Bye Bye 2000 Lanos Hello 2004 Cavalier

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Mike

Bye Bye 2000 Lanos Hello 2004 Cavalier

Post by Mike »

Last Saturday I bought a 2004 Cavalier. I traded in the 2000 Lanos. I went in looking for a 2004 Kia Spectra 5-speed, but I ended up test driving a bunch of cars. I didn't think I'd end up with a used 2004 Cavalier automatic sedan. Then too I didn't have any idea that you could get rubber with an automatic Cavalier. I had heard of the ecotec engine but I didn't know how it was with an automatic. I was impressed enough to buy it.

Well.. I probbably won't be around much but to those of you who knew me for a short time, it was great being here, this is a great site. :)

-Mike
-Mike

2000 Lanos automatic (traded in)
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
bluesheepbrian
Expert

Post by bluesheepbrian »

Well good luck and have fun with the Cavalier, check the forums that they have, they are just as informative as we are. :D

But hate to see you go though :cry:
2002 Daewoo Lanos HB
www.evo-imports.com
www.myspace.com/bluesheepbrian
"Beating a Honda is like banging a fat chick. Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?"
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Good luck....... you might need it :P

I have very very low opinions of mexican assembled cavalier's ..... I worked at a GM dealership for about 6 months and you wouldn't belive the things I saw.... doors falling off.... damaged paint..... grease on the carpet and seats....mechanical problems....the list goes on. (these are brand new cars!!!!)

I'm not trying to scare you..... I just hope your VIN number doesn't start with "3"

If it's "1" or "2" then no problem because it was assembled in the USA or Canada.... but the evil "3" can bring doom to the unlucky owner..... just ask my neighbor.... he had wiring problems because of poor workmanship.

It turns out that one of the wires wasn't pushed all the way into the connector that attaches to the ECU so it was only making contact part of the time..... so they would be driving along and all of a sudden the car would just go dead.... in the middle of a freeway during rush hour!!!

Since he purchased his 2003 Cavalier it's been in the shop more than 20 times..... he said he tried to get rid of it but the resale was so low that he couldn't afford it ( dropped $5K in the first 6 months)

I don't know if all the new Cavaliers are assembled in mexico but I'd stay away from anything bearing the evil "3" at the start of the VIN.

Other than that they are decent cars... lots of power... lots of aftermarket parts available.

Good luck.... and who knows maybe you will trade it in on another Daewoo/GM in the future.

I personally only trust "J" and "K" which stand for made in Japan and made in Korea.

I like Honda's and Acura's but I won't buy one if it's not assembled in Japan.... now adays many of the Hondas are assembled here in Canada and the USA..... which is better than Mexico but certainly not even close to Japanese standards.
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

if you post your Vin number I can post all the specs for you here
Mike

Post by Mike »

Erfinder wrote: I'm not trying to scare you..... I just hope your VIN number doesn't start with "3".
I think I might have to run outside RIGHT NOW an look at my VIN.

I will post it.

The dealer had a carfax report on it since it was used. So far nop problems whatsoever.
-Mike

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
Mike

Post by Mike »

whew!! VIN starts with 1G1J

NOTHING LIKE SCARING THE CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE!!

"not trying to scare you or anything but all the ones built Mexico that I have seen burst into flames at 55mph"

:wink:

Thanks for info. Good to know.
-Mike

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

If you want to know where your car was made or any info post your vin I will show you

Refer to this new thread http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... 1384#11384
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Good thing it's a "1".... like I said.... I walk away from anything showing a "3".

Here is something the dealer would not like me to mention....

One time we had a batch of Mexican Cavaliers that came in with damage to the paint.... the train had produced small super hot metalic flakes which had burned into the clear coat.

Usually the cars have that plastic covering them but for some reason these ones didn't.

You couldn't see the flakes because they were so small but you could feel them if you ran your hand accross the hood of the car.... little tiny bumps everywhere.... probably about 10 bumps per inch.

Anyways.... they gave me this acid gel to rub on the car so as to soften the clear coat..... which would allow for the removal of the small metal fragments from the train.

Needless to say I'm sure I removed a good portion of the clear coat in the process... and then they were power polished by the autobody shop.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to buy one of those cars.... I don't imagine the paint lasted very long.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm sure you will have good luck with your American assembled Cavalier.... you should go to the JBODY forum.... lots of cool GM stuff there.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Erfinder wrote:I'm sure you will have good luck with your American assembled Cavalier.... you should go to the JBODY forum.... lots of cool GM stuff there.
I'm there.

I'll be peeking in here every so often just out of curiosity. :)
-Mike

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

My friend's wife just bought a 2005 Cavalier.

All I can say is WOW.
How the hell do they expect anyone over 6ft tall with long legs to FIT in that car?!?!?

With the seat as far back as it can go my knees were against the dash; it was one of the least comfortable seating positions of any car I have ever had the displeasure of cramping myself into.
Although there was less leg room in the 1996 Mazda Miata I tried to fit into, it at least had more knee room and my knees were not pressed against the dash.

Just think of what happnes to your knees if you are involved in a severe front end crash when your knees are against or almost against the dash?

The car was so uncomfortable, I did not even try to drive it, so I can not comment on it's accelleration or handling.

Cliff
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

HOW TALL ARE YOU DAMMIT!?

LOL

Yeah, I'm 5'10 and had issues fitting in my friend's Cavalier.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

BosnianLanos wrote:HOW TALL ARE YOU DAMMIT!?
I'm really not all that tall, only 6'2", but my legs from my hips to my knees are long so I have a hard time fitting in most smaller cars. Thankfully, my Lanos has plenty of room for me.

Cliff
Mike

Post by Mike »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:My friend's wife just bought a 2005 Cavalier.

All I can say is WOW.
How the hell do they expect anyone over 6ft tall with long legs to FIT in that car?!?!?

With the seat as far back as it can go my knees were against the dash; it was one of the least comfortable seating positions of any car I have ever had the displeasure of cramping myself into.
Although there was less leg room in the 1996 Mazda Miata I tried to fit into, it at least had more knee room and my knees were not pressed against the dash.

Just think of what happnes to your knees if you are involved in a severe front end crash when your knees are against or almost against the dash?

The car was so uncomfortable, I did not even try to drive it, so I can not comment on it's accelleration or handling.

Cliff

It's all a matter of adjusting the seat. I am 6" tall. I have the butt part and backrest tilited back. My kness are not against the dash, and it's an automatic so I can stretch out my left leg all the way... that's another reeason I didn't buy the 5-speed, the pedals are too close.

The legroom in the Cavi is about exactly the same as in the Lanos.. 0.9 inches less front legroom in the Cavalier.
-Mike

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier