cpu runs at between 30-35 deg. celcius. (can get it down to about 20 deg. celcius with a reverse overclock/underclock lol without using a fan)

im a bit of a geek as u may notice lol.

another thing to consider if u want good processing power for rendering is the older socket A dual CPU motherboards, they're about £100 but well worth it if u can spend the money, but then u also need 2 amd athlon MP (not XP) cpus, which are bout £30 to £50 each. can get expensive, but it'll be worth it.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

what about thinking of water cooling than you should be albe to overclock it ever more
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

hell get an air conditioning system for it!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I asked a tutor in my class and he said there wont be much, if any cad work until next term/year. So im gonna hold off for now.
SAZ
---------------------