help me to remember something...

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

help me to remember something...

Post by gse_turbo »

I'm trying to remember which opel chassis some of the saabs are related to. I'm wanting to bring over a Calibra but I need to know if any of the saabs have a related chassis.

Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

Vectra! :smt116

was there ever a Calibra veriant in the States or Canida?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

As far i remember the Vectra A or Cavaliers in the UK, 4x4 turbo, i think it is (similar years of the Calibra) share the same chasis of the Calibra ... i dont remember well but theres a Saab that shared the same platform or very similar to the Calibra/Vectra
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

I hope so. I'm trying to bring in a Calibra as a parts car for my Lemans. the easiest way to get a complete car in is if there is a similar version already here, which is why I'm hoping the Saab is based on the same chassis.

what I'm after is doing an AWD conversion and the Calibra rear end bolts right up to the MK2 chassis :D

Garrett
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Yes the american vectras are what we call Cavaliers over here. But i'm pretty certain the Calibra and vectra/cavalier floorpans are different. However the calibra was said to be a cavalier coupe pretty much.

And the calibra rea doesnt just bolt up :P I think it's slightly wider. Another thing is then modifying the bulkhead/underneath for the propshaft.

I honestly do not know if there's a saab equivilant of the calibra or cavalier. I know they sahre some of the same parts, but i don't know if it's the exact same floorpan. Try the saab 900.
Although i dont think they ever came in a 4x4 version.

Here's a pic of dimensions if it helps.
SAZ
---------------------
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

thanks Paul,

... how about anything from Saturn, anyone know if they used a Calibra chassis?

Paul, you said the calibra rear doesnt just bolt up, I've seen a couple MK2's and MK3's with Cali 4x4 conversions and from what I read it was pretty straight forward, I'm I missing something?

Garrett
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

:? I guess whoever told me the Cali rear suspension would fit under the MK2 was full of it.

I found a couple options anyways, I can bring everything from a Cali over for $1000 + postage.
...OR I can try to bring over the transfer box, rear dif, etc. to use with my F16, it's not been done before but it looks like it will work. it would cost about $400 + postage.
...OR I can use the AWD transmission transfer box and rear dif from an Isuzu Impulse RS (if I can find one). also never been done before but everything can be found here in the States.

which way do you guys think I should go?
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

I would get the strongest gearbox you can make fit/work......... knowing the reputation of the weaker ones....
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I belive that the newer Saab 9-3/9-5 ( 2004 and newer ) are the ones that share the same chassis as the Vectra.

I have all the Saab EPC/Service manuals and there are components that are compatible between the MK2 and Saab ( really nice front end aluminum suspension parts )

I belive Stefan is using Saab parts in his MK2 if I remember correctly

It's also possible to use the Calibra/Cavalier/Vectra hubs if you want to convert to a 5 bolt pattern.... but of course that pattern is wierd one.... can't remember off hand.... think it's 5 X110

I belive that is also the pattern you will find on the Saturn L-Series as well as a few others

I'm pretty sure the L Series was based on the Vectra B..... engines were the Aluminum Ecotec 2.2 and the good old 3.0L V6.... which was also in the Cadillac Catera ( aka Opel Omega )

Don't quote me on this stuff.... it's been a couple years since I was heavy into the "which american cars had Opel parts in them" search

As far as AWD in an Astra I belive that the only ones I've seen have been ones where they've actually cut out the floor pan of the Calibra and transfered it over to the Astra ( seen it on a MK1 and a MK3 )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

PrecisionBoost wrote:I belive that the newer Saab 9-3/9-5 ( 2004 and newer ) are the ones that share the same chassis as the Vectra.

I have all the Saab EPC/Service manuals and there are components that are compatible between the MK2 and Saab ( really nice front end aluminum suspension parts )

I belive Stefan is using Saab parts in his MK2 if I remember correctly

It's also possible to use the Calibra/Cavalier/Vectra hubs if you want to convert to a 5 bolt pattern.... but of course that pattern is wierd one.... can't remember off hand.... think it's 5 X110

I belive that is also the pattern you will find on the Saturn L-Series as well as a few others

I'm pretty sure the L Series was based on the Vectra B..... engines were the Aluminum Ecotec 2.2 and the good old 3.0L V6.... which was also in the Cadillac Catera ( aka Opel Omega )

Don't quote me on this stuff.... it's been a couple years since I was heavy into the "which american cars had Opel parts in them" search

As far as AWD in an Astra I belive that the only ones I've seen have been ones where they've actually cut out the floor pan of the Calibra and transfered it over to the Astra ( seen it on a MK1 and a MK3 )
Just one thing, you cannot use the 5 stud hubs off a 4wd calibra if memory serves me correctly, nor off an omega. Need to be a fwd version, like the cavalier v6.

ANd as Chris said, the underneath doesnt just bolt up at all, as i said, there's no tunnel in the bulkhead, there's no tunnel underneath for the propshaft, and there's no room at the back for the rear diff. The floor pan does need to be cut out, and modified, as you also need to keep the rear strut turrets from the calibra. It's pretty complex if you ask me and if you really do love your car I wouldnt start chopping it up ^^ So so so many things can go wrong once the floorpans out of a car.
SAZ
---------------------